Anyone have one of the little Splawn Nitro SS 50W heads?

BSRIAudio

Im currently using an EVH 5153 50-watt head in my heavy band rig but the high-mid emphasis of the EVH gets a little thin on a one-guitar band. Im looking to keep the small form factor but get something a little darker and thicker with more of the Splawn low mid. Has anyone had a chance to play these two heads and compare? Price seems pretty reasonable and I've always liked my 100W quickrod.

gtrplr71":252r23bu said:
Have you tried an EQ to tweak out or in the frequency you would like?

I could put an EQ in the loop but I dont currently have space for one on my board and am always a little bummed when I have to go that route. I used to use EQs with my Uberschall and Recto but not any more.

I guess what Im looking to find out is if the Mini Nitro is as aggressive as the full-featured Splawn heads and if it can hold up to heavy fast music in low tunings. The EVH manages very well and its incredibly loud and punchy but the EQ isn't my preference and it would be a hassle to get in there and mod the tone stack.

Last I checked (so I may be wrong) the SS heads are 22 watts. Splawn make a 50watt full sized Nitro or the Super Comp which is just the dirty channel. The Super Sports are low wattage lunchbox sized monsters.

JerEvil":2sv3qyaz said:
Last I checked (so I may be wrong) the SS heads are 22 watts. Splawn make a 50watt full sized Nitro or the Super Comp which is just the dirty channel. The Super Sports are low wattage lunchbox sized monsters.

They make a 50-watter with EL34s now too.

I was asking Scott about these a few weeks ago. The 22 watt he did not recommend if you are playing with a drummer. The 50 watt is the way to go.

Unfortunately I could find no clips or reviews on the 50 watt so I dont know how many Scott has made but cant be many. I have abandoned my idea for wanting to buy the 50 watt but Zim still curious about its sonic character and how it pairs up with the 100 watter. FWIW I have a 5153 Stealth, Mini and Nitro 100 watt. The 100 watt Nitro owns any mix I have ever put it in.

stompboxfreak72":1enhbvh0 said:
I was asking Scott about these a few weeks ago. The 22 watt he did not recommend if you are playing with a drummer. The 50 watt is the way to go.

Unfortunately I could find no clips or reviews on the 50 watt so I dont know how many Scott has made but cant be many. I have abandoned my idea for wanting to buy the 50 watt but Zim still curious about its sonic character and how it pairs up with the 100 watter. FWIW I have a 5153 Stealth, Mini and Nitro 100 watt. The 100 watt Nitro owns any mix I have ever put it in.

I have a 100W QR that I really like. I actually have plenty of big 100W heads that sound killer but my rig is exceedingly large as is with two guitar cabs and a bass cab so Im trying to keep the guitar head small so it will fit right on top of my bass head rack case. Its a whole weird thing with octave pedals and such to make a one guitar w/ drums band sound huge. Seems like this little head should just be a 50W nitro without some little bits like the resonance control which I probably don't need.

Yeah my intention was to get the 50 watt head with a smaller vertical 2x12 splawn cabinet. I cant currently carry my own gear to gigs ( my bandmates roadie me) and I wanted to downsize to keep things simple.

I bet the 50 watter is a mean little machine.

Went ahead and ordered one for a tour I have in June. Ill report back on it when I get some shows in.

crwnedblasphemy":pw0eoviw said:
There's one on ebay

I didn't notice that one is an SS because its in a big headshell. I need one in the mini headshell so it can fit on top of a rackmount bass head.

Back