Anyone ever shipped from the US to Sweden?

Fedex, talk to the person at the counter. The biggest thing is for them insure it for your sale amount not to declare a value of goods. When I had to do this in the past I wrote in a value for insurance but wrote on the bill of lading that the item was already the buyers property and I was shipping it back to them so it had no sales value. Basically, the item needs insurance value but no declared value otherwise they will have to pay customs duties.

GOHOINC":18up2hsj said:
Fedex, talk to the person at the counter. The biggest thing is for them insure it for your sale amount not to declare a value of goods. When I had to do this in the past I wrote in a value for insurance but wrote on the bill of lading that the item was already the buyers property and I was shipping it back to them so it had no sales value. Basically, the item needs insurance value but no declared value otherwise they will have to pay customs duties.
Yeah i did something similar about 9 years ago on a Jackson to a guy in Sweden actually. I THINK it was the guitar player from the band Grave...

Watch out for CITES. Might get your instrument confiscated by customs without correct permits because of that rosewood fretboard.

Snave":18u0q9go said:
Watch out for CITES. Might get your instrument confiscated by customs without correct permits because of that rosewood fretboard.

Thats a good point that we used to not have to worry about. Reminds me that I need to do some research!

edit: FYI looks like the only trade suspension in CITES database is for madagascar rosewood. No other rosewood is listed with a trade suspension. Same goes for Madagascar Ebony as well.

Good question, I stopped using USPS for large items because I have been getting better rates and faster service using Fedex in recent years. I still ship small stuff like pedals with USPS though. That being said I had a successful guitar shipment to Japan some years ago using USPS with insurance and no additional taxes for the buyer. So its certainly worth a closer look, might take a bit longer to get there though...

Chris O":2ko1dev7 said:
I'm seeing DHL & Fedex as 3-4x more expensive than USPS... Does that sound right??
I think it is cheaper because USPS ships to the country, and then their postal system takes over. UPS/Fedex still use their own service all the way through. AFAIK. I would google "USPS to Sweden" and see if anything pops up. I know I turned down a sale to Italy because of what I found on Google, lots of shady stuff through their postal system. I wouldn't ship Fedex or UPS overseas because of the cost.

I live in Sweden and I've had loads of stuff sent to me from private sellers. I think USPS and FedEx is the best options sending. I've had problems a couple of times when using DHL. I bought a Suhr guitar from a store in LA and DHL tried to deliver it during the day when I was at work. I tracked it and noticed that it was a failed delivery attempt, so I gave them a call. Lucky for me I was working as a security guard at the time and one of our clients was the office in Sweden that was to deliver the guitar. Why is that? I'll tell you...the guitar was to be sent back to LA because I was at work at the time of the first and only attempt to deliver it to my door. So I talked with the boss and told him that I could pick it up later that evening because they were on my route. Said and done.

I think it's strange that they only tried once and then was to send it back. When dealing with FedEx and USPS they deliver it to a pickup point if I'm not at home at the time. And if I'm not picking it up in 7 days I get a reminder in my mail telling me that I need to pick it up within the following 7 days and that parcel will be returned to sender if I'm not.

So to make a long story short. Stay away from DHL and go with FedEx or USPS when shipping to Europe...at least when shipping to Sweden.

GOHOINC":1bcjh201 said:
Snave":1bcjh201 said:

Thats a good point that we used to not have to worry about. Reminds me that I need to do some research!

edit: FYI looks like the only trade suspension in CITES database is for madagascar rosewood. No other rosewood is listed with a trade suspension. Same goes for Madagascar Ebony as well.
This. Make sure of Swedens required Documents. The US requires the Homeland Security Form, an invoice clearly stating what it is, and the Lacy Act form,.

Back