Boomer Bends

* velcro-fly *

Check this epic shit show thread over at TGP re Polyphia guitarist Tim Henson's comments re "Boomer Vends"

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-on-tim-hensons-boomer-bends-comment.2304797/
I had a buddy send me a link to that kid playing some solo stuff, very Mateus Asato style and it was cool, small doses listening though. This thread made me dig into Polyphia a bit and they're kinda cool, modern day fusion shred I would have to say. Very much reminds me of the early Shrapnel stuff with Greg Howe, Tony Macalpine, Michael Lee Firkins.

Blasphemy yeah, but if I never listened to another SRV song I would prob be ok. To this day the most cringe worthy thing I can think of is being forced to solo over a one chord blues vamp...I run out of things to say in about 2 bars. I need / want stuff to play off and against, I think better that way and its just more interesting to me. Hednrix & Trower have always more been interesting to me than SRV though....

As late in the year as I was born I'm more in the Gen X rising category than Baby Boomer. The butt hurt guys in that TGP thread are people that cant wrap their head around tech playing or the skill required to do so, same geniuses that have the Golden Ear but are extremely limited in skills and experience

The entire “ok boomer” shit is cringey as fuck. Like I’m supposed to be offended or insulted because someone doesn’t really know when I was born?? ( Gen X btw ) And the same idiots throwing around the boomer moniker get super salty when you accuse them of being part of a generation they weren’t born in and try to stereotype them. Everyone needs to get over themselves.

To me, the "boomer bend" thing is more a statement on not wanting to sound like the rock genre style of the past. I have no issue with these guys wanting to sound different etc but I also have no interest in their playing either. Most all of the YT super shredders bore me. They have supreme chops but none of their music sticks with me much. Give me a tasty shredder who marries chops with memorable melodies and hooks. Rock n roll grabbed people initially for a reason..........

To me, the "boomer bend" thing is more a statement on not wanting to sound like the rock genre style of the past. I have no issue with these guys wanting to sound different etc but I also have no interest in their playing either. Most all of the YT super shredders bore me. They have supreme chops but none of their music sticks with me much. Give me a tasty shredder who marries chops with memorable melodies and hooks. Rock n roll grabbed people initially for a reason..........
Agreed. I'll take Richie Kotzen and Jeff Kollman over that stuff all day everyday, I just though the uproar is hilarious

Honestly I don't mind the composition from these guys but their tone drives me nuts and I can only listen to it in small doses. Sounds like a nintendo...

Also the whole edgy young guy shtick starts to wear thin when the guy talking is closer to 30 than 20

I don't understand the butthurt in that thread. And I like that Dave Onorato said something like; That's all I got!" in the Beato video.

I call Polyphia "Millennial shred" and there's no negative connotation there. That's just what it sounds like to me...probably similar to how certain bends sound 'boomer' to TH. There is some definite talent there and occasionally they'll make a song I like. But generally it's not for me...just like lots of other really great stuff. For example, I heard/saw Adele for the very first time last night on that TV special and she is fucking amazing. But not my genre by a long shot and I may never see/hear her again.

I like this one.

The entire “ok boomer” shit is cringey as fuck. Like I’m supposed to be offended or insulted because someone doesn’t really know when I was born?? ( Gen X btw ) And the same idiots throwing around the boomer moniker get super salty when you accuse them of being part of a generation they weren’t born in and try to stereotype them. Everyone needs to get over themselves.
It's the Black Lives Bullshit/Antifa nonsense brought to by blue haired little Millennial fags in skirts and leggings!

Meh, i dont see why everyone is so upset. it IS TGP though. This is exactly the sort of thing that's gonna rustle jimmies there.

I'm sure tim and tosin are very accomplished musicians and all but I hate it - it sounds incredibly unmusical to me. And I'm far closer to THEIR age than the TGP enjoyers.

I don't know which I would rather use for interrogating terrorists - Polyphia or Tag from TGP.

Millennial shred sounds a lot like what I refer to as "Adderall Metal".
i was born in 83, but the male in my life who raised me was my grandpa ("greatest generation/war babies" what ever you wanna call em), i think i take more after the gen x stereo types, but i certainly empithize with boomers because of the way they were raised. its a huge conversation full of broad-brushing and generalizations, meant for another thread on another board, but MUSICALLY, i certainly see why boomers hold their music so near and dear. a lot of it is fucking killer and wrote the text books for us younger generations, so to speak.

Last edited:
Lol at people getting mad over everything these days. I'm all for the "boomer" music myself and don't care for stuff done nowadays.

Fucking TGP erupting again like someone have compared Gibsons to pile of cow dung.

Last edited:
It's the Black Lives Bullshit/Antifa nonsense brought to by blue haired little Millennial fags in skirts and leggings!
Lol you mean "guys" like this? :D
yungblud-1581700590-view-0.jpg

What y'all are aeeing is the "Nirvana" for guitar players in busy ass, boring, look at me I leave
no room for guitar players music.
Meaning too much going on to be yourself.
Now it seems, the guitar dictates that as opposed to crazy Les Claypool type no room for nobody stuff.
So I guess it takes a 'manchild' to break the molds...
If they get too busy, just squeeze their nuts
or superflick' a drum stick into their guitar headstock.

Walk home boy.

Last edited:
Back