Best way to find serious musicians for band?

IMO if you are trying to form a cover band of that genre that people will consistently pay money to see then there needs to be significant eye candy. So either the singer needs to be DLR or the guitar player needs to be Angus. That's a tough ask. At least find something fun in the interim and meet other musicians. They'll see you can play.

You have the chops but lots of people just don't connect with fast shredding but love masterful stuff like Sultans of Swing or if you nail that Joe Walsh solo. I also think it's not easy where you have to shine with a blistering solo on every song after song. I guess in short...look for good players and don't lock yourself into a genre. Look at many of the greats...they took what gigs/work they could until the right thing came along. And some of those gigs unexpectedly opened doors to other opportunities.

Member Dino939 is always looking, practically begging, to jam with anyone here. Hit him up but first, hit the Valium.
Does that mean you want to jam dude?,

Now onto this…Valium component?
..there was a time,
The 50-60’s,
you were more likely to find a janglin’ bottle of Valium in someone’s pocket more often then a pack of chewing gum..

You’re gonna need..
SUPERDRUGS & Frank Booth because..
-WE’RE GOIN’ON A JOYRIDE.

Last edited:
If you are in the sticks, and want a band....be the band. Write songs and sing and be the man.

If you claim to be serious, do this. No one else in the sticks cares about your sweeps.

I’m guessing while he’s doing that you’re looking for other players at Chuck E Cheese?
Really? You put the newspaper down for that? You should be ashamed of yourself. Did you think that was going to go virus?

Tell you what. To show there are no hard feelings, i will take off work and come speed walk around the local mall with you. Then we can catch the senior discount at mcdonalds!

Ps.. You were wearing a hawaiian shirt yesterday and felt cool as hell when you put it on, huh? Now you feel like you gotta change your whole wardrobe..

Last edited:
Really? You put the newspaper down for that? You should be ashamed of yourself. Did you think that was going to go virus?

Tell you what. To show there are no hard feelings, i will take off work and come speed walk around the local mall with you. Then we can catch the senior discount at mcdonalds!

Ps.. You were wearing a hawaiian shirt yesterday and felt cool as hell when you put it on, huh? Now you feel like you gotta change your whole wardrobe..
LOL. Ok. Shouldn't you be TikToking right now?

I’ll keep this one along the protocols,
Honestly, that depends on where you are going to be playing,-the towns vibe and if in that town
there are real players who play what you want
to play & create coupled with
-if it’s realistic around there?
Anybody can win over the “barfly zombies”
“Nobody’s ugly after 2am”…etc.

Is the love of the music worth it in that town?
I go out often to see local music,
I HEAVILY support the opening act.
Why?
Because WE are gonna sweat you hometown hero’s!!,
Also, make cool flyer’s and creatively attach them
to the local GC/Sam Ash etc message boards.
Put the word out & start burning the midnight oil
on that fretboard.

*Play your guitar along with
Randy Rhoads on the constant,
-I say this because you will always be READY*.
Weaponized.

Last edited:
It's geting harder to keep a band together these days. Probably because I'm pushing 50 and everyone has things that conflict in life. My current band has been together since 2020. (Great year to try to reform a band...lol!) We've had to deal with covid and other bullshit. Hell, our singer just had a heart attack a couple of weeks ago. (He's getting better, btw.) I think as you get older its just harder to keep that fire going for everyone in a project. Now, if I wanted to do a tribute band... I could make that happen all day long. lol!

Looking for helpful tips/advice on the best to find serious musicians for band, or finding a serious band to join. I live more out in the sticks, so it can be tough for me, but I don't mind commuting wherever I need to for practice and gigs. I just can't ever find serious people. It's like for every serious person there's a billion flakes. So for those of you who have managed to get bands together and make them stick together long enough to get a set together and get out and play, what are some tips you think would help me?

As far as the internet goes, are there some sites I should check out where serious musicians post? Craigslist I've never had much success with. Bandmix I can't seem to find active people on either.

Is there a method of going about it that makes it easier? Like maybe just finding the drummer first, then adding other members as you go? Kind of sick of just playing guitar by myself here in my room. I need some help! lol

Thanks!
Hi there, I'm having the same issues too. I'm trying to get a project together and the sites just seem full of ego's and people who cant even return calls or reply and honestly, apart from asking around, there just doesn't seem to be anything that carries serious local musicians: I've even started going to an open Mic and Guest artist venue, just talent spotting.

Marry a drummer. She drums and I do everything else myself plus she has female vocals covered if we need. Bonus: I can bang her and shes a great cook. I dont need a band but then again we dont play out, just record and jam.

Just being out and going to shows, meeting people is honestly best. Generally, people want to be in bands with people they enjoy being around. So being present in the local scene does more good than randos from Craigslist, etc. If you don't drum or have an incredible voice, then you are a dime a dozen musician, no matter your skill level,

I don’t fuck around with anyone that can’t send me a recording of them doin their thing. It’s 2023 ffs. Had ppl come up to me at shows and ask if we’re lookin for another guitarist, front man, etc., talkin themselves up but can’t be bothered to at least make a simple phone recording. Flappin gums & blowin smoke.
Live on stage, is the best way for your self or a band to prove themselves.

I heard many club owners complain about the bands they hire to play.
The band usually sends in a Cake Walk / Pro Tools demo and when they play live, they are a total train wreck.

IMO if you are trying to form a cover band of that genre that people will consistently pay money to see then there needs to be significant eye candy. So either the singer needs to be DLR or the guitar player needs to be Angus. That's a tough ask. At least find something fun in the interim and meet other musicians. They'll see you can play.

You have the chops but lots of people just don't connect with fast shredding but love masterful stuff like Sultans of Swing or if you nail that Joe Walsh solo. I also think it's not easy where you have to shine with a blistering solo on every song after song. I guess in short...look for good players and don't lock yourself into a genre. Look at many of the greats...they took what gigs/work they could until the right thing came along. And some of those gigs unexpectedly opened doors to other opportunities.
Sounds like you need to go to Austin.
A whole lotta’ firepower there.
I disagree with a stern spank,
-with the locking yourself genre component.
These days you don’t have enough time & players
to go wrestle around with to shake them out of that towns mix,to figure that out.
You gotta’ go where music’s strong.
The trillion dollar question?
How old are you?
AND
How old do you look?
-that’s THE red cunt hair,
-the RCH.
That cuts a lotta’ player’s heads right there.

Back