Axe-Fx III / EVH5150III / METAL

Killer riffing and playing!

Ive never played an actual 5153 but the the AFX 5153 Red sim sounds fantastic to me.

With the AXE 3, I never gave much attention to the 5153 sims but after the latest firmware upgrades these are my favorites. More open and less compressed from the previous firmware. Now these are my go to amp sims.

Same here. I checked it out a few times but found it to be a bit much, but after Cygnus I spent about 5 minutes dialing one in and went “Ohhhhh shit....this is pretty fucking great!”

Same here. I checked it out a few times but found it to be a bit much, but after Cygnus I spent about 5 minutes dialing one in and went “Ohhhhh shit....this is pretty fucking great!”
I have owned every piece of Fractal gear going back to the AXE 1 and my go to amp was always the Freidman BE. I even purchased a real 2015 BE100, 2018 BE100 and lastly the BE100 DLX. Prior to Cygnus I was able to pretty much tone match my AXE 3 to the real BE100 DLX and found myself playing the AXE 3 exclusively so I sold off all my real tube heads. Once Cygnus hit, I can no longer gel with the Friedman sims as to me they seem super compressed now and choked off when the sat switch is engaged whereas that was never the case before.

To me after Cygnus these are the amps that sound the most appealing to my ears for 80's/90's high gain:

EVH 5153 100 red
EVH 5153 100 blue
Atomica High
Friedman Smallbox

I have been running the EVH red/blue with EL34 in the power section and that helps tame it down and open it up from my experimenting.

I have owned every piece of Fractal gear going back to the AXE 1 and my go to amp was always the Freidman BE. I even purchased a real 2015 BE100, 2018 BE100 and lastly the BE100 DLX. Prior to Cygnus I was able to pretty much tone match my AXE 3 to the real BE100 DLX and found myself playing the AXE 3 exclusively so I sold off all my real tube heads. Once Cygnus hit, I can no longer gel with the Friedman sims as to me they seem super compressed now and choked off when the sat switch is engaged whereas that was never the case before.

To me after Cygnus these are the amps that sound the most appealing to my ears for 80's/90's high gain:

EVH 5153 100 red
EVH 5153 100 blue
Atomica High
Friedman Smallbox

I have been running the EVH red/blue with EL34 in the power section and that helps tame it down and open it up from my experimenting.

Folks on the Fractal forum have been complaining that the Friedman's seem off too. I never really used them before so I dunno.

The SLO in the latest firmware is killer IMHO. My old SLO didn't sound this good, or I wouldn't have sold it.

Folks on the Fractal forum have been complaining that the Friedman's seem off too. I never really used them before so I dunno.

The SLO in the latest firmware is killer IMHO. My old SLO didn't sound this good, or I wouldn't have sold it.
Yeah the BE's seem off. Friedman are known to have a very "balanced" mid's to them where they are not too scooped or too focused. Seems like all the dynamics, harmonics and goodness is lacking on those amp models. I was told the new Cygnus was based on the new Friedman models and a can attest that the real 2015 BE 100 that I owned was more open and bigger sounding than the 2018 BE100 or the Deluxe. The newer models seemed to have more gain on tap and all the structure switches played into that equation to a certain extent.

I do say that the Friedman Smallbox sim is very good now.

Back