Bogner Fish reissue - was it all it was made out to be?

kruts

So after all the wait for the reissue to hit the market, and months later of users listening to it, is this preamp worth $2800 USD. Are the tones awesome? Would you buy it again? How does it compare to your bogner XTC? What other preamp would you consider next time if you didn't like it?

I'm looking to buy one, however I'm interested in knowing everyone's opinion first. :rock:

Never played one myself, but if you're serious about buying one I would recommend calling up Rob at Tone Merchants and getting the scoop from him. He knows that pre pretty well.

I had one for a weekend. I liked it, but my XTC-20th is more suited to my needs, so I returned it and ordered a 2nd XTC.

If you're looking for a tight high-gain sound and great cleans from fender to Vox-esque. Then you'll be more than happy with it. I think it's a great compliment to the Ecstasy, but If you're looking for the XTC sound in a preamp, I don't think that's what the Fish does. It sounds quite different.

I believe it was the Shark channel that did the Vox sound pretty well. The Brown and Strato channels were just too "tight" sounding for me.

Keep in mind that I'm not a metal player and that's what the Fish seems aimed at.

tom_h":1hvrdli7 said:
I had one for a weekend. I liked it, but my XTC-20th is more suited to my needs, so I returned it and ordered a 2nd XTC.

If you're looking for a tight high-gain sound and great cleans from fender to Vox-esque. Then you'll be more than happy with it. I think it's a great compliment to the Ecstasy, but If you're looking for the XTC sound in a preamp, I don't think that's what the Fish does. It sounds quite different.

I believe it was the Shark channel that did the Vox sound pretty well. The Brown and Strato channels were just too "tight" sounding for me.

Keep in mind that I'm not a metal player and that's what the Fish seems aimed at.

Interesting reply. Thanks!
I heard those characteristics in the Tone Merchants' JMR video clips, but was unsure if it was my PC, compression from recording, etc.

Didn't the original sell on ebay for $1500 USD?

Other than the randall/egnater preamp, and obviously digital modelers, I can't think of any other preamp that gets similar tones that are in the fish.

Back