Boost for dual rectifier that meets these requirements…

  • Thread starter Thread starter Companydamned
  • Start date Start date
C

Companydamned

New member
Currently using a Mesa gridslammer that I love to boost channel 3/modern mode on my MW dual rectifier, but looking for something different for my ch.2 vintage mode boost. I’ll describe what I’m after by comparing to a tubescreamer- Ideally it has some bass cut to keep the low end controlled but not as dramatic as a typical TS, a mid boost but not as nasal/pointed as a TS and is more crunchy and snarly in character than a TS, and a more open top end and less compressed. Must be able to provide its own clipping and not be a tc integrated preamp derivative.

Suggestions?
 
100 % an Origin Halcyon Gold. Sounds and feels like a hifi KLON type of OD (more upper mid emphasis vs the honkier TS mid character). FWIW I hate tube screamers
 
Last edited:
Harder to get now but maybe a Maxon St9Pro+. They are still available on ebay for a decent price. There is also The Warm Audio Fluff Drive (yeah I know a Youtuber pedal) that is basically the same pedal but with a noise gate added I think.
 
ProCo RAT is one of my favorite articulate boosts with built-in clipping.
 
I like the Lichtlaerm King in Yellow a lot, it’s what I’ve been using lately with my recto
 
SD-1 with the buffer removed ( real true bypass not just mechanical ) freq pot added that let's you tailor the clipping frequency to add bass or cut it
plus five different clipping diode options ....

I can do the same thing to a original 808 circuit ...

should have a " Planet of the Vapes " finished today which is also a modded Screamer .....will have the same Freq pot ... a Blend pot and some clipping options on a toggle

all built with high end components ...
1786791022146.png
 
You describe what you want. And maybe that is what you want. But the recto has so much low end that it doesn't need a boost with low end.

I know that you are dead set on this feature set, but try a 33 in front of it. It still has the low mid voicing, but actually wakes the fuck up and becomes beautiful and tight
 
If you don't go that route, and i really couldn't recommend trying it any harder, the best boost I have found for keeping your amp's natural characteristic is a lehle volume 90. It works with a very balanced amp, and I haven't tried it with a recto which is very dark, but it is an amazing pedal for more than just a boost.

But like I said, it is the cleanest boost I have used
 
KSR eros is the best modern style drive

Otherwise I would get a voodoo labs sparkle drive if you want classic 808
 
I’ve been using the Suhr KoKo Boost (original version) on my 90s Reissue lately - running it with the switch to the left and in mid boost mode, mids set at 2 o’clock ish. Definitely less nasal and less bass cut than the TS9, more open
 
Maybe try a MXR Sugar Drive.
Or a Custom Badass Modified OD - The M-77. It's been my favorite pedal for quite some time. If you want a BETTER Tubescreamer, try the Fortin Modded TS-9, or the Maxon OD 808. Heck, even The MXR GT-OD is better. It has a warm mid bump, but not over-the-top, and a punchy low end. You can find them cheap. I paid $60 like new.
 
Fortin TS9 kills with Rectos, and everything else for that matter.
Shaves less bass than stock, snarly and aggressive af, and has the juiciest mids of any boost I’ve tried, with absolutely zero nasalness or honk.
 
Or a Custom Badass Modified OD - The M-77. It's been my favorite pedal for quite some time. If you want a BETTER Tubescreamer, try the Fortin Modded TS-9, or the Maxon OD 808. Heck, even The MXR GT-OD is better. It has a warm mid bump, but not over-the-top, and a punchy low end. You can find them cheap. I paid $60 like new.
I always wanted to try the fortin ts9
 
Back
Top