Anyone lose out holding a piece of gear for someone to buy?

If someone doesn’t have the money right away i.e. I’ll pay you on Friday” I won’t do it. 99% of the time if they don’t have the money now they won’t have it then either.

I’ll only hold it if someone seems serious but might live farther away and can only come on a certain day etc…
If there’s something I want really bad and can’t get there right away, I’ll send a deposit to hold. I actually had someone sell something on me while I was on my way to get it!!! Even worse are the guys who try to inflate the price after you made the deal “well I know you said you’d buy it but someone is offering $100 more. If you can match it I’ll hold it for you..” ya right..

I always reach out in that scenario , saying got offers waiting so if you want it still need to throw some $ down or something to hold your spot . Like any other deposit .

Ya I’ve lost out selling things by holding . The guy I was holding for flaked and the other person interested bought something else

Yep. Non refundable deposit from now on.

Also had people try to negotiate prices, I agree and then they tell me they’ll have the $ in a week. Dude if you don’t have money why are you trying to negotiate?!

If someone doesn’t have the money right away i.e. I’ll pay you on Friday” I won’t do it. 99% of the time if they don’t have the money now they won’t have it then either.

I’ll only hold it if someone seems serious but might live farther away and can only come on a certain day etc…
If there’s something I want really bad and can’t get there right away, I’ll send a deposit to hold. I actually had someone sell something on me while I was on my way to get it!!! Even worse are the guys who try to inflate the price after you made the deal “well I know you said you’d buy it but someone is offering $100 more. If you can match it I’ll hold it for you..” ya right..
Yea I'm with you on that. My only thing is I had people hook me up holding gear for me. I had amp modders wait on me to pay them after doing mod work and I got back one of my old Marshalls cause the seller waited on me. Plus I never really needed to badly unload something in years so me holding something is my way of paying it back to all the guys that have held stuff for me. Although I know there's a good chance of getting screwed I just say all well, everything sells eventually.

I've lost count how buyers have bailed on me over the years , now I won't bother, either you're ready to buy now or move along , I'm not a store,
I don't f'n layaway, I take Paypal put it on your card, if you'll have the cash on Friday pay off the card on Friday.
this shit annoys me to no end

This is just one of the reasons I have a pile of gear laying around instead of extra bux in savings.
Flakey people,shipping woes and typical bullshit after the sale just made me say "fuck it".
Nothing seems worth it anymore. I'd rather keep the stuff than go to the trouble to sell it.
Note to all of you....this is how old men wind up with a bunch of valuable stuff their families have to get rid of once they are dead.
I thought it out and made a portion of my will just for the gear.
I’m glad you have willed me the DAR amp .

Any of you recall dealing with Steve K. ... if you dont have the money ready to send right now, dont even contact him at all about it, thats the price... you dont like it, dont buy it.. no holds.... However... he was also known to hit you up and say he I know you wanted one of these pay shipping and its yours....I have a number of things from him..

Never again, after this experience (10 years ago) : I placed an ad for my Peavey 6505+ and there was a student immediately responding that he would pay my asking price if I could hold the amp for a month because he just began with a job (during summer holidays) and would get paid in a month. There were a couple of guys that also were interested in buying the amp but for less.
The student was almost begging me because at the time there were no Peavey 6505 or 5150 amps for sale in my part of my country. So I said OK to that student. A month passed and he contacted me, asking if I could hold the amp 14 days longer because he had some repair bill(s) for his scooter.
I said OK..
After 14 days, I heard nothing from him.
I waited another couple of days and contacted him and he said that he already bought something else.

Another experience I had was when I had a deal with a guy, I would buy a PRS guitar case but would come and pick it up (and pay) the next day, because I was at work and the day after I had a day off. The next day I was on my way, in fact I was just a couple of miles from his place and he gave me a call that someone else had bought and picked up the case.

I think this has happened literally every time someone has asked me to "hold" an item I was selling for them.

I just don't do it anymore

Any of you recall dealing with Steve K. ... if you dont have the money ready to send right now, dont even contact him at all about it, thats the price... you dont like it, dont buy it.. no holds.... However... he was also known to hit you up and say he I know you wanted one of these pay shipping and its yours....I have a number of things from him..

Steve K and another user was how I found out about these forums after buying amps from. Kicked tires on an amp he had on Reverb (I was nervous w/ him being in KSA) and eventually bought it two days later and received a much more interested response.

Back