Anyone use a distortion or OD in front of the renegade?

veets987

Was curious what OD pedals some peeps might be using to push it into a little more hi gain territory. Not really going for a metal tone just a bit meaner sounding.

I've got a Wampler Pinnacle that I use. The only drawback is that it has to be used on a very clean, clean channel to sound good. Dial the gain back to the left of 12:00 and it sounds great.

Thanks for the reply! I will have to look into that one. Anyone have any experience with the Suhr Riot pedal?

Sorry,i don't have a Riot...but i'm using a Klone (clone :yes: ) or a Maxon OD9.Those two are the ones i prefer with the Renegade.

I have a large Pedalboard built around a TC G-System that I'm building a new board for, it's all in bits and can not be arsed to finish it to be honest. My OD pedals are a xotic AC plus and a Okko Diablo, both very nice sounding. Used together a Rothwell Heartbreaker and a Jam Red Muck for a awesome Gilmour tone. But the only pedal that Ive been using for the last couple of months is a Rothwell Atomic Boost and nothing else, on all the time. I love it so much I may not go back to using the G-System. The Heartbreaker is the best overdrive pedal I have, you can use it as a boost or a overdrive. It has both bass and treble knobs for the EQ and a switch for low gain and high gain, the whole thing sounds amazing. I have some sad crappy sounding vids on youtube you can have a look at..

https://www.youtube.com/user/silanman/videos

The best sounding one is the 12.06 one, forward to 7mins in to get past the Z Cable close up bit..

hope that helps.

I am using a proel ds 10 in front of the renegade but not for distortion,only to brighten/tighten up the sound a bit.
A fuzzface in front of channel 2 and a tubescreamer before channnel 1 does sound great but at the moment i don`t need them..

For the TS Sound I use a Green Rhino, for just more of what the amp already has I use a Red Lliama and to Fatten up the tone for blues/rock leads and such I use the Pork Loin all by Way Huge. All three are just for color and not riding the front end very hard with any of them. The amp sounds great by itself.

Just got a Xotic EP Booster "triple black limited Edition", shit the bed it's good, even full on you get no noise just jaw dropping awesomeness.

Nice.jpg

Keith Johns":37a3snnb said:
Just got a Xotic EP Booster "triple black limited Edition", shit the bed it's good, even full on you get no noise just jaw dropping awesomeness.

Nice.jpg

I just looked into that pedal. It sounds like its pretty badass. Does it make your gain a bit more agressive when you have it on with channel 2?

My last boost pedal, Rothwell Atomic Boost, you would get to a point where you couldn't turn it up any more, you would start overloading and you could start to hear ugly distortion. With the EP Booster your sound gets fatter and you can turn it all the way up and it just adds a nice big warm saturation, that SRV blues breakup strat sound that you need to play loud to get is what this thing does and as you turn it up it adds more and more. Its not gain, it's fattness, where the Rothwell was all volume, if that makes sense. My Renegade is a very good sounding amp, not the best but for the money, very good. With the EP Booster it's spot on retro blues rock awesomeness. I would love a Dr Z Z Wreck, but would I be happy......The Renegade does everything I want and together with the EP Booster now I think it's my dream tone. I have loads of overdrive pedals that over the years have made my pedalboard get bigger and bigger, but at the moment all I'm using is the Renegade, delay and a boost pedal, didn't think I would better the Rothwell but the EP has blown me away. I wish I had found one years ago. Does it make your gain a bit more agressive....it gives it more thickness so you end up taking gain off which in turn keeps the gain tight and your eq opens up. Rolling off the guitars volume to clean things up then turning it up to add the gain for lead work gets stupidly easy as my amp just seems to be working even better. I hate to say this......it's TONE in a pedal, lovely transparent tone in a pedal.

Back