Axe-fx I just dont get it ??

FUZZboat

I have yet to hear anything done on axe-fx that can top these AMT clips

That is, assuming these AMT Pedal clips are for real (especially this "fred" clip !!)

http://www.amtshop.com/demo/ss20/ss_dzh-dzh_fred.mp3

http://www.amtshop.com/demo/ss10/AMTshop_com-ss_10_full_drive_2-03.mp3

http://www.amtshop.com/demo/ss10/AMTshop_com-ss_10_crunch_oz.mp3
SS-20_2.jpg

http://www.amtshop.com/demo/army_of_evil/dist1.mp3
http://www.amtshop.com/demo/army_of_evil/drive1.mp3
Army_1.jpg

I have yet to hear anything done on axe-fx that can top these clips

Those are pretty nice clips, but I am assuming they are just distortion pedals right? Probably just ran in front of a tube amp.. most axefx clips are direct recorded, so I don't think the AMT is the same ;)

I personally don't think any of those clips sound good. It either sounds too scooped, too buzzy, or too much like a pedal.

cyndicate":huwg7esg said:
Those are pretty nice clips, but I am assuming they are just distortion pedals right? Probably just ran in front of a tube amp.. most axefx clips are direct recorded, so I don't think the AMT is the same ;)

yup their pedals based on a single "12ax7"

but I'm just talking about comparing the "hi-gain" tones (not effects and speaker sims and such)

I'm one of those people hearing a distinct "Fizz" on every hi-gain
axe-fx clip I've listened to (its not my speakers cause i've listened thru other monitor speakers and headphones too !!)

Code001":1o2b2btw said:
I personally don't think any of those clips sound good. It either sounds too scooped, too buzzy, or too much like a pedal.

and axe-fx hi-gain tones don't sound at all "buzzy" or have a top end "Fizz" ??

Fizz -> http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25983

just asking cause I've listened to alot of the hi gainy clips on the axe-fx forum and everyone to my ears have it - hi end "Fizz"

may be my ears are defective :confused:

FUZZboat":39mcxh5w said:
Code001":39mcxh5w said:

just asking cause I've listened to alot of the hi gainy clips on the axe-fx forum and everyone to my ears have it - hi end "Fizz"

I never said that. I just stated my opinion based on the clips you posted.

Code001":2ne0tb4m said:
FUZZboat":2ne0tb4m said:
Code001":2ne0tb4m said:

I never said that. I just stated my opinion based on the clips you posted.

cool !

and thats exactly what I wanted - honest opinions !!

thanx :thumbsup:

The Army of Evil sounds good to me. I don't know anything about Axe-Fx though.
Are you gonna buy an Army of Evil? What about the pre-amp?

Maybe you should actually play an Axe fx and spend some time learning all of its features. Then you might 'get it'. .....Or maybe not.

Any amp can be made to sound great or bad in clips. I find it amusing that the vast majority of people slagging it have never played one or heard one in person. On the other hand, you have pro players really digging it and all of its potential uses. Personally, I would take their word over someone like any of the fools on HCAF who has never played one but are prepared to give their opinion that it's just a glorified POD. That does not mean I would like the tones if I ever get the chance to try one but I can see the potential uses the Axe has and that alone is worth something.

FUZZboat":2xjo8nw0 said:
Axe-fx I just dont get it ??

What are you trying to get?
Some people like them....some people dont.
It doesnt have to make sense to anyone why some one else likes any particular piece of gear........in fact.....it shouldnt even matter.

I wasn't too impressed with the AxeFx clips either. And it seems to me that most prefer running them how all modelers should be run: pushing a tube power section.

I havent heard any clips of the AXE FX that I have liked enough to get me interested in buying or trying one...
but that doesnt have me questioning why anyone else likes the unit.

defpearlpilot":2oeuj1is said:
I wasn't too impressed with the AxeFx clips either. And it seems to me that most prefer running them how all modelers should be run: pushing a tube power section.

I haven't been terribly impressed with any clip I have heard yet....but I know what is sounds like and FEELS like to play through the Axe....and it is :rock: :rock:

I flip flop between preferring SS power amp and a tube power amp....heck, I am even trying it using the 4 cable method with my RM50 right now.

If you don't get it/don't like it...don't buy one. If you are curious enough to actually put one through its paces, you might find that you really like it....or not. :D

DannyM":24gidibo said:
It doesnt have to make sense to anyone why some one else likes any particular piece of gear........in fact.....it shouldnt even matter.

if it didn't matter and then noone would need to discuss their gear, correct ??

so then I guess there wouldn't be a need for rig-talk.

DannyM":gtb4zov7 said:
I havent heard any clips of the AXE FX that I have liked enough to get me interested in buying or trying one...
but that doesnt have me questioning why anyone else likes the unit.

was I slagging-on anyone here ??

I just asked the honest question "I don't get it" cause to my ears as a stand alone unit (i.e. Not using a Tube Power Amp or in the loop of another amp ) it has an inherent "Digital Overtone" that plagues all amp modellers.

I want to be enlightened by others that have played it and get their input - thats all :D

mctallica1":13nkaqiv said:
defpearlpilot":13nkaqiv said:

I haven't been terribly impressed with any clip I have heard yet....but I know what is sounds like and FEELS like to play through the Axe....and it is :rock: :rock:

I flip flop between preferring SS power amp and a tube power amp....heck, I am even trying it using the 4 cable method with my RM50 right now.

If you don't get it/don't like it...don't buy one. If you are curious enough to actually put one through its paces, you might find that you really like it....or not. :D

I hear you (and everyone else) "If you don't like it...don't buy one !!"

again, was I "putting down" all the axe-fx owners ??

I don't think so .... :confused:

I was just saying of all the HI GAIN Axe-Fx clips I've heard not one
sounded better those clips of those $300 AMT Pedals (using the AMT clips as an example cause their newly released 2008)

FUZZboat":3hw8fmg5 said:
mctallica1":3hw8fmg5 said:
defpearlpilot":3hw8fmg5 said:

I hear you (and everyone else) "If you don't like it...don't buy one !!"

again, was I "putting down" all the axe-fx owners ??

I don't think so .... :confused:

I was just saying of all the HI GAIN Axe-Fx clips I've heard not one
sounded better those clips of those $300 AMT Pedals (using the AMT clips as an example cause their newly released 2008)

Never said you were.

Also, I haven't heard a high gain Axe clip that I liked much at all either.

FUZZboat":1rrbb71e said:
that clip new to me - sounds really good , but I'll bet there a tube power amp being used !

Direct using 2 cab IRs and 4 presents from the information I'm gathering.

Back