Blackstar SERIES ONE 104EL34 vs. Baron B60/120

Blackie08

Doesn't sound that bad...

Although I'm really GASsing for a Baron B60

What say Rig-Talk??? Leaning toward Baron B60 with dual masters + gains for OD channel gain modes.....

I like the sound of the B60/120 a lot more than the blackstar..
But then again maybe I am biased since I have one of Daves amps coming this week.. :thumbsup: :LOL: :LOL:

Dave is great to deal with can't say enough about how he conducts his business between the emails on starting work, pictures of progress and finished progress all top notch :thumbsup:

In these clips the Blackstar sounds overly compressed and harsh, almost like a distortion pedal. The Baron clips sound more like a proper amp, but they are room-miked which always sounds better to my ear. Not having playing either (so take it for what it's worth), based on these clips I would pick the Baron.

You probably ought to mention a bit more about what sort of music you play for others to chime in with their opinion...

duodecim":345giw06 said:
In these clips the Blackstar sounds overly compressed and harsh, almost like a distortion pedal. The Baron clips sound more like a proper amp, but they are room-miked which always sounds better to my ear. Not having playing either (so take it for what it's worth), based on these clips I would pick the Baron.

You probably ought to mention a bit more about what sort of music you play for others to chime in with their opinion...

I play mostly 80's rock/metal with some blues and classic rock.. Guitar wise I have a USA strat and a So-Cal pro-mod.
I also think the Baron sounds best. I know someone is gonna suggest a Quickrod for that type of music.... The baron just seems to be not quite as stiff as the splawn stuff. Little easier to play and more saturation in the gain without being overly saturated and compressed....

From the clips, I would say Baron. But we're comparing close mic to camera room mic. Baron seems to have a voicing in the mids I prefer.

the Baron for me , as much as i like blackstar stuff, in the clips the baron just sounds a lot better, something about the blackstar that makes it sound grainy instead of crunchy and thick which is what i'm used to from their other products i use (Ht-5 and a HT dual pedal)

Sorry but the Baron shits all over the Blackstar. It breathes tube tone and has amazing harmonic content while the Blackstar sounds sterile and almost solid state. Just my opinion of course. Go BARON!

I'm a huge Blackstar fan (the HT-100 is my favorite amp I have ever had\played) but I have yet to hear a series one clip that sounds anything like my HT-100 or the other ht series I have played. I would love to play one in person as I doubt those amps sound bad but from the clips I would buy the baron for sure.

I've had my B60 for about 3 weeks now, go with the Baron you will not be disapointed :rock:. Absolutely my favorite amp bar non!

craftm1":25zs9bj3 said:
I've had my B60 for about 3 weeks now, go with the Baron you will not be disapointed :rock:. Absolutely my favorite amp bar non!

Care to give a little review of it? I think I’m going to go for the B60 with dual gains and masters on the Lead Channel…

I have a Baron b60 as well in fact the blue one you posted above is mine .
The Baron sounds great it is a very modern sounding OD channel, very versatile tons of options and voicing switches .
Do not get JJ tubes..lol

gtr31":30sqqe91 said:
The Baron sounds great it is a very modern sounding OD channel, very versatile tons of options and voicing switches .
Do not get JJ tubes..lol

What do you mean by modern sounding OD channel... I thought it was more Hot-Rodded Marshall kinda vibe...

I can't speak for the Blackstar clips, but the Baron vids don't do the tone of his amps any justice at all. To make an accurate comparison based on the videos is really not possible in my opinion. I'm in my fourth month of ownership with my Baron K88 and the honeymoon is still on. :rock:

The dual gains are a very nice feature. You can basically use different levels of gain on the two so they function as rhythm/lead channels within one channel, or you can set one's volume level higher than the other and use it as a solo boost. All footswitchable and very handy.

The high gain channel is not modern sounding in my opinion. It's very much a super hot rodded plexi, and I've had a few over the years to compare it too. No boost pedal required!!! But it works very well with a boost pedal :rock: :rock:

After I got my Baron K2, I sold ALL of my other amps, and it has survived the past year and a half, along side my other recent additions.

Dave Woodhouse is THE man. Top 3 in terms of customer service out there in the custom amp market, and the build quality is off the wall.

I have neither seen one person on this forum say something negative about how he conducts business, nor anything bad about his amps.

Go for it.

Blackie08":2tbqzaaq said:
gtr31":2tbqzaaq said:
Do not get JJ tubes..lol

What do you mean by modern sounding OD channel... I thought it was more Hot-Rodded Marshall kinda vibe...

.. Kinda Marshall but his own voicing for sure ..I compare it a lot to a Splawn .very open. uncompressed pretty tight and bright.
To me it is a more modern sounding OD than say a classic Marshall Feel is different too .Again I use different pickups and different speakers than you .but IMO it does not have that classic 70s plexi tone .

it has a great hard rock hi gain crunch .tight bright and cutting again i similar to a Splawn
the Splawn though is the more Marshall sounding of the 2

Back