Any build experts willing to help out a newbie?

ledvedder

Hi guys, I really want to build this amp! To me, this is exactly the tone I'd love. But, the only thing that I have available is the youtube clip and the schematic. I'm not even sure where to start. I suppose I'd need to source the parts, since the kit he built upon is only available from Germany. Just wondering if anyone would be willing to help me out?

Attachments

• PX18-1.png
    PX18-1.png
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,634
It looks like it would be built like a 50W smallbox but with EL84s. Can you order the kit from Germany without transformers? Is it the shipping that rules out just ordering it from Germany?

Last edited:
It looks like it would be built like a 50W smallbox but with EL84s. Can you order the kit from Germany without transformers? Is it the shipping that rules out just ordering it from Germany?

They do ship to the US. The problem is that there seems to be no build documentation. Only the schematic and layout

Yeah, that looks just like a Friedman circuit.
Isn't Dave doing a Smallbox mini with el84's as a custom shop amp?
I thought someone posted a vid of one recently.

Yeah, that looks just like a Friedman circuit.
Isn't Dave doing a Smallbox mini with el84's as a custom shop amp?
I thought someone posted a vid of one recently.
Yes, and I've been talking to Dave about modding my Runt to Smallbox specs. So, this is essentially the same spec as a 20 watt Smallbox?

Yes, and I've been talking to Dave about modding my Runt to Smallbox specs. So, this is essentially the same spec as a 20 watt Smallbox?
Yeah, it's very close. Just a couple small things different. The higher gain signal path is pretty much the BE circuit Dave uses in most of his amps, including the Smallbox and Pink Taco. Not sure what's in the runt.

I know from your other threads that you're not knocked out by the Runt 20 you just picked up.
I'd maybe suggest trying a Pink Taco, and see what you think of that, before you send the Runt in for modding. It is also based on the BE circuit, but it will probably be a little rawer and brighter than the Runt. If that does the trick, you'll save yourself some cash.
However, a 20watt smallbox would be a very cool amp. The Custom Shop Smallbox 20 pics I've seen look like a modded Runt, so I guess if you send your runt to Dave, that's basically what you'd end up with.

Either way, I think you're better off working with Friedman than trying to build an amp from scratch, especially if it will be your first build.

Yeah, it's very close. Just a couple small things different. The higher gain signal path is pretty much the BE circuit Dave uses in most of his amps, including the Smallbox and Pink Taco. Not sure what's in the runt.

I know from your other threads that you're not knocked out by the Runt 20 you just picked up.
I'd maybe suggest trying a Pink Taco, and see what you think of that, before you send the Runt in for modding. It is also based on the BE circuit, but it will probably be a little rawer and brighter than the Runt. If that does the trick, you'll save yourself some cash.
However, a 20watt smallbox would be a very cool amp. The Custom Shop Smallbox 20 pics I've seen look like a modded Runt, so I guess if you send your runt to Dave, that's basically what you'd end up with.

Either way, I think you're better off working with Friedman than trying to build an amp from scratch, especially if it will be your first build.
Yep, I've been speaking with Dave. He seems like an awesome guy. It sounds like he can get me exactly what I'm looking for.

Yep, I've been speaking with Dave. He seems like an awesome guy. It sounds like he can get me exactly what I'm looking for.
Yeah Dave's awesome. Best customer service in the biz. :rock:
Are you going to return your amp and buy an amp direct from Dave, or ship your amp in for the mod work?

I have a super-shittily built 6v6 powered 2061x based amp that a friend of mine made for me years ago as a just-for-fun thing. One of these days I should gut it and try building a proper amp out of it (it does have Mag Components transformers at least)

I have a super-shittily built 6v6 powered 2061x based amp that a friend of mine made for me years ago as a just-for-fun thing. One of these days I should gut it and try building a proper amp out of it (it does have Mag Components transformers at least)
This is a cool circuit:
Google "Suhr Hombre" to see what it sounds like.
The Peach Guitars demo is killer.

Attachments

• Fender 6G3.PNG
    Fender 6G3.PNG
    75.1 KB · Views: 411
This is a cool circuit:
Google "Suhr Hombre" to see what it sounds like.
The Peach Guitars demo is killer.

Is that the typical vintage Tweed Deluxe circuit? I do have a VVT Simo-Plex which is basically a handwired tweed deluxe; awesome amp. Ideally if i rebuilt the the 2061x thing i’d like to keep it in the Marshall wheelhouse; like maybe a mini 2204 type thing. Idk how feasible that is

It's actually an early 60's Brown deluxe with the bias wiggle trem. I suggested it because it's a simple 6V6 circuit that sounds killer.
The Brownface amps are the next step in Deluxe evolution, and are a little tighter and a bit more "Marshall-y" than the Tweeds when cranked.
If you already have the Simo-Plex, than it would be sorta redundant, except for the trem part.
I can't remember the 2061 x circuit off the top of my head.
Let me take a look and see what Marshall thing would be the easiest mod path from a 2061x.

Edit: LOL! the 6G3 and the 2061 are damn near the same amp, less the trem.
In doing a little google search, I found this scheme for cascading the channels in a 2061. Looks interesting.
Unfortunately it looks like the links to any demo's are broken. Seems like guys thought it sounded good though.
Sorry about the low res. Maybe you can find something better.
swankmotee 2061x mod.gif

Last edited:
Back