Aquarium / Fish-keeping Q&A

Monkey Man

Super Moderator
Been keeping and breeding fish for 51 years so figured I ought to create a space for peeps to shoot the breeze and share tips. We fish guys have traditionally had to take a back seat to more-popular pet-keeping but I know a lot of musicians are into this stuff.

It's one of those hobbies that for most folks raises more questions than it answers and staff in pet shops usually don't have the time to address all of our concerns, so have at it guys!

My wife just added this Christmas tree to the tank a few days ago.

18-BD2-CB4-E4-B1-4-F0-A-B44-F-5-FACA5-B41-F8-A.jpg

That pleco is probably 15 years old.

Awesome man!

Is it just me or does the Pleco look like it could use a bit more zucchini supplementation? Just looks a tad emaciated to me. Nothing to worry about as long as it's getting quality nutrients; it's all about quality, not quantity, after all.

I've always wanted to have a salt-water aquarium. Bought a book about them so I could learn about what I was in for. Any of you have experience with a salt-water aquarium?

Of course!

Main things are that it's more-expensive to get into and maintain. Much more expensive.

If you're near a clean natural source of salt water that'll help with ongoing maintenance costs tremendously.

I had a salt water tank. You gotta start out very simple, and really either choose if you want a fish tank or coral tank.

If you have a good shop near you, it can be tons of fun getting frags and watching them develop.

You really gotta just start out with your live rock and get your water balanced for a few weeks before adding anything. I think the most important aspect ( and the only main problem I’ve run into) is temperature. A 2 or 3 degree temp swing in 24 ours can kill off the coral.

Back