Behind the Curtain with Yngwie Malmsteen

Just pointing out though, for those that will inevitably not read a 2 page article, that by the end the author had changed his mind about Yingwie when he saw the good side of him.

That was cool, nice to see Yngwie grew up a bit in those intervening years. Never would have figured him for a ferret guy though.

Darden":2e3wij1a said:
That was cool, nice to see Yngwie grew up a bit in those intervening years. Never would have figured him for a ferret guy though.

I would never have figured this guy to be gerbil guy either. :D

Richard-Gere-richard-gere-11241743-353-462.jpg

Or maybe that was more apparent than I thought.

The author of that story is reputable.
steve rosen is a bud of EVH's and they had a sit down back in 1979 and it was really cool
ed showed steve all the stuff he wanted to know about that was on the first two VH records.
here it is,

as for YJM he is a incredible guitarist but i think he is too repetitive.
He smokes me on guitar but i try not to repeat my phrases and licks.

Yngwie was a world class monster guitar player at 18. Couple the talent with the youth and he has an ego bigger than Kim Kardashian's ass. Times change and so did Yngwie.

Yngwie played a club in Rochester NY (Penny Arcade at Lake Ontario) for years and I played there as well so I knew the sound and lighting guys really well and they always said he was a first class asshole and was majorly coked up all the time in the 80's and early 90's. I saw him several times and he always put on a great show and played his ass off but they said he was always a major dick to work with. I didn't find that hard to believe but always thought it was odd for a guy who was only playing these clubs to have such a blown out ego.

Steve Rosen is about the nicest, coolest guy you will ever meet. He's one of my best friends older brothers and the stories he can tell about the rock stars he knows and has hung with can keep you entertained for days. :thumbsup:

That was a very cool story.

It's not excusable, but I get his ego early on. NOBODY was doing what he was doing in rock music and it wasn't just that he was doing it better than everyone else, it's that nobody else was doing it and his level of precision and technique was so far above and beyond it was ridiculous. He was a kid. He probably thought he was invincible too.

charvelstrat81":2x5ifs23 said:
The author of that story is reputable.
steve rosen is a bud of EVH's and they had a sit down back in 1979 and it was really cool
ed showed steve all the stuff he wanted to know about that was on the first two VH records.
here it is,

as for YJM he is a incredible guitarist but i think he is too repetitive.
He smokes me on guitar but i try not to repeat my phrases and licks.
This interview with EVH is jawdropping. Eddie's licks without gain/distortion are even more revealing of his prodigious skill and technique. Unreal!!!! And he seems like a nice laid-back guy too.

IntenseJim":iodeatwl said:
This interview with EVH is jawdropping. Eddie's licks without gain/distortion are even more revealing of his prodigious skill and technique. Unreal!!!! And he seems like a nice laid-back guy too.
I totally agree, :thumbsup: EVH just had it back then!

Back