Billy Blades Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been blowing smoke up everyones ass about these things for awhile now...
A gutshot of truth was bound to show up sooner or later.

JTyson":3jfgkfoq said:
He's been blowing smoke up everyones ass about these things for awhile now...
A gutshot of truth was bound to show up sooner or later.

I hear ya JTyson. He's not even a good assembler, yet he calls himself a boutique amp builder.

Don't get me wrong, I have definatly seen nicer , cleaner , and more thought out layouts then this, but if it sounds good, has no Noise issues and is reliable then that should be what matters. Yrs ago most players wouldn't care what the guts looked like as long as it sounded great. I have seen plenty of vintage amps that aren't pretty also. Taking your amp to the mall for glamour shots is something that came about in the past ten yrs!! Lol. I see this pics of gear in front of waterfalls and shit, cracks me up.
Was the owner of this amp complaining?

joepete77":u7t0un00 said:
Don't get me wrong, I have definatly seen nicer , cleaner , and more thought out layouts then this, but if it sounds good, has no Noise issues and is reliable then that should be what matters. Yrs ago most players wouldn't care what the guts looked like as long as it sounded great. I have seen plenty of vintage amps that aren't pretty also. Taking your amp to the mall for glamour shots is something that came about in the past ten yrs!! Lol. I see this pics of gear in front of waterfalls and shit, cracks me up.

After just a couple months that amp has started to play up. Bad solder joints. This was after the owner already got new cabinets from Sourmash as the cabs that Billy made were disgusting. Billy told him to take the amp to another tech to get fixed but the owner was too embarrassed to take it to anyone so he learnt how to fix it himself.

Billy Blades is a fat redneck piece of shit.

joepete77":2m8i2rmg said:

Well the big problem here is whether or not it is safe. I agree that the wiring doesn't have to be perfect or even the soldering, but this amp is a disaster waiting to happen as pointed out in some of the above posts.

The other problem is that Billy claims to be a boutique amp builder.

And yes, the amp was delivered with a volume drop problem that the buyer fixed himself. (Cold solder joint on pin 2 of the PI.)

go to his website billyblades.net you can buy his custom amps there, the venom and the firebolt. msrp 3000, but direct from him only 299 dollars, just kidding, i think it was 1600? i just looked at the marshall forum. don't know much about him. is billy blades his real name or a forum name he uses? in one of his posts he said that the big name mod guys were making life hard for him??? also, he was saying friedman is disrespecting jose and his family by calling jose's mod the brown eye, another word for butthole, the butthole mod and how he would be sad if jose;s family learned someone was stealing his mod and calling it the butthole mod. wow!!!

marshallmadness":160jyiz4 said:
joepete77":160jyiz4 said:

After just a couple months that amp has started to play up. Bad solder joints. This was after the owner already got new cabinets from Sourmash as the cabs that Billy made were disgusting. Billy told him to take the amp to another tech to get fixed but the owner was too embarrassed to take it to anyone so he learnt how to fix it himself.

Billy Blades is a fat redneck piece of shit.

why was he embarrassed to take it to someone, because he had billy blades mod his amp? has every persom in the guitar/amp world heard of this dude??

Splawn has shipped an amplifier or two that had cold solder joints - but he was able to help troubleshoot the problem with a tech in no time at all to get it resolved. Meaning that he stands behind his work and will not leave anyone hanging. Accidents happen but that amplifier is no accident. That is a cluster fuck of someone carelessly rushing through a build and spending 6+ hours or more at a bench without any care for user safety or mechanical know-how. Hell he even used the same damn gauge of wiring throughout the entire amplifier. There are some places where heavier gauges just are not called for. He even used the same wattage resistors throughout the amplifier. Overall it was carelessly done top to bottom and isn't worth more than the parts that are in it.

On top of the poor quality of the build, he marked all of the values to make it a pain to troubleshoot :doh:

IMHO he should be banned from AX84 and the marshall forum for even attempting to pull that off. Someone is going to get hurt if he keeps that up or his amps end up in the used market.

Can't tell if this feels like an asshole move on your part to throw a passionate guy under the bus or a serious public safety announcement/concern.

I'll go with a little of both. But mostly asshole. :no:

He was embarrassed because it looked like a cluster f**k and he didn't want to have some tech say, "Who built this piece of crap?"

BLADES CUSTOM AMPLIFICATION

Our tones are almost as hot as the amps themselves.

3560765177_54d6921f31_z.jpg

Rather he blacked the values out then completely smother the amp in gasket seal goop like I have seen other guys do. Truth be told , I paid out the nose for a mod , waited forever and once received, it started smoking at 2nd band practice. It was making popping noises when switching from standby and noisy as hell also, was also bass heavy dark and muddy for my tastes, it wasn't billy blades so u won't hear about it on this forum.

joepete77":2uq7cgl6 said:
Truth be told , I paid out the nose for a mod , waited forever and once received, it started smoking at 2nd band practice. It was making popping noises when switching from standby and noisy as hell also, was also bass heavy dark and muddy for my tastes, it wasn't billy blades so u won't hear about it on this forum.

So who was it? Why keep it a secret? :confused:

xXDaveyJonesXx":s80r8l79 said:
Can't tell if this feels like an asshole move on your part to throw a passionate guy under the bus or a serious public safety announcement/concern.

I'll go with a little of both. But mostly asshole. :no:

Call me an asshole for pointing out obvious safety concerns. If it keeps anyone that is reading this from getting hurt or killed then it is worth it.

If it was done through a registered business license inside the USA it should be reported to the BBB for failing certain IEEE standards that have to be met. There are certain responsibilities that you uphold the second you build something for others to use and there is blatant disregard for life inside that chassis. Half assed work that was rushed or poorly executed.

The amp is not so much as a rats nest build as it is a amateur child's build. Yes point to point amps and older fender amps can be quite rat nest like, but what sets this amp apart???

Terrible soldering, cold solder joints, these will cause problems down the road. Billy says in earlier posts he "triple solders". But the pics looks like he means that he heats solder around the solder joints in layers. Terrible.

The resistors soldered to the leads should be heat shrinked not only for safety , but also to help reduce the stain stress on the solder joint itself.

You can see plenty of burned insulation on the wiring from the soldering iron = Amateur hour here. Not just one or two but all over the place.

Notice the rosin flux that has dripped down on the contacts of the speaker selector switch. This will cause issues as well down the road.

Solder splats on the wiring insulation, this will come of and possibly get loose on the amp possible shorting a connection.

As for resistor size, I see various different sizes. I see carbon film, metal film and oxides. So I don't see a big issue there. 2 watt metal films can be the same or even smaller than 1 watt carbon film resistors.

The issue I think that exists here is that Mr Blades about the last year went on rants on just about every amp forum that exists, ranting about his amp building prowess, knowing all the Cameron secrets. He was going to build high end amps to be sold at Sam Ash and Guitar Center. He was going to take over the amp bailing industry. He was banned from most of the forums including this one.

That build of his looks like someones first attempt to build a tube amp, not something you would be selling to customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back