Anyone using impulse responses with heads full time?

itsgoodnow

Hey all,

I have 5 cabinets right now and am debating just moving to using IRs and my studio monitors. Is anyone doing this full time? If so do you feel you’re missing out on any part of the experience? Just thought I would poll the audience here. Thanks

I use IR's a ton, I really wouldn't expect the same experience at all as playing in the room with a cab. The closest comparison would be if you are used to having your amp and cab mic'd up in a booth in a studio and you only ever heard it mic'd up through studio monitors/headphones.

For replicating a mic'd up tone, its indistinguishable if done correctly. For playing through and listening to, its not the same as playing with a cab in the room and you should be prepared for that. Both are equally valid, one experience doesn't negate the other. For just playing guitar, I much prefer using a cab when possible.

I just started getting into IRs. I’m wondering why I waited so long. It’s like I’m getting to use microphones and preamps I’m not rich enough to own. Good quality IRs from ownhammer really make it work for me.

However, I don’t use the power amp emulation in the IR loader, I use an Axiom Effects Power Amp Emulator PAE-1. I love that pedal.

Just had a kiddo so using them a ton right now. When I get the chance to actually play.

They do a good job, if good ones are used. They are far and few between though. Plus having a good load box can change everything. If you can get your hands on a st rock, it’s the best imo. Driftwood and fractal do a good one as well. Fractal has two different voicings on there’s. Suhr behind that.

Then I’d stay away from two notes and universal audio ox. The impedance curve makes a huge differences and these make the irs not sound how they should.

Yeah, This is how I primarily record.

I can't play a 100w amp with the master on 7 while sitting in the room with it.. no way.

Besides, with impulse responses you can demo hundreds of speaker, scores of microphones and endless combinations with a mouse click.

Before I switched over to the Kemper, I was using my heads with a TwoNotes Captor X. For Live shows and recording.

There was a time when I owned zero cabinets. I used the UA OX for every amp I owned. It was nice and kept my music room from being full of speaker cabinets. However, when I played through a real 4x12 cabinet again once, I had to get one. Then one turned into two. Two turned into four. Here we are.

IRs are fun and useful and all that but I would keep a cab or two (maybe a V30 and a GB) so that you can really experience the amp when you want to. There's also something about the connection/response between the guitar, the player, the amp, and a real speaker cabinet -- a symbiosis, if you will -- that can't be replicated by an IR.

Yeah, This is how I primarily record.

I can't play a 100w amp with the master on 7 while sitting in the room with it.. no way.

Besides, with impulse responses you can demo hundreds of speaker, scores of microphones and endless combinations with a mouse click.
???

Not even for 10-20 seconds? Off axis?? That's a big part of the fun I have with my Marshalls. Not all the time, but when I do, what a sound.
I'd always have to have 1-2 412s just for this reason.

I've been running my heads through a TwoNotes Torpedo Live and a Torpedo Studio for a few years now. I've got a pair of Friedman ASM-12s and it sounds fucking awesome. I dont think I'll ever own another 412 cab again. Unless Jim gets his Scumback Naked cabs going again.

Blessing... or curse?

I use I.R's quite a bit these days for recording, but only after making my own 'limited' set of I.R's that I know work for me. We went through and did every cab we own, and borrowed some cool stuff we don't.

Flipping through 100's of mic and placement options is my idea of hell, so this curated set (48 in total) has worked out great. There's around 25 unique speakers, plus some blends, in 4x12's and some open 2x12's.

If I can't find good tone using these I.R's, the issue is elsewhere.

I use IR's a ton, I really wouldn't expect the same experience at all as playing in the room with a cab. The closest comparison would be if you are used to having your amp and cab mic'd up in a booth in a studio and you only ever heard it mic'd up through studio monitors/headphones.

For replicating a mic'd up tone, its indistinguishable if done correctly. For playing through and listening to, its not the same as playing with a cab in the room and you should be prepared for that. Both are equally valid, one experience doesn't negate the other. For just playing guitar, I much prefer using a cab when possible.
+1 it's the same as the whole guitar cab vs FRFR speaker discussion that started when the AxeFx came out.

Blessing... or curse?

I use I.R's quite a bit these days for recording, but only after making my own 'limited' set of I.R's that I know work for me. We went through and did every cab we own, and borrowed some cool stuff we don't.

Flipping through 100's of mic and placement options is my idea of hell, so this curated set (48 in total) has worked out great. There's around 25 unique speakers, plus some blends, in 4x12's and some open 2x12's.

If I can't find good tone using these I.R's, the issue is elsewhere.
Are you thinking about releasing a pack? I always dig the tones you guys do with the g12-k85s.

The first time I ever discovered what these were I was so thrilled I downloaded hundreds, got some nice studio headphones, and basically moved my only 4x12 downstairs which became a glorified end table. I still occasionally used a 1x12 but that's pretty much it. Some sound better than others of course but overall, very good.

Then on a whim, I picked up a vintage '86 Marshall cabinet and I couldn't believe how much I missed playing in the room with a real cab, and I haven't really used an IR in years now.

I still think they are excellent for recording purposes and especially for low volume practice and so on, but it felt like something was missing a little bit to me. Admittedly though, I never tried using them with a nice PA setup, only headphones or my home stereo system. I just felt like playing an amp>loadbox>IR>PA was just an extra unnecessary step compared to amp>cab for just playing around at home, but I'm not doing much recording besides basic SM57 stuff.

I use my Suhr reactive load into IRs with studio monitors and have had FRFR cabs as well. I just picked up an EVH 4x12 and it’s good to have that option as well. I am trying a Celestion F12M-150 into an EVH 1x12 to see how that goes with the full range live response in a real cab

I love cabs and have a few, if you dont have the room to record a cab loudly than IR’s are awesome. I use the suhr reactive load all the time and am very happy with it.

Back