Boogie SRG C+ ser. # 13,XXX

I never tried the preamps. Explain how these do more for you so the rest of us understand the difference John.
I’d be curious to hear why too. I’ve yet to hear any preamp into poweramp that sounds or feels as good as just a good amp like a iic+. I’ve had a Langner DCP-1 (with hyper mod), Aguilar 1911 (still have it), tried a Bogner Fish and while they all had some cool sounds in there, they came off lacking when AB’ed with amps (to me at least)

How do you think the depth knobs on them would compare to the coli’s as poweramps with the graph eq engaged (80 slider all the way up)? Without the GEQ they sounded similar, but the coli still sounded punchier and better, but then turn it on and just not fair to the Strategy lol. Maybe I should get a depth knob like that on the coli. My S400 also had the presence knobs
You have a Coli power amp? Just confirming.

You have a Coli power amp? Just confirming.
No no, never had that. I meant my mark iii++ coliseums. I was comparing slaving my amps into just the poweramp of the coli vs the strategy 400 and felt the coli as a poweramp smoked the strategy. Now I have a c+ coli that sounds considerably bigger than my iii++ coli’s, but haven’t tried it yet for slaving

How do you think the depth knobs on them would compare to the coli’s as poweramps with the graph eq engaged (80 slider all the way up)? Without the GEQ they sounded similar, but the coli still sounded punchier and better, but then turn it on and just not fair to the Strategy lol. Maybe I should get a depth knob like that on the coli. My S400 also had the presence knobs
The Coliseum doesn't need a depth ckt, in fact I will say it's wayyy too much.

The Coliseum doesn't need a depth ckt, in fact I will say it's wayyy too much.
Agreed. I just wonder if the Strategy 400 with the depth could match the coli or get closer at least because without it it wasn't even close and that wasn't even compared to this last coli I got, which sounds heavier than the other 3 I've had

The S400 with depth ckts added put it in Coliseum territory. The M180 and Strategy 400 are essentially Coliseum power sections without the GEQ but bc of that they need depth ckts to make up for it. I use a modded M180 in a W/D setup and it's enough to lay waste to not only the city but the entire planet.

Last edited:
I shrunk the rig down a little. The Rectifier preamp was cool and the 400 rocks but both added too much weight so I took the Rectifier out and switched to a 50/50 power amp. Having the Quad is having a C+ & Mark III. I use the C+ side 2/3 of the time at band practice or gigs. When I practice or just twiddle, I play the III side 2/3 of the time. I run the C+ channel at about 8 and the III at 9 with 10 being all out too much gain. No hiss. The C+ side clean is about a 3 and the III side clean is about 6. I have a MXR EQ boosting front to push those clean channels up 2 notches. The BBE 822A is critical to the set-up at room volume, not so much at band volume because the louder it is, the more natural presence there is.

A head is more convenient, like having your shirt and pants match. With a preamp and power amp I can mix and match based on where and what I am doing. The 400 at band volume beats the 50/50 but the 50/50 has a 15 watt option that sounds good for practice and recording.

The Quad can get very hairy without any boost and has zero compression along with a super no pick attack delay and super quick damping factor, which is my most important factor in choosing my tone. It must chug your gut and not poke your eye! Yes, there is some natural compression but not the tone sucking type that 90% of modern amps have.

9/13/2021 by John Bazzano, on Flickr

Back