Billy Gibbons rig walk through

cool stuff. the tech seems like a cool enough guy as well.
I can't even imagine playing 7s....I haven't played anything lower than 10s in probably 10 years!

Heavily chambered guitars with 7s!

What would TGP say? :LOL: :LOL:

Kinda kills that whole "thin tone" argument.

I don't think his tech did that bad of a job. Seems like a guy who's just rolling through 15 years of touring and teching memory for a guy who changes his guitars as often as he changes his drawers.

The Reverend has a light touch.....

Elwood has been around the block a few times. Interesting how he matches the output of various guitars in the vault for consistency. What was that he was mapping with?

Steve

Interesting.

I always though he would have been a guy for 11's... Just goes to show how awesome I am at hearing details like that.

I was glad to see Billy get rid of them damn Crate combo's and off of that kick. What was he thinking?

No presence and treble though on the EQ. I don't get it. I mess around with some ZZ covers and nail it easily with the JMP-1 or any of my Marshall heads, but not that way.

Steve

a few years ago I got to tech for Billy for a one off gig he was sitting in at, he promptly turned ALL of the tone controls to zero on a rented Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and cranked the gain all the way up... he had a rented Les Paul which was no prize and low and behold it sounded just like Billy Gibbons... I couldn't believe it until I heard it.

mikehickey":2w3xej5e said:
a few years ago I got to tech for Billy for a one off gig he was sitting in at, he promptly turned ALL of the tone controls to zero on a rented Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and cranked the gain all the way up... he had a rented Les Paul which was no prize and low and behold it sounded just like Billy Gibbons... I couldn't believe it until I heard it.

that's awesome!

To me Billy's tone has that "zingy crunch" to it, but never really gainy. I guess dimming all of the tone controls attenuates the signal enough to squash the gain a bit.

I might give it a try when I get home! Usually I do the reverse (keep the gain low but crank all tone controls up).

Using some sort of spectrum analyzer--looked like a TC or Eventide to me. He's using a Digitech MEQ-14 for the actual EQ--great old MIDI EQ unit.

racerevlon":lssqb8gt said:
Using some sort of spectrum analyzer--looked like a TC or Eventide to me. He's using a Digitech MEQ-14 for the actual EQ--great old MIDI EQ unit.

Yeah, that's pretty cool for a rig. I didn't see what he was using for power amps. The JMP-1 has a factory preset for "Billy" tone and it is flatter than piss on a plate, but nails the Tres Hombres era stuff.

Very interesting. I've always liked ZZ top. Unfortunately, I always thought the only thing worse than his recorded tone was his live tone. Flame suit on.

Back