Best OD/Booster I've ever used

troublehead

I just put my OD search to rest for good. I've been through a ton (Xotic BB & RC, OCD, Barber DD, Maxon 808, Keeley SD-1, Modded DOD250, Bad Monkey, MXR ZW-44, and probably more I can't remember........

I received the Maxon OOD-9 today and I have been amazed ever since I first hooked it up in front of my Perplex'd. Completely transparent, very subtle mid-boost, and no loss of low end. I just got through A/Bing it with the 808 (my favorite up until now) and its a no brainer. The OOD-9 has much more clean boost available and it doesn't spike in the mids and get "ratty" like the 808. Its a MUCH louder pedal, so it isn't going to work with the traditional level maxed/gain off settings.......unless your using a clean amp. You have to back down on the level and raise the gain a bit. The settings in the picture simply crush in front of my Perplex'd set to a crunchy (but not saturated) gain. Using these settings, its like someone reached over and cranked my Master to full and really got the EL34's cooking. It gives a big push in the low mids and really fills out/saturates the tone.

Its pricey, but I highly recommend you try one out if you are in the market for a killer OD. I still think the 808 would be better for tightening up a really high gain amp due to its bass suckage and mid boost, but with a Marshally amp the OOD-9 is the ticket for me without a doubt.

007-5.jpg

I have to admit, I did not know how to use a boost pedal correctly until recently. (Rhythm Player) but once I played with my Nobles ODR-1, it is GREAT as a boost pedal! It is an in-between a ts9 and an 808. AND AFFORDABLE! Lots of Nashville studio players use it.

I have played the OOD-9 as a screamer before, but I think the ODR-1 (and ODR-1+ if you are lucky and can find one) is a fantastic budget alternative.

Low budget player speaks.

(But I LOVE my Plank Cranker!)

Milerky2":3o0hirzw said:
I have to admit, I did not know how to use a boost pedal correctly until recently. (Rhythm Player) but once I played with my Nobles ODR-1, it is GREAT as a boost pedal! It is an in-between a ts9 and an 808. AND AFFORDABLE! Lots of Nashville studio players use it.

I have played the OOD-9 as a screamer before, but I think the ODR-1 (and ODR-1+ if you are lucky and can find one) is a fantastic budget alternative.

Low budget player speaks.

(But I LOVE my Plank Cranker!)

im always curious as to how and what people are using.
so what is your particular secret, or approach, so to speak..compared to what you used to do, or how you used to use one?

i dont currently use one right now, but am thinking maybe i need an upgrade from my trusty old sansamp gt2.

troublehead":ub4v1o1n said:
I just put my OD search to rest for good. I've been through a ton (Xotic BB & RC, OCD, Barber DD, Maxon 808, Keeley SD-1, Modded DOD250, Bad Monkey, MXR ZW-44, and probably more I can't remember........

I received the Maxon OOD-9 today and I have been amazed ever since I first hooked it up in front of my Perplex'd. Completely transparent, very subtle mid-boost, and no loss of low end. I just got through A/Bing it with the 808 (my favorite up until now) and its a no brainer. The OOD-9 has much more clean boost available and it doesn't spike in the mids and get "ratty" like the 808. Its a MUCH louder pedal, so it isn't going to work with the traditional level maxed/gain off settings.......unless your using a clean amp. You have to back down on the level and raise the gain a bit. The settings in the picture simply crush in front of my Perplex'd set to a crunchy (but not saturated) gain. Using these settings, its like someone reached over and cranked my Master to full and really got the EL34's cooking. It gives a big push in the low mids and really fills out/saturates the tone.

Do you use it for lead boost or all the time?

Its pricey, but I highly recommend you try one out if you are in the market for a killer OD. I still think the 808 would be better for tightening up a really high gain amp due to its bass suckage and mid boost, but with a Marshally amp the OOD-9 is the ticket for me without a doubt.

007-5.jpg

didn't know of that pedal, looks interesting, OD pedal with no tone knob..not everyday you see that

no PGS vid of it yet either =0

I checked that pedal when I was at Tone Merchants - it is a nice open sounding pedal. I ended up buying the Maxon OD 820 instead because I tend to go for smoother tones, but that's the great thing about boost pedals - tons of flavors to choose from!

sinfish":20a5obtm said:
Built like shit but sound great. I am not lying!
TS5-250x412.jpg

Yup, I love these pedals - for whatever reason they always work better for me than the TS9 or SD-1. I've got 3 of them :D

I added the Majik Box RF-1 Rocket Fuel pedal to my rig, and have never been happier. It was a bit pricey for an OD/Boost pedal. But as soon as I plugged it in, price was a mere afterthought. Worth every penny.

dstroud":16s9w1jp said:
I checked that pedal when I was at Tone Merchants - it is a nice open sounding pedal. I ended up buying the Maxon OD 820 instead because I tend to go for smoother tones, but that's the great thing about boost pedals - tons of flavors to choose from!

I have the OD820 as well, pretty cool pedal. It doesn't have a ton of gain but cool for boosting an already overdriven amp and it's not that noisey. Sometimes when i hit my BB Preamp it can sound like Niagra Falls there's so much gain.

danyeo":1mu1kusb said:
dstroud":1mu1kusb said:

I have the OD820 as well, pretty cool pedal. It doesn't have a ton of gain but cool for boosting an already overdriven amp and it's not that noisey. Sometimes when i hit my BB Preamp it can sound like Niagra Falls there's so much gain.

yeah, I love it - been trying to mod pedals to get this tone for a long time - it was so nice to just plug in and have the sound! I read it's so big because they separate some parts physically in the box so it's less noisy.

donbarzini":mma9tfs0 said:
OOD-9 is a great pedal, either it works with your set-up or it doesn't, no tone control can be a factor. Some men will consider it bright.

congratulations.jpg

In comparison to the 808 using the same settings and with the "Tone" control at high noon on the 808...........the 808 is the "brighter" of the two and the OOD-9 is the "smoother" of the two.

For those who mentioned the 820 Pro, I have used that in the past and didn't like it near as much as the OOD-9 or the 808. It sounded too smooth and compressed and had a "nasal/wah" like effect on the tone. Could have been by set-up at the time though.

troublehead":1bh70lgl said:
donbarzini":1bh70lgl said:
OOD-9 is a great pedal, either it works with your set-up or it doesn't, no tone control can be a factor. Some men will consider it bright.

congratulations.jpg

In comparison to the 808 using the same settings and with the "Tone" control at high noon on the 808...........the 808 is the "brighter" of the two and the OOD-9 is the "smoother" of the two.

For those who mentioned the 820 Pro, I have used that in the past and didn't like it near as much as the OOD-9 or the 808. It sounded too smooth and compressed and had a "nasal/wah" like effect on the tone. Could have been by set-up at the time though.

yup, that's the crazy thing about boosts - I'm using mine with plexi and jcm800 clones. I tend to keep the tone rolled back too and it's great for me for darker tones.

Man, best OD can be such a personal journey. I'm am still travelling that road. It's an interesting path, not only where I'm going, but where I am, and where I've been. Bad Monkey has been a very positive surprise for me, but I can't totally give up TS9. Headed toward a Sparkle Drive, but who knows what the future may bring.

Back