Any Steve Lukather style lessons out there?

cragginshred77

I've seen a few good videos on YT. Steve's and others but curious if anyone feels like they can cover his style in Face time type lessons? To break it down and go in depth?

Check out my buddy Guido Bungenstock from Germany.

He's got a crapload of GMC lessons and also does one-on-one over the intermanets.

Steve himself has said he really likes his playing, as do I. He's heavily influenced by Steve and can go into fusion territory if you wanna go that far.

Check out my buddy Guido Bungenstock from Germany.

He's got a crapload of GMC lessons and also does one-on-one over the intermanets.

Steve himself has said he really likes his playing, as do I. He's heavily influenced by Steve and can go into fusion territory if you wanna go that far.
What is 'GMC' ? I found him on IG and sent a mesg (y)

Last edited:
When I was first getting ‘serious’ about playing, my guitar teacher at the time bought that Steve Lukather Star Licks video. When I watched the intro solo with the backing track - and then the final unaccompanied ‘show-off’ solo at the end, I had to have a copy for myself and memorized every single lick. Pretty slow and unconvincing at first, but smoother a quicker over the years. I got to the point where I could burp those licks out on Command - but they never really found their way into my ‘style.’

Fast forward - another guitar teacher said that if you want to have more of someone’s style, don‘t study that player - study whoever that player studied. I remember Steve Lukather giving props to Larry Carlton several times throughout his lesson - and Larry had his own Star-Licks lesson (Which of course I snapped up). Larry’s lesson wasn’t as high octane as Steve’s, but it definitely got me moving in the right direction as far as how to add those slightly ‘outside’ notes and cool chromatic passing tones in my own playing. I still don’t sound like lukather, but I can more easily cop a few of the things he does so well from studying the Larry Carlton stuff.

(So if you dig Zakk Wylde- go track down the entire Frank Marino / Mahogany Rush collection.)

Yes, at the 12-second mark.

The classic Luke "descending in 4s run".
I got in touch with Guido, killer player! I bought one of his mini solo lessons with backing track and vid. He doesn't tell you anything about such as -this is the lydian mode, however he responded on IG messenger. It would be cool if he added a one paragraph blurb stating the key/mode ect.

Cheap enough to get a taste though. Did you take lessons from him?

Back