Before there was EVH

LPMojoGL

Y'all probably gonna wanna lynch me for this, but this dude was sticking his smoke up in the strings way before Ed:

The man had swagger and swing. Try to nail that strumming. Not to mention the authoritative voice. Hope you make it to the "poetic license".
Waylon had it down. He oozed cool. Look at how he was slumped down, casually strumming that guitar with his arm wrapped around the back, making eyes at his girl. He was a cool ass mfer.
Dudes like him and Jerry Reed made it it look easy.

Anyway, that's where I'm at tonight.

Last edited:
I agree with you man. I grew up with hearing Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed, Johnny Cash and even some Johnny Horton on my dads record player as a kid. It's probably the only country-ish music I know to be honest... country isn't that big here in Hawaii.

I agree with you man. I grew up with hearing Waylon Jennings, Jerry Reed, Johnny Cash and even some Johnny Horton on my dads record player as a kid. It's probably the only country-ish music I know to be honest... country isn't that big here in Hawaii.
I'm not into country at all.
But I grew up hearing my dad and Poppop playing country and bluegrass. That's the stuff I learned from, along with 60s hits, before I got into the Sabbath, GnR, Metallica, Maiden, Ozzy and such.

This version of that song above, I mean, cmon. They're hitting a vibe for sure:

F250E8E8-107C-416B-BBF3-712B5E87D2C4.jpeg

I visited his grave last winter and left a guitar pick on it, my family is big fans of waylon, so i heard alot of his music as a kid but as ive gotten older i dont mind his music. I love that he was using emgs and playing outlaw country.
IMG_8635.jpeg
IMG_8636.jpeg

For me, it was Hendrix, Blackmore, Page and Iommi.

I discovered EVH when I saw Black Sabbath Never Say Die tour in 78 with VH opening.

Prior to that, IIRC, Blackmore was my favorite guitarist.

I like Waylon. He was right about Luckenbach TX. The reason no one there is feeling any pain is because it's mostly sheep and goats out on 1888.

These two been on my country playlist the most lately:

I used to love this show. Lots of folks didn’t know Stafford could play like this.

I live about 30 minutes south of Branson, he was big in Branson when Branson was still loaded with talent. Kind of an oxymoron, but believe it or not, TONS of monster players ended up there. Probably like Pigeon Forge. Jim could wear the strings off one. Funny story - a bandmate of mine who worked in a music store saw Jim a few times in the store. He would come in and just go into "show mode" and play the shit out of it. You could tell Jim didn't enjoy it. But if you played the same identical show twice a day for 8 months out of the year, you'd probably hate it too.

In 4th or 5th grade me and 2 buddies got to see Waylon play. One friend's mom took us. We got a picture in front of his semi's reefer trailer with the huge Waylon across the side of it. Damn I would like to find that pic!

My dad force-fed us Waylon on ALL of our vacations growing up....not into it, but Waylon brings up lots of great memories. And, to think he was in Buddy Holly's band-and 'lost' the coin flip that saved his life. Talk about destiny.
My dad force fed us "cruising classics" over and over on California holiday in the suburban which was a variety tape of oldies from the late 50's an early 60's. sold at Shell gas stations during the early 90's. Over and over. Ricky Nelson. Everly Bros. Chuck Berry. Fats Domino, etc. Reach out, I'll be there!. The Four Tops!!!! Then he bought me and my bro Are You Experienced on cassette one summer. I started playing guitar after that and my bro started playing drums. Dad built us a room in the garage so he could maintain his sanity. But me and my bro been playing and gigging together ever since right to this day, neither of us quit, so I think my old man finally feels like it was worth the headache. He even bought a rig just like mine, lol!

The original Outlaw!

My dad force-fed us Waylon on ALL of our vacations growing up....not into it, but Waylon brings up lots of great memories. And, to think he was in Buddy Holly's band-and 'lost' the coin flip that saved his life. Talk about destiny.
Yeah, no kidding. Can you imagine the feeling when the ride you're supposed to be on goes down, with your buds in it?
I read he took a good amount of time off away from music after that.

My didn't force feed me the stuff, but it's what he listened to a lot when I was younger.
He did have some good ol rock mixed in his good ol country vinyl and 8 tracks.
Of course, when no one was around, I'd play Queen, Steve Miller or even Iron Butterfly before I played any of his country stuff.

Back