Anyone buy a shed from one of the box stores?

MadAsAHatter

I’m going to be purchasing a shed of some sort soon to use as my workshop. I’m not planning on running electricity to it, but may eventually set it up for solar. It’ll have to go on the ground/leveling blocks as well; no slab. Due to limited access to the area I’ll need something that can be put together on-site. Of all the options I’ve looked into, buying something from Home Depot or Lowes like a Tuff Shed seems to be the best.

Anyone buy a shed from one of the box stores and have it installed on site? Which one did you get? Has it held up well? How was your experience with buying and installation? How would you rate your overall experience?

I bought a pre fab shed from one of those places along the road around here. It's decent quality. Also have a kit shed from 84 lumber years ago. It's probably at least 30 years old and still solid. I would recommend the kit one for your situation. It's the same as the pre built only it had to be assembled. Honestly I would do a pole barn style and add a floor. Do a shed roof. Easy Peasy. I built a horse barn for a buddy about 15 years ago and we had that mofo built quick. And it was big.

or build a platform and then raise and level it. Then build your walls individually and raise them. Add trusses and purlins. Put your metal roof on and dry in with t111 or however you want. That would be quick and easy by yourself. You got the skills-I have seen your shit you've made.

Bought a used 12x20 Cooks portable warehouse shed for $800. Dug 6 piers 48” deep, belled out like an elephants foot at the bottom, with 12” Sonotube, put three beams ( tripled up 2x12s) on it and set the shed on the beams. Paid more to the guy with a big wrecker to set it on my beams than I did for the shed. I live on a river and the piers go from 26” above grade to 40” above grade. 2’ higher than the highest recorded flood level. I mixed 113 bags of concrete by hand. Had the piers dug and poured in a weekend. Buried electric in conduit from the main panel on my house out to the shop. 110 and 220 outlets. Built a deck off the front.

or build a platform and then raise and level it. Then build your walls individually and raise them. Add trusses and purlins. Put your metal roof on and dry in with t111 or however you want. That would be quick and easy by yourself. You got the skills-I have seen your shit you've made.

I probably could build it, but I'm not over inclined to tackle this one. I'd rather take the easy way out and pay a crew to put it up over a day than take weeks building it myself. And the f-ing HOA has dumbass rules like no metal roofs.

I built a pretty stout 12x16 shed covered in corrugated tin roof and sides. Framing was 2x4, rafters weter 2x6 and plenty of hurricane strap and rafter hardware. Sheathing was plywood and I tyveked it under the corrugated. Post beams were 6x6. Ran me about 5k but it should be lifetime quality. No electric outlets or porch yet though I'd like to connect it to the main house with a wooden walkway someday and have a ramp for storing motorcycles or lawn equipment in there and a carport off to one side..

I noticed on many of the Lowes sheds the exterior sheathing is also the exterior finish siding and it' the sort of chip board where if you don't keep a good coat of paint on it it will degrade over time. Otherwise they look like pretty decent sheds especially if you give it a good foundation. I could live in something that size..

Back