Appreciation thread: Derek Sherinian

grooveHT

Seriously, the guy knows how to put guitar players up to the forefront of his albums. He's had on his albums:

Brett Garsed
Steve Lukather
Zakk Wylde
Yngwie Malmsteen
Al DiMeola
Billy Sheehan
Steve Stevens
Brad Gillis
John Petrucci
John Sykes
Slash
Tony MacAlpine

The guy knows how to pick guitar players! He's also had Tony Franklin, Simon Phillips, Virgil Donati, Billy Idol...the list goes on. Inertia was my favorite album of his, but I think they're all winners if you like that vein of music. Discuss!

He's my favorite keyboard player. I love his playing and he always has awesome sounds. I was going to hire him to play a solo on one of my songs, but I just can't justify paying him $1000 to solo on one song. I'm still debating it though. :doh:

PeteLaramee":3il5m9gk said:
He's my favorite keyboard player. I love his playing and he always has awesome sounds. I was going to hire him to play a solo on one of my songs, but I just can't justify paying him $1000 to solo on one song. I'm still debating it though. :doh:

That better be one hell of a solo! It seems a lot of his tones sort of emulate overdriven guitar sounds...am I completely off?

grooveHT":1cb203f9 said:
PeteLaramee":1cb203f9 said:

That better be one hell of a solo! It seems a lot of his tones sort of emulate overdriven guitar sounds...am I completely off?
I don't know dick about keys, but to me all most of sounds are based on a b3 deep purplish type sound with a synth mixed in. :confused:

Rudess charges $2500 a day. I looked into getting Dennis Chambers play drums on a song or 2 (he's local) and he charges $500 to get the drums to the studio (he records the same place I mix), $1500/song and I'd still have to pay for the studio time. Suddenly $1000 doesn't seem that bad.

PeteLaramee":2pc484vk said:
grooveHT":2pc484vk said:
PeteLaramee":2pc484vk said:

I don't know dick about keys, but to me all most of sounds are based on a b3 deep purplish type sound with a synth mixed in. :confused:

Rudess charges $2500 a day. I looked into getting Dennis Chambers play drums on a song or 2 (he's local) and he charges $500 to get the drums to the studio (he records the same place I mix), $1500/song and I'd still have to pay for the studio time. Suddenly $1000 doesn't seem that bad.

Yikes, thats a little bit of cash huh? Although, I'm sure being able to sticker their names on the cd case or ads would draw some attention to your recording.

grooveHT":1f8hziwv said:
Yikes, thats a little bit of cash huh? Although, I'm sure being able to sticker their names on the cd case or ads would draw some attention to your recording.
Yea - it certainly doesn't hurt. :LOL: :LOL:

Robotechnology":1j1eikw3 said:
I have his 1st two CD. I like Black Utopia a lot. I'll pick up Inertia too.

Inertia had Zakk and Steve Lukather on it, basically they alternated songs on that...it was back when I liked Zakk's playing better too!

PeteLaramee":v3ypdyp7 said:
Since this thread started I got to thinking and emailed Derek this song https://soundclick.com/share?songid=6381785 He already replied saying he likes the song and will solo over it (no - not for free :LOL: :LOL: ) So thanks to all you bastards I'm out more cash.

EDIT - BTW his solos will replace the solos at the 3:05 mark.

Wow very cool Pete!! Cant wait to hear the finished product :) :rock:

PeteLaramee":1uqqyopf said:
grooveHT":1uqqyopf said:
PeteLaramee":1uqqyopf said:

Have you checked http://www.esession.com given you still gonna run into guys that are way out of my price league like Omar Hakim who's 2500 a tune. But shit Oz Noy works for like 300 bucks.

Back