ANYONE USING 6L6's w/ HERBERT?

RoidRage

I was wondering if anyone uses 6L6's with their HERBERT?

I just tried Them... I got the TAD 6L6CG-STR's They are supposed to have the best bottom end and PUNCH That I like.

I was really happy with my SED 6550's That really were pretty neutral and had the Best Punch & bottom end that I'd heard from the amp, but I was not able to get a
certain sound I wanted. I had Heard Lee Richards ex- Godsmack guitarist sound he gets with his Herbert in the band Another Animal... Here is the Song, It's called "Broken Again"
Really Great! He get's this Grinding, Droning Deep sound that I could not match with the 6550's... Here's the Video.. It really get's going @ 3:18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJM6wv08lQQ

I definately do get that sound with the 6L6's for sure... It's just now the amp seems so one sided, and no good for anything else... Not Very Versatile like it used to be... And is a bit
congested, and compressed... And the Cleans do not even come close!

I just wanted the forums thoughts...

Thanks,

Roid RAGE

I personally do not like the 6L6 type in Herbert. I mean just look at it; "6L6" looks like a nerd, yeah? The right eye with the glasses temple, the nose pointed to the right, and the left eye with the glasses temple.

Anyways, I digress…I play many different styles of guitar from heavy metal, just metal, metal metal, prog metal, hard rock, just rock, blues & chop sticks. I learned the last one from MAB.

I find that the 6L6 type tends take away some of the precise articulation that is inherent to Herbert. I very much like the punch of the EL34, namely the E34L to be specific. I've been through and tested many different power tubes in Herbert. Out of all of the power tubes that I have played with and witnessed in Herbert I have always come back to the JJE34L. It has it all (for me), a deep and tight low to low-mid range punch and is very aggressive. Its cleans are outstanding and the JJE34L really marries well with Herbert, just my advice, stay away from the JJECC* preamp tubes. They tend to be too dark for my taste, but your mileage may differ.

In the end, as always it's up to you to determine which barrel of monkeys lights your fire. You got Herbert so why not through a pair of 34s in Herbert and determine if in fact that combo clears up some of what is currently bothering you.

Back