Anyone refret a let paul with ss jumbos?

My custom came re-fretted with jumbos and it plays fantastic. Two things to watch out for though. 1, you may need to raise your nut height and 2, above the 17th fret it can get a little difficult to fret notes cleanly. I'd suggest narrower fret wire for everything past fret 15.

I thought about this too when I did mine and .110 wide Jescar is fine on a short scale, I don’t have any problems.

CDD73E6A-F3DD-414B-B94F-8A42458BE48B.jpeg

Ive refretted 3 Les Pauls with Jescar SS frets.
2 of them with with medium jumbo (51100). The other with jumbo (57110)
I cant say one is better then the other, both feel great imo.

I had my Gibson Appetite Amber refretted with s/s Jescar 55090 frets. All my other guitars use the same s/s frets too.

I can never go back to nickel frets after going s/s. Sound wise, I've never noticed enough of a difference to care about.
I'm considering doing ss frets on my LP and possibly 335. This size seems like a good option. How are they different than stock frets?

I'm considering doing ss frets on my LP and possibly 335. This size seems like a good option. How are they different than stock frets?
I did the stainless XJ on my les paul. It's interesting. I do think overall its easier to play and I would do it again. A lot less effort to get the note out (both in single notes and chords with less applied grip strength). The one thing that took me time to get used to was quick slides, particularly into legato. I was used to the lower, narrower frets giving me less resistance on the fretboard, and so it was a simple glide to the note. You definitely get more "speed bumps" during these maneuvers.

I still love the SS jumbos I put on my LP in 2020'ish. Difference from stock, in feel anyway, became very noticeable after playing the new frets for a bit and then picking up a LP with stock frets.

I like bigger frets so that difference worked out great for me. The SS frets are so slippery it took me a minute to get used them. However, I could see myself refretting any other keeper guitars with these for sure.

I do have a 2002 R8 Les Paul that had factory frets when I bought it, and did not noticed any tone difference at all when the guitar is plugged in, after I had the frets replaced with medium SS frets. It stayed pretty much the same on both clean and distorted tones. Matter of fact, this particular Les Paul had a very nice, smooth top end, with very punchy midrange and very focused and tight low end, compared to my other Les Pauls, both before and after the SS were installed.
I has a pair of Alnico Pro 2 humbuckers, which are low output, in it, and this combination it's just incredible in this guitar.
The fret job is just incredible, and was done by Eric's Guitar Shop, in SFV. My all time favorite guitar tech for fret job. No bad spots, ghost notes, half ass polished frets... his work is flawless.
That makes the guitar play perfect, and the tone and intonation to be at it's best.
I promised myself I'll only use SS frets from now on. Specially on my vintage guitars.
I know Eric, the Jescar SS are flawless. I have them on one of my king v Jackson's.

Wanting to put jumbo’s in my Axcess. I had my 72 custom refretted with Jumbo nickels and love it. After reading this thread I may go stainless on this one. That’s my only issue with Les Pauls is the small frets. I’m used to Jumbo’s in my Charvels.
The hard part is finding someone you trust to do the job. I have had guitars fucked up in the past by people who came highly recommended.

Wanting to put jumbo’s in my Axcess. I had my 72 custom refretted with Jumbo nickels and love it. After reading this thread I may go stainless on this one. That’s my only issue with Les Pauls is the small frets. I’m used to Jumbo’s in my Charvels.
The hard part is finding someone you trust to do the job. I have had guitars fucked up in the past by people who came highly recommended.
Stainless and an Axcess seem made for each other.

Had SS jumbos put on and pleked for both of my LP’s by Philtone back in ‘14. They’re great. I won’t get a refret without SS.

I've worn out every Guitar I've owned with traditional Nickel type Frets..
My new guitars have SS and they are great.
Nothing worse than trying to hit open Chords that are out of tune because the notes are sharp from a worn out Fret on the 3rd String..

I've worn out every Guitar I've owned with traditional Nickel type Frets..
My new guitars have SS and they are great.
Nothing worse than trying to hit open Chords that are out of tune because the notes are sharp from a worn out Fret on the 3rd String..
I’m a heavy fretter… yet my 7 year old Charvel, which is played daily still has new frets. They are not SS, but they don’t wear and stay shiny. 🤷

Back