Axe-Fx verses a real amp ..... any impressions ?

zone47

I tried one and was pretty amazed with how good it sounded. I was playing through a Crown D150A power amp and some JBL cabaret pro 4628B cabs .... pretty good stuff. On the down side, it did have some kind of harsh clipping on a few of the patches and it wasn't anywhere near overdriving the input signal or the power amp. :gethim: .... so I wasn't too happy about that. It's easy to tweek, but I couldn't get it to smooth out.

Anyway, after a week with this thing, I was pretty happy overall until I went back and A-B'd it with a marshall 2061x head and 4x12 cab. The Marshall just sounded a few notches better. There was something in the tone that was fuller and fatter than the Axe-fx could do. I even patched the Axe Fx through the same 4x12 cab to keep the comparison more even..... yep, the real tube amp has the Mojo.

I got rid of the Axe-Fx, but even so, it's an amazing piece considering it's all solid state. I hope they keep on developing it to the point where it is as good or better than a tube amp.... that would make things a bit easier especially for gigging.

Any Yays or Nays out there? :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:

A good player can make any piece of gear sound decent. A Gorilla, Marshall MS-2, Peavey Audition, Axe-FX, etc...played with a good guitar, a good player, and well recorded will get a surprisingly decent tone. In the mix of a cool song, it'll sound fine.

beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

donbarzini":1dku1ezw said:
this is too sensitive of a subject to answer
LMAO!!

BTW...Nice Phone message :D

Oh yeah.....

No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool... nothing else. This is Ames, mister

Gainfreak":2ljoxzwh said:
donbarzini":2ljoxzwh said:
this is too sensitive of a subject to answer
LMAO!!

BTW...Nice Phone message :D

Oh yeah.....

No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool... nothing else. This is Ames, mister

Ugh oh, we got some secret Cameron handshakes going on here.

Back