Best drum prog for writing

TX6Strings

I quit my band last week and have started writing for myself but I need an easy to use yet flexible drum program. Something that has pre-programmed trax or plug-ins would be a great help. What do you guys use? I was thinking EZ drummer maybe? Thanks in advance!

Hey Brad!! EZ drummer is a great little program. Simple to use and it sounds pretty damn good too.

OT--did you ever end up getting rid of the Shiva and find something to your liking?

gravfed":i87n0pss said:
Hey Brad!! EZ drummer is a great little program. Simple to use and it sounds pretty damn good too.

OT--did you ever end up getting rid of the Shiva and find something to your liking?

I'll have to see if I can find EZ drummer somewhere free on the net lol

Yeah I ended up trading it and some cash for a DSL which I'm actually much happier with. You still diggin that Blackmore?

Audioholic":2kyrtuzf said:
I prefer Addictive drums over EZ drums! I have both and since getting AD I barely use EZ.

Never heard of Addictive drums...I'll have to check it out...thanks for heads up!

TX6Strings":3u2iy0bb said:
gravfed":3u2iy0bb said:

Yeah I ended up trading it and some cash for a DSL which I'm actually much happier with. You still diggin that Blackmore?

Hey man, don't use pirated software dude, man up and buy it :thumbsup:

Addictive drums is a bit more versatile then EZ out of the box, you need to buy add ons for EZ to cover more ground. Both sound good, but I think Addictive drums sounds more natural, real like, EZ sounds a bit more produced and doesn't sit as well in a mix in comparison, at least to me. Addictive is just a little more, but worth it imo.

Audioholic":3tfov156 said:
Addictive drums is a bit more versatile then EZ out of the box, you need to buy add ons for EZ to cover more ground. Both sound good, but I think Addictive drums sounds more natural, real like, EZ sounds a bit more produced and doesn't sit as well in a mix in comparison, at least to me. Addictive is just a little more, but worth it imo.

Got any clips/samples of some of Addictive's drums you can share? I'm interested too :)

no sf 2.0/ez drummer > addictive drums SOOO much better than ad and i have all 3. I don't have sf 2.0 or ad installed and i have to find them but I can offer clips of ez drummer if anyone wants.

TX6Strings":1norsn6p said:
gravfed":1norsn6p said:

I ended up with a Quickrod. I'm waiting on some new tubes for it then I'll give it a go. It was just time for me to try something new. Good luck with that DSL, I've heard good things. :thumbsup:

Fruity Loops Studio. Limewire. I use FL Studio 4 and have an enormous library of drum samples. Cost = $0. It is an invaluable tool for arranging tunes. :thumbsup:

lol FL Studio sucks and before guitar I used to do sampled beats with Reason/Midi Keyboards/Technics XD so trust me FL STUDIO SUCKS get reason its got a very easy to use drum programmer or just get ableton live and ez drummer/superior drummer. I also have sound clips from various sound libraries in different styles/tempos/different drum kits.

vultures":3sss6t8l said:
Audioholic":3sss6t8l said:

Got any clips/samples of some of Addictive's drums you can share? I'm interested too :)

https://soundclick.com/share?songid=7382585

here is a track I did recently that I posted. All acoustic drums are Addictive drums.... I find EZ drummer to be to noticable and distinctive, I can usually pick out the EZ drummer snare in a heartbeat. Addictive drums is alot like a real mic'd kit. EZ drummer is a bit too polished and studio like that I find I have a harder time it fitting in context without standing otu a little. I have several add ons for EZ, and some of them are ok, nashville kit is great, but sometimes they are too bright and processed already they just don't sit as well. Addictive drums you have more control over the sound shaping, eq, compression etc. Just much more realistic. I find I have to fight much less to get it to sit in a mix, I was always having to do something to EZ to help it sit in, and to me, that is a very important aspect. I don't care how huge or full a drum kit sounds, if it doesn't sit right, then whats the point.

I haven't personally used superior, the higher end from toontrack, I am sure that is killer. But seriously, addictive drums is pretty killer and usefull.

amd123":2yv8earc said:
lol FL Studio sucks and before guitar I used to do sampled beats with Reason/Midi Keyboards/Technics XD so trust me FL STUDIO SUCKS get reason its got a very easy to use drum programmer or just get ableton live and ez drummer/superior drummer. I also have sound clips from various sound libraries in different styles/tempos/different drum kits.

LOL Reason sucks. Thanks for the advice. :gay:

vultures":2ywvgrta said:
Audioholic":2ywvgrta said:

I have some scratch tracks where the drums are way out front, and you can really hear them. If I can figure out how to post a clip from Pro-Tools LE, to the forum, I'll get them up. You'll be suprised how natural, and huge they sound.

chode7":1lvh81df said:
amd123":1lvh81df said:

how does reason suck because you can't use vsts? LOL the sound engine of FL STUDIO SUCKS doesn't matter if you can use vsts or not...they're automatically gonna suck.

crwnedblasphemy":3nu0wzxj said:
I usually use my Korg Karma of Roland XV5050 for drums which sound pretty good, but I have always wondered about Superior 2.0? Don't you need a electronic drums for that program though?

Which programs can I still use my keyboard?

don't need electronic drums for superior, its just a nice feature they have, already mapped out kits that work with Edrums. You can just trigger the drums via a keyboard as well for all of these programs. The demo I heard of superior sounded great, I will eventually upgrade to superior as its really not taht much money, but I am in no hurry as AD really has worked out great for me, and AD is bringing some add on expansions. Last I checked, AD comes with more midi drag and drop files then EZ. Not sure about superior. I like starting with midi files, then moving around, tweaking, adding to get what I want. Very natural sounding midi files.

I just love soloing say a kick in AD, and it sounds like, well, a mic'd kick drum. Not this fake, too good to be true kick. Now you can add efx and bring up teh room mics to get a bigger more stadium rock sound, but the core realism is there for me.

amd123":38hvj5td said:
chode7":38hvj5td said:
amd123":38hvj5td said:

how does reason suck because you can't use vsts? LOL the sound engine of FL STUDIO SUCKS doesn't matter if you can use vsts or not...they're automatically gonna suck.

post clips of your programmed tracks. you say EZ is soo much better, prove it, post clips matey :thumbsup:

A side note of other good acoustic drums, would be Steven slate drums. I know they now have a kontact 2 instrument, but if you don't have kontact, or another sampler, might be more of an investment, not sure if SSD comes with midi files.

Back