Best Tube poweramp only ?

alund

Exactly what the title states. What is the best or top 3 best and why? Soldano? VHT2150? Mesa strategy?
Fryette PS, 2/90/2, Marshall? I only have experience with some of these. Why is the 2150 regarded as the one? Or is it not?

The best one is the one you can afford.. 'Lots to choose from.
The Peavey Classic 50/50 is great if you can find a nice one.
If you have the cash, go Fryette.

I used to own the Mesa Boogie Strategy 400 200 watt stereo tube power amp. That power amp sounded awesome and loud! I sold it to someone on this forum and bought a used Mesa Boogie 50/50 stereo tube power amp in its place. The sound is great, not as loud, and is less weight.

I've owned a boogie 50/50 vht 2/90 / 2 and vht 2/50/2 love them all but I think the 2/50/2 was the best and lighter than the 90

I've owned a boogie 50/50 vht 2/90 / 2 and vht 2/50/2 love them all but I think the 2/50/2 was the best and lighter than the 90
I have played the Mesa 50/50- still have it but don’t use it as was too dark for my liking so it sits; I use the stereo atomic reactor now instead of the Mesa 50/50 as it’s brighter sounding. Had a Classic 50/50 but I let it go as I was too stupid to know how good it was before I got back into music. The PS100 seems be a nice tone; for me. How is it different than the 2/90/2 or 50/50? Other than power, how are the Mesa 50/50, strategy 400 and the Simul-clas different?
The Rivera 70 lb boat anchor vs the 2150?

Marshall dual monobloc 9200
Marshall dual monobloc EL34 100/100
Engl E850/100 (may sell mine)

I have played the Mesa 50/50- still have it but don’t use it as was too dark for my liking so it sits; I use the stereo atomic reactor now instead of the Mesa 50/50 as it’s brighter sounding. Had a Classic 50/50 but I let it go as I was too stupid to know how good it was before I got back into music. The PS100 seems be a nice tone; for me. How is it different than the 2/90/2 or 50/50? Other than power, how are the Mesa 50/50, strategy 400 and the Simul-clas different?
The Rivera 70 lb boat anchor vs the 2150?
I think all the 'monster' power amps, S400, Rivera 320, HH, VHT 2150/2100 are all 60+ lbs. Even the HH that I have, has monster transformers and is at least 60 lbs.

I've had the old Carvin T-100 as well as the newer TS100, and both were great with the various tube preamps I used.

I haven't used most of the others mentioned. I do have a Randall RT2/50 though, and it seems to add the right kind of color to whatever I'm using it with. Loud and punchy too, and built like a tank.

Kings of the hill for me are my vht 2150 & 2100 classic.Runners up are mesa strategy 400,500 and coliseum 300.Rivera 320,vht 292,252 and maybe a few others if you want the thee best in tube power amps.
Any preamp,or pre out of a head that I run thru the 2150 or 2100 is simply magical.( it doesnt feel like youre playing thru a disconnected preamp anymore.)And the tone,feel,and vibe is just like thier respective heads.Sometimes even better.Now mind you, the winged c's and proper biasing in the vhts definitely ups the ante in tone lol.

TL;DR Fryette 2/90/2 > Everything Else

I own/owned quite a few, so let’s see…

Mesa Strategy 500 - Sounds like a cross between KT88’s & 6l6’s ‘cause that’s what’s in it. Had some switch that made the lows kick u in the balls, like resonance/depth set to ten, could have been useful if it was on a potentiometer but was way too extreme as an on/off gut punch. Amp was heavy AF.

Carvin TS100 - The clearest hi-fi sounding high end I’ve ever heard, just beautiful highs, but lacks balls. I like balls.

Carvin T100 - Been too long but I remember disliking it.

Mesa 20/20 - I thought it might be useful for practicing the brutalz at low volumes but nope, I learned that EL84’s are more suited for classic rock (& maybe blues & country? I wouldn’t know.)

Peavey Classic 120 - A lil bit loose for my mega down tuned ass but not a bad amp. Aggressive crunchy 6L6 low mids, but the low end gets kind of blurry if you’re down tuned & technical. Nice that it had a resonance knob, every amp should have one.

The Rivera boat anchor - Its been too long, I just remember it weighed 5 zillion lbs and was impressed how well it handled lows with EL34’s.

VHT 2150 - Oh fuck yeah. Incredible clarity while still having great character.

2/90/2 - I A/B’d it with the 2150 and it won. 2 less rack spaces and I thought it sounded a tad clearer/tighter (although the 2150 was from the original run and the caps we’re starting to leak, so, yeah). I haven’t gotten any amp to sit better in the mix for rhythm, live or recorded.

Seymour Duncan KTG-2100 - Has more character/coloration/mids than the 2/90/2. A lot players would fucking love this thing. You’ll have to murder me for it.

Groove Tubes Soul-O Slave 75 - Sounds a lot like the KTG-2100. It can take KT88, 6L6 or EL34’s which, after trying them all, has shown me that tube type accounts for like 25% of the tone and the way the designer has voiced the amp is the other 75%. RT2/50 guys prolly know what I’m talking about. Always wanted to try an RT2/50, who’s got one?

Marshall 9005 - I own a JCM-800 preamp clone and used to have a JMP-1. That pissed off snarling thing in the Marshall tone apparently doesn’t come from just the pre, this power amp adds some snarl too. The 9005 is kind of loose and does this blurry thing with low notes. I keep the presence all the way down or it gets shrill & crispy AF. It’s not for me, this thing might rock for Dio tunes or thrash but I’m after the brutz.

Fryette PS100 - This one taught me that an amp can be too hi-fi sounding and lack character. I see how it would be good for modelers.

I recently did a shoot out for best lead tone, it’s a tough choice between 2/90/2, KTG-2100 & Soul-O Slave. 2/90/2 sits so nice in the mix and let’s rhythm guitar through without having to crank the lead up, but the other 2 are fatter and sit in the mix more like 80’s lead tones.

TL;DR Fryette 2/90/2 > Everything Else

I own/owned quite a few, so let’s see…

Mesa Strategy 500 - Sounds like a cross between KT88’s & 6l6’s ‘cause that’s what’s in it. Had some switch that made the lows kick u in the balls, like resonance/depth set to ten, could have been useful if it was on a potentiometer but was way too extreme as an on/off gut punch. Amp was heavy AF.

Carvin TS100 - The clearest hi-fi sounding high end I’ve ever heard, just beautiful highs, but lacks balls. I like balls.

Carvin T100 - Been too long but I remember disliking it.

Mesa 20/20 - I thought it might be useful for practicing the brutalz at low volumes but nope, I learned that EL84’s are more suited for classic rock (& maybe blues & country? I wouldn’t know.)

Peavey Classic 120 - A lil bit loose for my mega down tuned ass but not a bad amp. Aggressive crunchy 6L6 low mids, but the low end gets kind of blurry if you’re down tuned & technical. Nice that it had a resonance knob, every amp should have one.

The Rivera boat anchor - Its been too long, I just remember it weighed 5 zillion lbs and was impressed how well it handled lows with EL34’s.

VHT 2150 - Oh fuck yeah. Incredible clarity while still having great character.

2/90/2 - I A/B’d it with the 2150 and it won. 2 less rack spaces and I thought it sounded a tad clearer/tighter (although the 2150 was from the original run and the caps we’re starting to leak, so, yeah). I haven’t gotten any amp to sit better in the mix for rhythm, live or recorded.

Seymour Duncan KTG-2100 - Has more character/coloration/mids than the 2/90/2. A lot players would fucking love this thing. You’ll have to murder me for it.

Groove Tubes Soul-O Slave 75 - Sounds a lot like the KTG-2100. It can take KT88, 6L6 or EL34’s which, after trying them all, has shown me that tube type accounts for like 25% of the tone and the way the designer has voiced the amp is the other 75%. RT2/50 guys prolly know what I’m talking about. Always wanted to try an RT2/50, who’s got one?

Marshall 9005 - I own a JCM-800 preamp clone and used to have a JMP-1. That pissed off snarling thing in the Marshall tone apparently doesn’t come from just the pre, this power amp adds some snarl too. The 9005 is kind of loose and does this blurry thing with low notes. I keep the presence all the way down or it gets shrill & crispy AF. It’s not for me, this thing might rock for Dio tunes or thrash but I’m after the brutz.

Fryette PS100 - This one taught me that an amp can be too hi-fi sounding and lack character. I see how it would be good for modelers.

I recently did a shoot out for best lead tone, it’s a tough choice between 2/90/2, KTG-2100 & Soul-O Slave. 2/90/2 sits so nice in the mix and let’s rhythm guitar through without having to crank the lead up, but the other 2 are fatter and sit in the mix more like 80’s lead tones.
Dammit man! What a rundown 👌

Back