Best drop tune pedal?

Mikeyboyeee

Looking for a pitch shift pedal to change tunings (mostly lower). Play stuff like Motley Crue, etc without changing guitars?
Is it the Digitech drop tune?

It's pretty good, but I wish it went up as well as down. I use mine frequently, but if you're going more than one or two half steps down, it can start to sound a bit sloppy.

Seriously, why not up as well as down?

My favorite guitars are always tuned to E flat, but sometimes I like to jam along with stuff in E standard. I have other guitars tuned to E, but ideally I would like to use my two main guitars for everything.

The various Boss are very good (and have way more features) but sound slightly less natural to my taste for only detuning and chugging away (which is what I do the Digitech Drop when I want to play some Volumes or the like). I also now have an Ibanez MMM1 tuned in drop F# because it was far too much detuning even for the Digitech. My other guitars are usually in D/drop C.

I am usually E, Eb and drop D. Figure it should help me get to D and C# no problem. All I will really use it for. My HXFX doesn't really have anything comparable.

The various Boss are very good (and have way more features) but sound slightly less natural to my taste for only detuning and chugging away (which is what I do the Digitech Drop when I want to play some Volumes or the like). I also now have an Ibanez MMM1 tuned in drop F# because it was far too much detuning even for the Digitech. My other guitars are usually in D/drop C.
Always wanted to spend some time with a MMM1, awesome find.

It's pretty good, but I wish it went up as well as down. I use mine frequently, but if you're going more than one or two half steps down, it can start to sound a bit sloppy.
Yeah, I think anything more than a whole step down and digital artifacts become more apparent. Still miles better that the Morpheus Droptune I used to have.

One thing to note (just a heads up) is that I find using a pedal/effect for this purpose quite unsettling when playing at lower volumes. You and most guys on here are probably jamming or gigging at decent volumes where it likely isn't an issue. However, if you are playing at a lower volume where you can actually hear the strings as well, since the notes coming from the speakers aren't the same as those coming from the guitar, it can mess with you. Personally, my brain goes "ewww that sounds awful" or "wait, that's not the note I want" and I have to turn volume up until that isn't an issue. YMMV! Cheers

Always wanted to spend some time with a MMM1, awesome find.

It is awesome indeed. I tried one new in a shop back in 2005 or some such. Loved it but finally didn't buy it. Regretted it ever since. Found one cheap, not butchered and with original pickup/hardware two years ago and now I can downtune and djent til the cows come home LOL

Stop being cheap and lazy.
Multiple guitars for the win.
You need the exercise anyway.
(says the fat bloated windbag who's too lazy to change strings or guitars so he just plays whatever guitar is currently out of its case)

Stop being cheap and lazy.
Multiple guitars for the win.
You need the exercise anyway.
(says the fat bloated windbag who's too lazy to change strings or guitars so he just plays whatever guitar is currently out of its case)

I have 7 but they're all different and somehow, each and everytime, none are tuned to the latest tune I'm learning. Must be some kind of curse. Lately I tried to play along some Ozzy tune and it was in drop C#. All my guitars are either in E or D (except the one in drop F# which was in B/drop A before). I can do drop D/drop C but not drop C#. I can use a capo but I hate that. Enter the Digitech ! Maybe I need more guitars. Or 4 or 5 of each model for different tunings. I still cannot do Honky Tonk Woman which is one of my favorite tune LOL

Back