Bogner 4x12 vs. 2x12 OS!!!

Nico

Guys,

I was thinking of buying a Bogner Oversize cab 2x12 to go with my Diezel Einstien 50W head.

I haven't got a chance to test them out. How good is the 2x12 compared to the 4x12. Does it sound big?

I also have a JCM 800 in a 1960 cab. I want the 2x12 to be able to keep up with it.

I really don't have to move it a lot and space is not a big issue, since its going to be used in a reahearsing room in my place, so I don't mind buying the 4x12 either. But was thinking of getting a 2x12, to save some space and cash.

What do you think...

Thanks!

I've got both and the difference in size in minimal... the OS 2x12 is about 5" shorter than a standard Bogner 4x12. Both are awesome cabs. The OS 2x12 sounds as big as most other 4x12's IMO.

Ya, there's not much difference in size, but at the end of the day, a 4x12 will always push more air than a 2x12.

V.

The differences are as you'd expect...the 4x12 has more depth and bass. The 2x12 sounds great, but obviously is not the same thing as 4 speakers pushing air.

^ yes , I agree with the 2 above statements, but I would have to say that they are the coolest 2x12 cabs I have ever used.. If I were to go back to a 2x12 that would be the cab I would get.

se7en":1osmqwh5 said:
The differences are as you'd expect...the 4x12 has more depth and bass. The 2x12 sounds great, but obviously is not the same thing as 4 speakers pushing air.

a lot of 2x12's sound deeper and bassier than their equivalent 4x12's

but nothing beats a 4x12
only TWO 4x12's :D

and I love the X pattern thing

I have both and agree with the above statements. The 2x12 sounds HUGE but not as huge as the Bogner 4x12. I would rather have the Bogner OS 2x12 than 99% of the other 4x12's out there. I think you'd be more than happy with the 2x12 if you're trying to save some cash but it's close to the same size as a 4x12 so the space saving will be minimal. :thumbsup:

I have had both and the only time the 4x12 is an advantage is at large venues where the stage is big. $x12 cabs are long throw cabs...the sound is best when you are about 15-20 feet away. If you are in a small club right in front of the cab, you will not get the full impact and your audience will. For you to hear yourself, you either need great monitors, or crank the amp so much that you will blow the crowd away.

Since I am a club player, I decided to use the oversize 2x12 semi open. It worked the best in clubs, That being said, I look forward to the day when I can use a 4x12 in a large venue...nothing sounds better when it is cranked

Many club players would argue they hear themselves best on stage with a 412 over a 212 and would also agree the sound is more full with a 412. Me, I really like a semi open back 212 like the THD 212 or Bogner OS212. The Egnater is also great.

That said, it's been a long time since I used a 412 in small clubs but I want to pick up another 412, something cheap and used! My favorite 412 to date is the old Line 6 Vetta 412 I had and loved. Never had an issue hearing myself on stage, never.
Played through a Crate 412 at a rehearsal hall weeks ago that had been overhauled with Eminence speakers. The cab sounded flat out killer. I don't buy into the brand name thing anymore.....I'll find any used cheap 412 and make it work with the right speakers.

One thing about 412s is they tend to sound smoother. I tend to find this to be the case a lot! Something about the loud and phase cancelation?

richedie":wi4avozu said:
Many club players would argue they hear themselves best on stage with a 412 over a 212 and would also agree the sound is more full with a 412. Me, I really like a semi open back 212 like the THD 212 or Bogner OS212. The Egnater is also great.

That said, it's been a long time since I used a 412 in small clubs but I want to pick up another 412, something cheap and used! My favorite 412 to date is the old Line 6 Vetta 412 I had and loved. Never had an issue hearing myself on stage, never.
Played through a Crate 412 at a rehearsal hall weeks ago that had been overhauled with Eminence speakers. The cab sounded flat out killer. I don't buy into the brand name thing anymore.....I'll find any used cheap 412 and make it work with the right speakers.

One thing about 412s is they tend to sound smoother. I tend to find this to be the case a lot! Something about the loud and phase cancelation?

Interesting post. I agree, 412's do sound smoother, and I also agree there's a lot of hot air in the concept of name brand novelty - but - I've also heard the difference between some no name cabs and some big name cabs, and oft at times, the pluses were with the higher priced cabs. I'd posted a long time ago - the concept of physics and atomic composition, to me, a cab is a box with 4 holes in it. Barring the notion of denser woods versus cheap ass plywood, I find it hard to imagine what on earth could make one box sound better than the other - but they do. Still puzzles me. I've done some serious speaker swapping, cab swapping, head swapping and volume/SPL tests, and I am perplexed as to why some cabs with certain speakers just sound better than others. Nevertheless, having owned an OS212 Bogner, it was a righteously phat cabinet - it pumped, pushed air, sounded thick and juicy, and was smooth. I'd have kept it if it weren't for the fact that it was only a smidgen shorter than any 412, and 4x12's instead of 2x12's always sound better to me regardless - so I just upgraded to a 4x12 and left it at that.

Peace,
V.

Right now I have a Bogner OS 212 with ET65/Vet30 speakers and a THD 212. Both have the slot ports or semi open back.
I thought about grabbing a 412 like a Marshall 412B or Bogner 412 but honestly its another 2" deep, 5" high and 20 lbs heavier....harder to get up steps in clubs, tight corners, across gravel parking lots where you can not roll the cab. I just find 212s easier and the difference in sound to me is not THAT big....not enough for me to want one for a 40 minute original set. I think the 212 cabs I have are plenty smooth.

I am hoping to get a Port City OS212 as well and from what I hear they can easily compete with any 412 in smoothness and bigness.

My ear candy buzzbomb did not sound as big as a 412...but my Egnater 212 got close as does my Bogner OS 212.

The 2x12 is pretty big sounding and of course, easy to set up.

The 4x12 fills the venue better, is easier to hear on stage and the bass thumps harder.

That's why I have a have one of each...I'm curious how a Port City 2x12 would compare...

se7en":1odka60i said:

The 4x12 fills the venue better, is easier to hear on stage and the bass thumps harder.

That's why I have a have one of each...I'm curious how a Port City 2x12 would compare...

I hear ya bro...I just can't justify owning one. My days of lugging a 412 are over. I hate moving my gear as it is! LOL!

If I end up with the PS OS212...I'll post a review.

se7en":3b63vs6m said:

Both your cabs sound awesome, I'm biased towards 4x12's of course. :LOL: :LOL:

Looks like I am officially avoiding a 412, LOL. I am ordering another Ear Candy Buzzbomb 212. I used to have one and miss it.

Finally decided on a 2x12

Do the casters come standard?

Now I have to decide on the wheat look or the all black. I have a Diezel head so the better choice would be the black cab I think. (Ohhh the wheat cab is so nice as well :doh: don't know which to get)

Good choice. The 212 is more than enough for any club and if mic'ed you could use a 112.
We will play some places that use stage volume so the big 212 helps. I am still going to grab a Marshall 1960B and toss in some WFS Geen Berets for the heck if it.
Some of the better places we have played actually now prefer guts just bring a modelling unit and run direct to the PA. I am picking up a good modeller for that to. I like options.

richedie":o2svk7np said:
Good choice. The 212 is more than enough for any club and if mic'ed you could use a 112.
We will play some places that use stage volume so the big 212 helps. I am still going to grab a Marshall 1960B and toss in some WFS Geen Berets for the heck if it.
Some of the better places we have played actually now prefer guts just bring a modelling unit and run direct to the PA. I am picking up a good modeller for that to. I like options.

Good modeler: Axe Fx standard or Ultra.

Its not cheap at all maybe 1500 for the standard and 1800 for the ultra I believe...

If you consider its not only an amp modeler, you can substitute all of your effects and use the axe as well....

Odd question I read somewhere on a thread the Bogner can sound muffled too much low end? Then maybe its the amp? Thoughts? Also read the THD 2X12 is very clear.

keano":jxoa9h1k said:
Odd question I read somewhere on a thread the Bogner can sound muffled too much low end? Then maybe its the amp? Thoughts? Also read the THD 2X12 is very clear.

NOt at all.

Bogner OS212 sounds huge and clear.

Back