Bare Knuckle Pickups with BE100

VegasMD

I'm looking at getting some new pickups for my 1997 Les Paul Standard. I use a BE100. I've never been happy with the stock 490R/498T. I'm interested in the Bare Knuckle mule and possibly the riff raff. I need something that goes from a nice clean to hard rock. Does anyone have experience with these pickups?

Your right to swap out the 498T for sure - think that's around 15k and far too hot - they sound really nasal to me. I have a BN VH2 in one of my HSS Strats and that sounds great with my BE.

In my 2001 Les Paul Custom, I tried around 3 or 4 different high end pickups, but ended up trying a Seymour antiquity - not the JB just the 8.2k PAF, and WOW what a combo - that guitar sounds incredible though the BE now.

I'm sure the BN's would be great but I would say stick with a vintage output (they handle the gain great) - I know Dave is raving about the latest PAF style Motorcity's (cant remember the model) - perhaps try them?

I have the Riff Raff/Mule combo in my LPC, that I use primarily with the BE100. Very nice sounding!

Thanks for the input. Delron22, you hit on what I don't like about the 498T--too hot and harsh. I'll look into the SD antiquity. I'm interested to hear which Motorcity's Dave likes as well.

Docster, the Riff Raff/Mule combo is exactly what I'm considering. It's good to hear you like it.

LP Freak, great suggestion. The stock pickups will end up in the classified.

Hi there,

Just checked the thread and the MC's were called T-Wrecks, last time I checked they were not on Wade's website, but sure it no problem to get one with a PM.

I know that the MC Blackbelts and 2nd degree BB's are also highly regarded by LP users, but Bare Knuckle's are right up there too. You can never have enough pickups right!

Enjoy.

Tried a lot of BKP, for Les Paul the best by far are the Mules. IMHO. You can play anything on them!

Bare knuckle Emeralds, Cold Sweat, Black Dogs are all great choices.. hotter PAF's

2nd Degree Black Belts are in the same vein as the Bareknuckles I mentioned... Yeah the T-Wrecks are discontinued.

I owned The Mule set in the past in a LP and it sound ok but for me Sheptone or Wolftone Paf sound best !

VegasMD":1rx8y124 said:
I'm looking at getting some new pickups for my 1997 Les Paul Standard. I use a BE100. I've never been happy with the stock 490R/498T. I'm interested in the Bare Knuckle mule and possibly the riff raff. I need something that goes from a nice clean to hard rock. Does anyone have experience with these pickups?

I have some Rebel Yells in 1 Strat, and a Mule in the other Strat.
Not a LP I realise but the Mule is a great pickup & cleans up well with the volume control. It's a little more "vintage PAF" sounding than the Rebels

I have a motor city 2nd degree black belt in the bridge and a regular black belt in the neck of my '81 Les Paul Custom. I like those pickups a lot, they're not real high output, but they still cover a lot of ground. They respond really well to volume knob changes, pick attack, and string height adjustments. Nice cleans too. The second degree is really open, and articulate.

I like the WCR godwoods as well. I had an American Steel set (godwood bridge, crossroads neck). The tone was great, but they didn't seem to be as articulate as the 2nd degree, they were a little looser feeling which just didn't work as well for me. Still awesome pickups though, and very versatile!

I also had a MCP Detroiter which seemed quite a bit hotter than the second degree. It sounded really aggressive under heavy distortion, and very articulate, but the cleans weren't as nice as either of the two black belt models. Dave or somebody else said one time that they almost sound kind of like they had been boosted-I have to agree with that statement.

Back