Back to back Shiva comparison tonight.

RockStarNick

I just got back from Rudy's Music Stop in NYC, and was able to play the standard EL34 Shiva back to back, side by side with the new 20th Anniversary KT88 Shiva.

It was the perfect side by side situation. Identical Bogner oversize 2x12 closed back cabs with V30s. Les Paul classic with some sort of classic type bucker.

The only disclaimer that I'll make is that the amps are running different power tubes, so factor that in to the tonal descriptions. THAT being said, I played them cranked, AND non-cranked, and the tonal attributes still held. No bright switches were used for the comparison, and the resonance knob for the 20th was in a neutral sounding position.

I'm also comparing the gain channels with the 20th mode switch set to out (normal), not more gain.

STANDARD SHIVA: Great EL34 tone. Clean channel, in my opinion, edges out the 20th slightly, but that could be from the power tubes. Chimey, great smooth midrange, and that classic hazy EL34 treble response. The boosted clean channel was very cool, great for adding a hint of dirt for some bluesy solos. The overdrive channel, compared to the 20th, was fuzzier and a bit warmer and softer. Not as in your face. Less bottom end, less aggresive. Less overall note definition, but not in a bad way. In a nice, vintage, smooth kind of way.

20TH ANN. SHIVA: The clean channel on the 20th is 95% as good as the regular shiva. So that's good enough for a gain head like me. The boost on the clean channel 20th is different than the regular, keeping the tone stack intact. It does just like what they say, gives more of a gritty, boosted plexi tone. Very cool. The gain channel, with the "mode" switch DIS-engaged, has the EXACT same amount of gain and saturation as the regular shiva. But the character of the gain is toothier, more aggressive mids, bigger lows, a bit more bite. For any sort of rock leaning towards the modern side, this is the one to get.

I don't want to say that the 20th kicks the old Shiva's ass, because both Shivas have their own tonal attributes and their own unique character. But the 20th REALLY is something special. Great, great tone.

Great comparison! Now I want to try a Shiva again. :doh: Pretty sure the one I played had 6L6's, but it sounded great!

Back