Best OD for Shiva?

keano

Looking for a bigger tone not muddy though on channel two. Then I plan to kick in the Shiva boost for solos. I was thinking of BOR, Love Eternity? I have a BB but it thins out the tone.

keano":2g3e15f1 said:
Looking for a bigger tone not muddy though on channel two. Then I plan to kick in the Shiva boost for solos. I was thinking of BOR, Love Eternity? I have a BB but it thins out the tone.
Try out the Creation Audio Labs Mk.4:23

I'm not sure the Shiva needs more OD, but a clear boost in the front end could give it the extra oooomph you're hoping for.

keano":1zwo9vdw said:
My pleasure man. My take on it is the amp is already putting forth a lot of preamp stage gain. It's got the dynamics. It's got the girth. You running a KT88 loaded head??

"Overdrives" as I am sure you know, add another level of 'slight-boost' and another stage or two of gain and grit (replete with tone and bass and yada yada). Pumping this into the Bogner could work, but my guess is it'll sound best on a lower gain stage on the amp. But the Sheevs has got tone and gain and OD in spades - and it sounds good - right?

So get this lil' pedal (seriously, it's a sick sick pedal - there are a few cats on this board I've suggested it to, and to this day they're still raving about it - it's a "secret weapon" stomp :yes: ) http://www.creationaudiolabs.com/mk423 and if you can, find the "Pro 48V" model. Anyway, this thing basically takes all the rich tone of your guitar, and totally beefs it up dB wise heading IN to the amp. I am almost positive you'll dig... :D

Peace,
Mojo

RG955TT":pvcj7251 said:
Hey Ventura, how do you think that CAL device would work as a loop boost/solo boost for my XTC 20th?
I've used it with my 20thA. No problems. I prefer it in the front of the amp as opposed to the loop. But it worked incredibly well when it was in the back. I found that the EQ maybe needed a touch of arranging in the loop - don't ask why - I guess "all things considered" the loop in the 20thA "could" be somewhat better, but hey, it's not at all bad. That said, the Mk.4:23 absolutely SLAYS in the front. It just turbo-boosts your tone and signal with ZERO coloration and hit the amp topside the head and rages. I love it.

I'd say you can't go wrong with this stomp. YMMV.

I have a guy in the biz who's always turning me on to the latest and greatest. He works on some high-profile pedalboards along with several musicians and studios. Great guy. He let's me know of this "clean boost" and I couldn't have been more uninterested. I'm like "dude", a boost, "really" o_0 He says "Really!" So he sent it up to me, and I think nothing of it - it's a shiny metal box with 1 knob, 1 button. Suffice it to say, I've been hooked on that thing since that day. It's incredible what it does for tone, touch, girth, and potency of your playing. I am "a believer", as weird as that may be.

Just sayin'... :dunno:

An OD or boost for what? My 20th Shva has more gain than I could ever use.

I do use an OD pedal sometimes, for another flavor into the clean channel or as additional gain when I have my guitar's volume low and I need extra juice for solos. However, the Shiva does have loads of gain.

My favorite OD pedal thus far, is easily the Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive. Ben Fargen is brilliant.

I used to have the Creation Audio Labs Mk.4:23, but preferred it in the loop for solo boosts. Up front, I didn't notice it doing much, plus I hate pedals that require a large power supply! Otherwise, I would own a Creation Audio Labs Holy Fire! :)

The sonic edge looks good. I checked it out. I want something that is simple 9 or 18 volt too.
I know the Shiva has enough gain. On the clean channel I use a BOR and love it.

One channel 2 I wanted something to tightenit slighly and flavor if you will.
When I use my OCD or BB it's too much. Meaning the BB has to much of a mid hump and To comptessed, loses some bottom. The OCD is kind of brash and too much. The BOR sounds good but adds too much low mids. I tried a Cusack v2 and I don't like the hard mid hump and thinning.

I was thinking Lovepedal Kalamazoo, very similar to a Klon, the sonic edge, maybe a Timmy or Small Fry? The Xotic AC sounds cool too. Not too compressed nor too powerful. Maybe a miłd OD to tighten with a small mid hump or one with mid switch.
Sorry if this has typos doing it on my phone. Lol

Keano, that makes sense bro. I am looking for the same Mostly I use it like this - I am playinjg light crunch, so the Shiva gain is up high but I roll my guitar volume down for songs like Radio Head's High n Dry and when I hit the solo, I like to kick on a pedal since I suck with my volume knob during a song, LOL. Plus I like the options for solos and also another flavor on clean or to make the gain ultra tight. Best I have used is the Xotic BB, old Sparkle Drive and Sonic Edge J&J. I may get another BB and the new Sparkle Drive and do a shoot out! :)

J&J is GREAT though!

The new Sparkle Drive has too many options! I would prefer the BB, AC or J&J.....or regular TS.

keano":nc1ztt7w said:
Just got a Sonic Edge J & J Overdrive

If you like the BB, keep it? It does not have too much gain. Keep the gain under 9 o'clock or off as I did at times. Hell, I have used it as a clean boost.

Let me know how you like it.

Why sell the BB? Do a shoot out!

I really want to try the Way Huge Green Rhino. :)

I like a low gain OD pedal that is smooth since I mostly use it for lead.

And let us not forget Mad Professor pedals!!!!!

New Sparkle Drive Mod.

Also the Timmy is great!

.....the pedal I and up using, must specialize in single notes or lead. It will be used over top light amp gain for a thick, smooth, mid heavy push.

Loving the J&J and AC Booster for this.

Just got done playing the J&J through my 20th Shiva and I must say, it sounds immpressive through both channels. No new tube amps for me in the future. I will pick up a used Mesa Electra Dyne head since it works with pedals like no other amp I have played.
Good enough that I would be happy the rest of my life just running pedals into the ED.

I use a BB Preamp w/Midboost with my 20th Shiva. I dial it in for a clean boost ('Gain' low; 'Volume' high) with a very slight mid-bump. Works great for liquid leads! :thumbsup:

rlord1974":21p4plja said:
I use a BB Preamp w/Midboost with my 20th Shiva. I dial it in for a clean boost ('Gain' low; 'Volume' high) with a very slight mid-bump. Works great for liquid leads! :thumbsup:

You have a 20th Shiva like me. Do you use the built in boost which is amazing?! I use it all the time, but I use the pedal for variety. :)

I think the Xotic BB MB, is amazing. It is quiet, can be used as a clean boost, used like a tube screamer or overdrive into a clean amp. I consider it a must have for all guitarists. :)

Back