Bogner 101B. Am i missing something??

rpurdue

Hey all. I need a little info about the 101b. I have a really great price i can get one of these for. I think it's an early to mid 2000's model. I took it to try and for the life of me, i couldn't get a great crunch out of it. It was really, really murky and middy. It seemed to lack bass (even with the voicing options changed) and had little to no high end. Now, this amp has literally been sitting in a barn unused for 3 years. Other than the dust (which i cleaned) it is in perfect shape though. Is this typical of the tone of the standard 101b or is it possible a tube change can make the difference?

rpurdue":r6w4w4e1 said:
Hey all. I need a little info about the 101b. I have a really great price i can get one of these for. I think it's an early to mid 2000's model. I took it to try and for the life of me, i couldn't get a great crunch out of it. It was really, really murky and middy. It seemed to lack bass (even with the voicing options changed) and had little to no high end. Now, this amp has literally been sitting in a barn unused for 3 years. Other than the dust (which i cleaned) it is in perfect shape though. Is this typical of the tone of the standard 101b or is it possible a tube change can make the difference?

Speaker cab and tubes will make or break the 101B.

Lack of bass in XTC... hmmmm :confused:

Definitely You need a fresh set of =C='s in poweramp and fresh preamp tubes also. If You want creamy tones You need EHX in V2 & V3. Set of all Chinese will bring You the most gain.

What speakers to You use? In what cab?

Regards, Andy :)

i too like the EH preamp tube in V2. i run high-gain chinese or NOS in V1.

i love great crunch sounds and use my 101B for that. for me, the best crunch settings are B1 on both Blue and Red, and tight Excursion on Red, and Bass, Mid, Treble noon to 1:30 o'clock, and Gain turned down to 10 or 9 o'clock.

i also use the post-2004, higher gain setting on Red. it has a tighter, crunchier sound than the pre-2004, lower gain setting, which is loser [but not as loose as Blue]. because i use the post-2004, i turn the Red gain down lower than i usually would. so my Red gain at 10 o'clock is still very high-gain.

i use KT77 power tubes too.

like SLOgriff says, speakers seem to be key with the 101B. no other speaker i have tried sounds as good as my chinese V30s in a Bogner OS 2x12.

rpurdue":23lune0u said:

Honestly, it is not one of my favorite amps. I think the 20th Anniversary Shiva and XTC kill it. In the same tonal territory, the PWE is like a better 101b.....to my ears. :)

I have a stock 101B. It has a great crunch tone and the lows mids and highs easily dialed in to taste. The one you're talking about doesn't sound like its sorted as the others are saying in this thread.

Shared EQ on channels 2/3 is a big trade-off and a sacrifice. Best I could do was change blankets.

edit....having said that, I wish the Two Notes stuff had been around when I was playing a 101B. it is damn sure a solid amp, just couldn't get ALL of it dialed in with one cab/speaker combination.

Back