Avatar brand speakers, yea or neh?

@Klauth might be referring to the fact that speaker impedance is not a single number, but a frequency-dependent curve that varies between different speaker models. The rated impedance is just the "nominal" impedance, which I think is usually taken from the lowest point on the curve. Different impedance curves mixed together in a cabinet will behave differently than if they were all the same, even if they're all "rated" the same.
Thanks for explaining it in further detail and not being a condescending asshole like our resident lab technician.
 
Maybe I'm an engineer and I know more than you? I literally have all these cabs loaded with what you're interested in as well as cabs with mixed speakers and I have spent years of research on this in a studio/lab environment. your method of trying to figure out what is, "best" has been an ongoing failure of many (the cheap as possible crowd) that really doesn't have any idea of what true engineering is. your here because you want free advice, and you get what you pay for.
Christ you’re an asshole. I came on a gear forum asking if someone had used a piece of gear and had feedback. I’m not asking about building an amp or making a speaker you condescending prick.
 
I have a pair of their 60w Hellatones, which I think are actual Celestion Vintage 30s with simulated break in. I'm not sure how much of a difference their break in makes, but they sound great to me.

I haven't used any other Avatar speakers, but tried a few batches of Warehouse Guitar Speakers, and felt pretty "meh" about them. Nothing wrong with them, but where I'm looking for a specific Celestion (or other sound), I've found I'm better off just going with the real deal. I'd go with Avator or Warehouse or whatever when that's the sound you want, not because I think I'd be happy with their cheaper/idealized version of someone else's speaker.
I’m not going after Avatar to get a cheap Celestion. I’m looking for tones I don’t have. I don’t like the K100 or a stock Gt-75 so a version of the 75 that isn’t as scooped sounds interesting to me. I have the Celestions I need covered, except for a V30, which I was planning on just buying a current v30. I’m also looking at Jensen and other brands. I have 8-9 amps and like all kinds of music and I prefer to “EQ”, going in with speaker choice than relying on EQ in the DAW.

I asked about Avatar just for tone references. The price is a bonus, IF they sound good. The A25 I got from them, to pair with my Cel blue, in an Avatar 2x12 sounds pretty good.
 
Last edited:
I'm not a fan of Weber but I remember @MadAsAHatter likes the gray wolf, I believe
Yeah, the Gray Wolf is a fantastic speaker. It's like a mix of the best parts of a Celestion Blue and G12H30 with some midrange elements of a CL80 thrown in. I probably wouldn't blend it with a V30 but it's a nice contrast if you already have a V30 loaded cab and want something different.

Gray Wolf is more upper midrange focused, but not the honk area. It blends really well with the Silver Wolf; which is more low mid focused, if you want to cover a more full midrange sound. It's like a modern sounding version of their popular Blue Dog/Silver Bell mix
 
I’m not going after Avatar to get a cheap Celestion. I’m looking for tones I don’t have. I don’t like the K100 or a stock Gt-75 so a version of the 75 that isn’t as scooped sounds interesting to me. I have the Celestions I need covered, except for a V30, which I was planning on just buying a current v30. I’m also looking at Jensen and other brands. I have 8-9 amps and like all kinds of music and I prefer to “EQ”, going in with speaker choice than relying on EQ in the DAW.

I asked about Avatar just for tone references. The price is a bonus, IF they sound good. The A25 I got from them to pair with my Cel blue in an Avatar 2x12 sounds pretty good.
I've used the AV75 and AV60 pretty extensively. To my ears, they sound like smoother, clearer Creamback H75s and Vintage 30s, respectively. Whether that makes them better or worse is, of course, subjective, but they're definitely not inferior or "budget" speakers.
 
I have a Quad of H60's. They've been great for nearly 20 years..

I've bought all my Speakers from Avatar..
 
I had a single V30 I used in a Rivera Silent Sister Cab. They sound like V30's..

I recorded this with my all Boogie Rack and an SM57 on my Carvin 412 like at least 15 years ago..

 
The Hellatones are Celestions with a Hellatone sticker on them. I have a pair of the M65 Fanes and I like em. I also have bought just about all my speakers from Avatar—great to work with
 
The Hellatones are Celestions with a Hellatone sticker on them. I have a pair of the M65 Fanes and I like em. I also have bought just about all my speakers from Avatar—great to work with

This. Unless things have changed Celestion doesn't design or build OEM style specific spec speakers for Avatar like say the Mesa V30's. Avatar buys bulk speakers, and treats/breaks them in using a specific method, then rebadges them. I would expect the situation with their Fane offerings to be the same.
 
I've had a cab that had their V30 and G12H speakers

I think they sound good, but I ended up preferring actual V30 cabs like the Mesa 2x12

Could just be the cab, though. The cab was very well built, but the Mesa sounded a bit better
 
Christ you’re an asshole. I came on a gear forum asking if someone had used a piece of gear and had feedback. I’m not asking about building an amp or making a speaker you condescending prick.
How dare you speak to him that way? He is a fucking engineer and we are just idiots. We should roll out the red carpet and fucking thank the gods everytime he is benevolent enough to come down to our level and share his knowledge
 
Back
Top