Bogner red pedal question (noise issue inside)

cacheek

I'm really wanting one of these. The clips I've heard are awesome, but I'm reading a lot about the white noise issue. Some people have the problem and some don't. I'm a bit concerned as I don't want to spend 300 bucks for a pedal that hisses. Anybody know if Bogner is doing anything about this particular issue?

I don't think it's a pedal issue but a power issue. Even my Diezel gets white noise if I don't have clean power going to it. Same thing with my Red.

I have some noise depending on where I am. It is also not as noisy as any other gain pedal or high gain amp. Like above, it mainly seems to depend on the power source. Surprisingly, mine is less noisy running it off my one spot daisy chain than it is running it off my DC brick. Anyway, don't worry about noise, b/c it is not anything that is unusable, and I mainly think it is just some people being a little to OCD about it.

shane159":2bib2ahz said:
I have some noise depending on where I am. It is also not as noisy as any other gain pedal or high gain amp. Like above, it mainly seems to depend on the power source. Surprisingly, mine is less noisy running it off my one spot daisy chain than it is running it off my DC brick. Anyway, don't worry about noise, b/c it is not anything that is unusable, and I mainly think it is just some people being a little to OCD about it.
Mine doesn't work with a Onespot daisy chain. It works with the wall wart from the Onespot but not the daisy. :confused:

I don't notice any unusal noise. In fact, there's less noise compared to other pedals I own. :confused:

It might depend on how you intent to use it. My bandmate has one, and he and I were absolutely floored by the amount of noise - it's just unreal. Super loud SHHHHHHHHHH! Well, the problem is, Dave likes to run his amp hot, a bit dirty, and kick in a pedal for more gain for solos. This is also how I run my amp, and how I usually recommend my customers set up their rigs. It's how the greats did it back in the day.

But that doesn't seem to work with a high-gain pedal like the red Bogner. We found that if we turn down the amp to its clean range, the noise was not nearly as bad. Still too much for me (I hate noise!), but not unexpected given the amount of gain. Too bad. Running into a clean amp kind of defeats the purpose of owning a really good tube amp.

I just plugged mine in (with a 1-spot daisy btw ;) ) into my Mark IV clean, turned up to a decent level, maxed the gain and switched the boost on...AND...used my tele with Fidelitrons which are known to have a bit of noise, and it was dead quiet. I mean, no hiss at all. :dunno:

I wonder if people experiencing noise aren't using it into a clean amp. I mean, it doesn't like ANY dirt at all.
Gonna record a clip...

K, here it is. I couldn't crank it up quite to practice levels but it was plenty loud (WAY above "tv volume"). Sorry about the string noise; I was sitting on the floor right behind the camera. If I get a chance I'll crank it up louder tomorrow and stand further from the camera.

Anyway, super quiet pedal!

I have never tried my Bogner red in front of a MV amplifier before. This reminds me of when Soldano released their Supercharger GTO pedal. Many complained that the GTO pedal generated ground-loop hum and white-noise. Soldano designed the GTO to be used as an 'on the floor' mod for NMV amplifiers... It was never intended to be used to bi-amp a MV amplifier. I'm not saying that this is the case with the Bogner Ecstasy red pedal, but when you consider the level of gain the red pedal is capable of, the white-noise effect may be the same. I will place mine in front of my MV amp tomorrow. Do you hear the white-noise when the amp is in clean mode also?

I've used that pedal and it has two known issues. Some were noisy (return it and they will replace it) and some had quirky switches that didn't always engage.

Aside from that it's one of the best high gain pedals I've owned. Quiet when it's right....within reason.

Keep in mind that these Bogner pedals are supposed to replicate the actual preamp of the Blue/Red channels of the XTC. Plugging a high gain preamp into and high gain preamp is bound to create a hiss nightmare. I am almost positive these pedals were designed to be used in front of a clean amp. The common thread I see here, is those who are experiencing noise, are going into high gain amps.

I understand using a boost in front of a high gain amp, but these pedals are supposed to be a high gain amp and probably not a boost in the way they are being used.

These pedals are almost an exact copy of the real preamp circuit but using JFET transistors instead of preamp tubes. These (JFET) have a very close approximation of tone and feel as a 12AX7. Boutique pedal builders have been doing this for years, and now the bigger companies have caught on.

Boost pedals like your tube screamer variants don't have the amount of gain or amplification factor these pedals do

baron55":1uihsj1z said:
Keep in mind that these Bogner pedals are supposed to replicate the actual preamp of the Blue/Red channels of the XTC. Plugging a high gain preamp into and high gain preamp is bound to create a hiss nightmare. I am almost positive these pedals were designed to be used in front of a clean amp. The common thread I see here, is those who are experiencing noise, are going into high gain amps.

I understand using a boost in front of a high gain amp, but these pedals are supposed to be a high gain amp and probably not a boost in the way they are being used.

These pedals are almost an exact copy of the real preamp circuit but using JFET transistors instead of preamp tubes. These (JFET) have a very close approximation of tone and feel as a 12AX7. Boutique pedal builders have been doing this for years, and now the bigger companies have caught on.

Boost pedals like your tube screamer variants don't have the amount of gain or amplification factor these pedals do

This is it exactly, Dave!! These pedals are preamps, not regular dirt boxes. They operate at a higher internal voltage and are meant to be used with a CLEAN amp or amp channel, per Reinhold Bogner. Any noise is because of the amp being used.

I have had mine for a few years, no switch or noise issues. I run it into a clean amp and it sounds great. Thick and chewy

Was messing with my bogner red today trying to get the lowest gain I could from it. When I compared it to the Kingsley Jester, the red had considerably more noise, a white noise hiss. Not noticeable when you play, but it is at quiet parts. Amp is Vox AC50 with both channels jumpered. For what I do now, the bogner blue would have been better, but the red is not going anywhere, great pedal, even if its a little noisey.

Here are my low gain settings:
Gain, 8 oclock (as low as it will go and still sound good)
volume 2 oclock
100, B1, Mellow, Variac off

ChrisCorley":3pyzprum said:
Same issue here. I've tried every possible process of elimination...different cables, power supplies, amps, numerous locations, guitars - it's the pedal. :doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isF8MDLkQ3Y

I noticed you have the gain cranked. Do you get the noise when the gain at 9 oclock (note you have to adjust the volume as you turn the gain down)? I assume you have tried a battery too?

Mine has a little hiss, but nothing like your video. I cranked the gain and the hiss went up a few dBs, but nothing major like I hear in your video.

I had two and used them on many gigs and rehearsals. No noise or switch problems.
Fantastic tones and quality.

They should be used with clean amps. They kill through Blackface Fenders.

Back