Bogner Goldfinger SL and Friedman Smallbox thoughts?

I’ve owned both. Fairly similar amps. The SL is more flexible and has a true clean channel. Very weird amp to run though — the channels are not balanced and the Post FX loop is weird. Sounds great, though. For me, the Smallbox WW Edition was better, but it has a Plexi clean not a true clean, so you’d probably want the GF SL.
That was a non SL gold finger. The original had the pre and post loops. The SL removed that in favor of tailor able boosts for each channel. There is only a single FX loop on the GF SL.

That was a non SL gold finger. The original had the pre and post loops. The SL removed that in favor of tailor able boosts for each channel. There is only a single FX loop on the GF SL.
No, it was an SL. I said Post-FX loop, which is still on the SL, and on the front of the amp. The large number of volumes/boosts is what makes the amp kind of quirky to run.

No, it was an SL. I said Post-FX loop, which is still on the SL, and on the front of the amp. The large number of volumes/boosts is what makes the amp kind of quirky to run.
Yeah, there are a number of controls on it. Loop Gain on the back, along with a line level switch, and then a PostFX control on the front. Heh, it'd take a little time to gain stage that with a preamp system.

You mentioned just getting a SYN-50. I actually hadn't thought of that. But I'd like to go with a head that has a matching 2x12 (vert or diag) cab.

You’re right, had to go look at mine. The old non SL had 2x loops, the SL has a single, but it’s the post.

Once you get the boost and other volumes dialed in, the loop volume on the front serves as a good master volume.

Back