Are the original maximatcher tube testers any good?

I’ve had mine for almost 10 years without issue. I haven’t had them recalibrated. Keep in mind I tested a shit load of tubes (300+) when I first got it, then have only needed to do random tests for used tubes as my amps get played. It’s not like I need to use them every day.

Last edited:
I’ve had mine for almost 10 years without issue. I haven’t had them recalibrated. Keep in mind I rested a shit load of tubes (300+) when I first got it, then have only needed to do random tests for used tubes as my amps get played. It’s not like I need to use them every day.

Thanks! I've got a line on one, and it looks like it's been used pretty heavily. I'll probably be doing about the same thing as you, testing a bunch right out of the gate, then sporadic use after that. The Maximatcher II stated that it added a stronger power supply and stabilized the measurement system. I just wasn't sure if the originals were prone to drift, etc..

Thanks! I've got a line on one, and it looks like it's been used pretty heavily. I'll probably be doing about the same thing as you, testing a bunch right out of the gate, then sporadic use after that. The Maximatcher II stated that it added a stronger power supply and stabilized the measurement system. I just wasn't sure if the originals were prone to drift, etc..
If it’s what i think it is. It’s just an external regulating power transformer. To have more steady readings. Depends on the moment of the day, your home voltage may slightly vary and give you different results.

Attachments

• IMG_5432.png
    IMG_5432.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 23
If it’s what i think it is. It’s just an external regulating power transformer. To have more steady readings. Depends on the moment of the day, your home voltage may slightly vary and give you different results.

Wait.. So they're basically sending a ~$250 "power conditioner" with it in order to regulate power/voltage and give steadier results? I'm assuming this is included in the $829 price they are charging? I wonder if they would sell it without the Sola, and I could just use my Amprx Brown Box to regulate the voltage. I'd probably be all in to buy a new one if I didn't have to spend the extra $$$ to buy a voltage regulator that I didn't really need.

Wait.. So they're basically sending a ~$250 "power conditioner" with it in order to regulate power/voltage and give steadier results? I'm assuming this is included in the $829 price they are charging? I wonder if they would sell it without the Sola, and I could just use my Amprx Brown Box to regulate the voltage. I'd probably be all in to buy a new one if I didn't have to spend the extra $$$ to buy a voltage regulator that I didn't really need.
It’s not included.

The Maxi-Preamp & Maxi-Matcher are very accurate and reliable, absolutely no complaints about them after some years of testing with them. Costly but worth it, if you have many amps and care about what’s going in them.

It’s a personal choice, but it’s one big investment to do and your set for life. I have no regrets.

Well, I picked up a used original Maximatcher (not the II), came with the socket savers already installed so that was a plus. Now I gotta keep my eye out for a used Maxi Preamp. lol

Back