Basement storage of guitars, anything to be concerned about?

nevusofota

I recently moved into a new home in southern PA with a fully finished basement and plenty of storage for all my gear. I'll be storing all of my guitars in a large closet with drywall and unfinished concrete floors. The basement is not entirely underground and temperature will remain consistent as there is radiant heating throughout the entire basement subflooring. I know that humidity is the most important environmental factor for guitars and I would think that basement air would remain less dry and more consistent than the upper levels of my home, which would be great during the winter months. However in the past I feel that some of the metal components, including the strings, tarnish quicker when in the basement. I'm assuming this is due to the higher humidity. Are there any other factors that would make basement storage of guitars and gear less than ideal?

You really hit it on the head...it's humidity plain and simple. Buy a de-humidifier ASAP and keep emptying the bucket, or plumb it into your sewage system drain.

Same boat as you. I run a dehumidifier. I have it hooked up to a condensate pump so I never have to drain it manually. I keep it at about 60% humidity.

Yup, 70 quart capacity dehumidifier is what you want. GE and Fridgidaire make good models. I use one and it keeps my basement at 40% relative humidity year round.

The dehumidifiers have a garden hose connection so you can run the condensate to a permanent drain. If you have a perimeter french drain that will work fine. Sump pit is the next best place.

Also, keep the guitars elevated on a shelf. A flood will ruin them...

Thanks for the responses! Looks like I'm going this weekend to get a dehumidifier. I do plan on keeping all of the guitars off of the ground on large racks.

I built a little studio in my basement, so I insulated the rafters and put in a drop ceiling, painted the walls, put a moisture barrier/epoxy coating on the floor then carpet and padding, and used that spray foam along the sill and in any little cracks and gaps anywhere else I could find them. My basement doesn't get any standing water in it ( it used to when I first bought the house in '97, but I moved my downspouts away from the foundation and it hasn't happened since), but my guitars are on a 4" high platform I built or on stands when they're out in use...

BrokenFusion":1m2nte4g said:
Same boat as you. I run a dehumidifier. I have it hooked up to a condensate pump so I never have to drain it manually. I keep it at about 60% humidity.

Holy shit that's pretty high. I keep mine at 40%. I run a dehumidifier in the summer and a humidifier in the winter.

Metlupass2":x1iaivew said:
BrokenFusion":x1iaivew said:

Holy shit that's pretty high. I keep mine at 40%. I run a dehumidifier in the summer and a humidifier in the winter.
I agree

Metlupass2":28p3p8xn said:
BrokenFusion":28p3p8xn said:

Same here. About 45% in summer and I have to run a whole house humidifier alon
g with a smaller unit near my guitars in the winter.

Pretty much if the humidity is at a safe level for you, then it is good for your guitars. As such, I strive to keep my basement between 40% to 55%, but sometimes it can go as high as 65% or as low as 30%, depending on the time of year.

rcm78":9bsk7586 said:
Yup, 70 quart capacity dehumidifier is what you want. GE and Fridgidaire make good models. I use one and it keeps my basement at 40% relative humidity year round.

The dehumidifiers have a garden hose connection so you can run the condensate to a permanent drain. If you have a perimeter french drain that will work fine. Sump pit is the next best place.

Also, keep the guitars elevated on a shelf. A flood will ruin them...
Exactly what I have. Fridgidare is my favorite as it uses the least amount of energy.Works great and never had any issues with my gear at all

Humidifier here too

I keep all my gear about 2 feet from the floor (except cabs) in case there's a flood
Allows me to store other less important stuff too under that pile of guitar cases

Metlupass2":2z8z3nc7 said:
BrokenFusion":2z8z3nc7 said:

Yes, I keep mine between 45 and 50% all year round. Unfortunately I have two dehumidifiers since the one hook up to the sub-pump cannot keep up since I have a big basement so I have to empty one manually!!

All of my equipment are on plastic risers including my cabs that do not have wheels. Plus my entire basement is carpeted so if I have a flood, I am screwed as far as water damage goes!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Metlupass2":3d9jevoy said:
BrokenFusion":3d9jevoy said:

The rest of my house is naturally at around 60%, hell the average humidity level in PA is 65% so I don't see a problem.

metalmaniac93":33fwxw01 said:
Plus my entire basement is carpeted so if I have a flood, I am screwed as far as water damage goes!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Oh had the pleasure of going through that not one but TWO times in the past year. First time sump pump broke and sewer backed up. Second time water heater burst....while I was across the country. :doh:

I have baseboard heating in my basement so in the winter, it's dry as a bone down there. Only hits 50% in the summer. Get a hydrometer for $10 at Home Depot first. Don't assume it's always too wet in a basement.

Metlupass2":2fsu8w92 said:
metalmaniac93":2fsu8w92 said:
Plus my entire basement is carpeted so if I have a flood, I am screwed as far as water damage goes!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Oh had the pleasure of going through that not one but TWO times in the past year. First time sump pump broke and sewer backed up. Second time water heater burst....while I was across the country. :doh:

I feel your pain man, had water issues in my basement as well. Learned to keep everything up off the floor. Just put in a new interior drain and sump, so hopefully I will be dry going forward. Nothing like cleaning up water in the basement, it sucks. :gethim:

dfrattaroli":1qgx52an said:
I have baseboard heating in my basement so in the winter, it's dry as a bone down there. Only hits 50% in the summer. Get a hydrometer for $10 at Home Depot first. Don't assume it's always too wet in a basement.

A hydrometer is a must. I keep it in the area of the basement where my gear is at, which is where my dehumidifiers/humidifier are located.

I spoke with Phil Jacoby of Philtone and he stated you want to keep it between 40-50% RH. And states that even in a basement during the winter in the PA/MD area it can dip BELOW 40% so you want to also have a humidifier along with a dehumidifier.

Back