Any PRS players here? Opinions?

romanianreaper

I've never owned and probably never played a PRS. I was thinking about getting an S2 and was curious how these guys cover rock and metal? My bass player has PRS but I'm clueless.

Wondering about weight and tone compared to a Les Paul. I have a Strat as well.

I’ve contemplated selling all of my guitars many times and just buying PRS’s. They are simply the best to me. It took me years and years to finally buy one, but every single time I’d pick one up i would think to myself why the fuck am I not playing nothing but these things. Just my opinion, I love them though especially the newer models.

Great guitars, I’ve had a bunch. I bought a new DGT in 2011 that’s fantastic, I’ll never sell it.

Although except for the DGT, I’ve never been a fan of their pickups. To be fair, I haven’t tried a new one in awhile.

If you want to get into a PRS without spending $3k, I like the CE22/24 over the S2 series.

They're great rock guitars IMO, they have a nice thick sound that could get a little muddy for metal. You could always remedy that with a pickup swap, but for the me the pickups are a big part of what I like about them.

I’ve contemplated selling all of my guitars many times and just buying PRS’s. They are simply the best to me. It took me years and years to finally buy one, but every single time I’d pick one up i would think to myself why the fuck am I not playing nothing but these things. Just my opinion, I love them though especially the newer models.
Sone guy was playing an SE in the store yesterday and even that sounded amazing. Thanks for the input!

If you want to get into a PRS without spending $3k, I like the CE22/24 over the S2 series.

They're great rock guitars IMO, they have a nice thick sound that could get a little muddy for metal. You could always remedy that with a pickup swap, but for the me the pickups are a big part of what I like about them.
I never understood why their pickups don't seem to lean towards hard rock tones. They would have a great audience for that.

The SE’s are really nice for the money. I’d really like to try a silver sky one day. a buddy of mine is a Strat only player and he was impressed.

I never understood why their pickups don't seem to lean towards hard rock tones. They would have a great audience for that.
My girlfriend bought me a CE22 a year or so ago ...... I did rip the pickups out right away though .... I put a Super distortion in the bridge and a Steve Morse in the neck ...... friggin love the way it plays and sounds

The S2's have shitty pickups. That said, an S2 594 Singlecut used are a good bargain at times if you look hard enough. Just upgrade the pickups and they're great guitars! If you want a real Core, the Stripped '58 used can be found at good deals, ($2000-$2200), and the 57/08 pickups are absolutely fantastic.

I love them and wish I could buy another. I have an early 2000's Custom 22 Ten top with birds. Why I don't play it MORE is a mystery, cause it sounds and plays great and it's a swell looker. I did however swap out the Dragon II's that came with it (For the venerable JB/59 combo) as well as converted the 5 way rotary switch to a toggle, with the McCarty wiring harness (push/pull outs for coli splits.) WAY BETTER after these mods.

I’ve owned numerous PRS guitars. Multiple private stock, several core, artist grade etc etc. they’re all finely made guitars. Even the se lines. One thing I will say is I really hate their pickups for rock and metal. The lone exception is the prs \m/ pickup set. You’d be hard pressed to find better made guitars at any price point. One poster said the ce line is a great deal and I couldn’t agree more. Same with the old standard 22/24.

I have a Custom 24 with Suhr Aldrich pickups that’s an absolute monster. Amazing guitar with exceptional quality. I also have an SE Silver Sky that is fantastic for the price point. I’m mainly an ESP guy but PRS is right there.

I finally came to the realization a little while ago that I may be a PRS guy. They just play and feel so good. I currently own a CE24, McCarty, Custom 22 and McCarty 594, all core models. Never tried the SE or S2 lines. They’re so easy to play it definitely feels good on fast shredding type playing. All I play is metal/hard rock. Neck scale is much easier on my hands as I’ve gotten older.

Their pickups are good, just on the low power side for me. But the metal pickups \m/ are amazing. I currently have \m/ pickups in the Custom 22 and the McCarty, a set of DiMarzio Evolutions in the CE24. I’ve been trying several options in the 594.

The CE24’s are the real deal, they’re bolt-on necks instead of Set, only real difference from the Core Custom lines. You can find good deals on used CE24’s and you sell the PRS pickups for good money if you don’t like them. Just keep in mind when buying that if the pickups have an “S” on the end, those are the imported cheaper and sound a little different, don’t sell for much.

They do not make Core Custom 22 any longer, you can get those in the low $2k range all day.

The S2 line is American made guitar with all imported hardware. Same build quality wood wise, same factory, just a different body carve that is easier and cheaper to make.

I hated the pickups in mine at first, but a took some advice from a buddy who'd had a few and gave them some time...

With bright marshall-esque amp, in a band context, I think is where they really shine. I'm glad I decided to leave mine stock, but they definitely have a sound that's not ideal for every player in every situation. I wish they had more options that leaned in that direction, I probably would've bought another one years ago if they did.

Back in December 2021; after having 2 brand new defective electric guitars; An Ibanez RG421HPFM Blue Reef Gradation and a Charvel ProMod DK24 HH 2PT CM Quilt Chlorine Burst, and having to return them, I decided to order the PRS SE Custom 24 Electric Guitar - Faded Blue Burst from Sweetwater and is my first new PRS guitar. Been an awesome & versatile guitar and upgraded the tuners to the PRS SE locking tuners and my other guitarist got the PRS SE Custom 24-08 in Eriza Verde finish and also upgraded the tuners to the PRS SE locking tuners and that guitar is super versatile as well :cool:

Last edited:
I have a friend who LOVES PRS. It seems he gets a new one every week because he posts on FB about it. I know he has two private stocks and probably a third on the way. I think spending over $10k on a guitar is crazy! But then again, he loves the brand.

I have a PRS S2 Standard 24 satin. Its a workhorse guitar. I put a set of Fishman Fluence Killswitch Engage pickups in mine as the stock pickups weren't my flavour. Sometimes I feel the neck shape is too chunky for fast passages. The trem stays in tune well, but not as well as the gotoh 510.

I love them and wish I could buy another. I have an early 2000's Custom 22 Ten top with birds. Why I don't play it MORE is a mystery, cause it sounds and plays great and it's a swell looker. I did however swap out the Dragon II's that came with it (For the venerable JB/59 combo) as well as converted the 5 way rotary switch to a toggle, with the McCarty wiring harness (push/pull outs for coli splits.) WAY BETTER after these mods.
It's good to know that a JB can be thrown in there and get a solid tone. I'd probably keep the neck pickup in one I got because I barely use the neck but the bridge would have to be changed I think.

Back