Anyone traded in gear at Guitar Center before?

My experience with the local guitar center was that they were really slimy about trade in values, tried to give me untrue stories and basically take it for as less as they can. I actually have had better luck at sam ash, when trading in towards gear. Possibly it has everything to do with personel at the time.

no offence, but trading in a Mark iV for an alchemist seems like you would be getting the crap end of the shtick. Personally don't think the alchemist is anywhere near what I hear from the mark.

I did once, they gave me 1/4 of the value, really not worth it.

Mark IV for alchemist? :confused:

I'm sure you could find an Alchemist owner ready to trade.

You may as well bring a bottle of lube with you so it doesnt hurt too much when they try to stick it in your leather cheerio.

Stratboy151":1cb5kkfg said:
do they give you complete shit for your stuff? im so close to bringing my mark iv in for an alchemist head..
Expect no more than 60% of ebay values for your trade. As for the Alchemist, keep in mind that the resale on those really blow. I bought one new at GC ($1200) and tried to trade it in 3 months later. They offered $450 on the trade. I listed it on craigslist and it took me over a month to get $600 for it. It was mint and never left my house.

scottosan":2b2eq029 said:
Stratboy151":2b2eq029 said:
do they give you complete shit for your stuff? im so close to bringing my mark iv in for an alchemist head..
Expect no more than 60% of ebay values for your trade. As for the Alchemist, keep in mind that the resale on those really blow. I bought one new at GC ($1200) and tried to trade it in 3 months later. They offered $450 on the trade. I listed it on craigslist and it took me over a month to get $600 for it. It was mint and never left my house.

hmm i guess ill just sell privately, alchemists dropped to 899$ btw..

I've traded in some stuff to the local GC before. You just have to be firm about how you do the deal. It also heavily depends on which store you go to; try to find a super busy store where the managers would rather be selling Strat Packs than dealing with you. Also, a lot of stores like to see what your item is selling for on eBay. Do research ahead of time on what's currently being listed. Finally, the higher volume stores are more likely to be looking for used gear, and will offer better prices. If you go to a shitty GC that hardly sells anything, they'll be hesitant to buy anything from you.

It also helps to find a piece of gear and gauge how much they want to unload it on you for the trade. I did this with the Suhr S1 I bought from them and basically walked out the door with it for cost, plus they tacked on $200 more to one of my guitars I was trading in just because I wasn't willing to budge on my offer. Remember, it's just like gambling: you always keep in mind what your bottom line is, and if it's crossed, then you move on.

Same goes for buying a car. You NEVER answer them when they ask you how much you're looking to spend, or how much you're willing to pay per month. This lets them have the bargaining leverage. Make THEM make YOU an offer. Then you up your offer to your dream price, and from there find the middle ground. If they're not willing to play, then walk away. My dad and I have both had car salesmen call us after we've walked on a deal. Nothing looks worse in a performance review than a customer who walks away.

Finally, you can't be emotional about it. Sales guys HATE when a cold-hearted asshole like me walks in the store. They want to play on your emotions because it's going to move you toward an irrational decision in their favor. And with the Targets and Wal Marts slowly killing the art of haggling, a lot of sales guys really have no idea how to react when you actually put up a fight. If you can make them become emotional about it (remember, they're thinking about bonus bonus bonus), you'll gain the upper hand.

-Russ

Depends on the store and your relationship with them. I've had them give me VERY close to full used market value for a few things. No shipping hassle or wait time. I agree with the busy store thing above. It also helps if they don't have a million of what you're trying to sell :LOL: :LOL:

They offered me something like $350-400 for my almost mint Washburn acoustic (payed a G for it) and Carvin MTS head, also mint. :no:

A buddy of mine manages a GC here and he told me never to trade in gear there, he said they rape you and basically give you like 40-60% of the used value. He also said they look in their computer and it tells them how much they are allowed to offer you for it. That's from the horses mouth :LOL: :LOL: I'm sure they'd love to screw you out you markIV though... :yes:

They are gonna rape you on a trade. I was offered 600 for a mint Petrucci. I said no, but thank you anyway. I have had better luck on other stuff like recording gear or mikes.

Hello...Guitar Center is in the business of selling things for a profit.

If a new guitar has a list price of $1500 and an advertised price of say $999, then the cost of that guitar is around $600-$700. If you bought it new for $1000, and GC can get them all day new in the box for $600, what do you think your used one is worth as a trade in?

What you get is about $400 assuming the store thinks they can sell it for a profit. Don't want to accept wholesale for your gear, then sell it yourself.

Some people don't have the time or desire to deal with places like forums, ebay and craigslist, so they trade.

It depends what store you go to and what demand for products they have. I've gotten some unbelievable offers from stores, for my JCM 800, I was offered $300, $750, and finally was given over $1100 + 15% off anything because the store I traded it into had amazing sales on JCM 800s and Marshall in general. You just something have to test your luck and be willing to try a bunch of stores. Usually though, they give you 60%-80% of fair market value on any given day.

ANY music store is going to stab you in the face if you trade. I worked at a music store where we told people that their best bet would be a small deposit to hold an item, then they sell their item they were going to trade, and then pay cash. If they kept insisting on a trade then we'd also offer to sell their item for them on consignment, which we'd take 20% of for displaying/selling it for them.

Our last resort was a trade, and we would also tell them what their item was going to sell for. We did this because we did not want the customer to feel ripped off, but when you do a trade at a retail store you will be VERY lucky to get over half of what the item is going to resell for.

Pete

Sell it in Rig-Talk's classified section and then buy an Alchemist. A Mark IV for an Alchemist? I am a Mark fanboy but that really is an unfair trade. If the Mark IV is in excellent to mint condition you can easily get anywhere from $1,200 to $1,450 on most gear boards (especially at the Boogie Board).

Back