Blown Fuse - Protocol?

boltzthrower

VHT 2/90/2 was blowing fuses on one channel a few months ago. A couple of resistors were fried. Amp tech said it was due to a bad power tube. Put new tubes in and replaced resistors and no problems for 8 months until yesterday it blew another fuse. I don't see any burnt resistors.

Amp tech had told me if it blows a fuse it's an indication that something is wrong with the amp and I shouldn't just be putting a new fuse in without someone going over the amp. Does that sound right? I have new tubes I could put in the amp (re-biased of course) and a new fuse. What would you do? Change the fuse & tubes or pay a tech to go over it first?

Also, might be a coincidence but it blew a fuse right after I moved the amp from home to the practice space. No unusual slams, didn't drop it or anything, but the rack it's in is pretty heavy with the power conditioner so it gets jossled a bit just setting it down normally. Kind of makes me think it might be a power tube?

I would check every part inside with the proper tools .... measure every component ... if you don't know how to do this and have a " Tech " available .... pay him or her to do it ..
resistors and other components don't have to look fried ....to be fried ..... sometimes they still look brand new ... but dead as a door nail

Back