Boosting with OD pedal: dumb question

I find that traditional Tube Screamers don't really reach unity gain (with hot pickups) until you max the level. And even then, it depends on the pickups.

Level maxed, drive off or very low, tone at about noon or 1 o'clock. Those are my usual tubescreamer settings. I usually have the gain on the amp backed off a bit when boosting.

I use a Boss SD-1, Level at 10-11 o'clock, Drive at 1;00-2:00 o'clock, and the Tone just backed off a hair from full up. I'm pretty sure it's just a passive type cut control so it's not boosting highs at that position, just not rolling off much high end. On a pre-JCM 800 the preamp level is up full, on a JCM 800 it's dialed to taste.

Not a dumb question at all. I think where the knobs on the amp and stomp settle in has a lot to do with the amp and stomp. A comparatively gentle, subtle OD pedal may require a higher setting to keep up with a hotter ‘distortion’ style pedal. I completely agree with tweaking the amp first - with no pedal - to get the very best ‘tone’ you possibly can out of it, then rely on the pedal for what ideally is just that extra touch of compression and sustain.

Boss SD-1, gain and level all the way up.
I can't see how that would sound good in front of an already distorted guitar tone. It would probably sound pretty nasty and feedback like crazy, but if that is what you are going for...

I can't see how that would sound good in front of an already distorted guitar tone. It would probably sound pretty nasty and feedback like crazy, but if that is what you are going for...
well it doesnt exactly sound like what you described lol. Here is how it sounds and actually with this tone I can have no attenuator, be right next to the amp (no mv by the way) and it doesnt feedback even at the ridiculous volume.

well it doesnt exactly sound like what you described lol. Here is how it sounds and actually with this tone I can have no attenuator, be right next to the amp (no mv by the way) and it doesnt feedback even at the ridiculous volume.

That sounds thick and velvety as fuck. I love the smiles, and how you tear ass on $500 LTD’s. :rock:

That sounds thick and velvety as fuck. I love the smiles, and how you tear ass on $500 LTD’s. :rock:
haha thank you man! I love the EC-256. Seems everyone changes the pups. I put a duncan distortion in and immediately took it out and put the stock one back in. I really dig those guitars completely stock. I have about 10 of em now. MF and GC sometimes blow em out for $250, i can never pass those up lol

Totally depends on the amp imo. Amps like my triple rec, or the jsx, have a lot of gain, so i basically just use level at 12:00-1:00, and tone to taste. When i was using jcm800’s, it was level maxed, and sometimes double boosted lol.

haha thank you man! I love the EC-256. Seems everyone changes the pups. I put a duncan distortion in and immediately took it out and put the stock one back in. I really dig those guitars completely stock. I have about 10 of em now. MF and GC sometimes blow em out for $250, i can never pass those up lol

Interesting, I bought one of those $250 blowouts just to put some emg’s i had in, not even sure I tried the stock pickups. Not sure there’s a better guitar out there for the money than the 256

pedal volume high, ASSUMING, my amp is saturating a bit.

if i have a lot of headroom left, then ill add more amp gain and up to 40ish % of the pedals gain.

but id rather have the amp saturating somewhat and use the pedal’s extra volume to push me over the proverbial, spinal tap cliff

oh and i run my amps a bit dark and my klone / ts style tone usually 12-2 oclock which is bright to most here, but they blend great for me this way

Lets see here, lets test a really common boost, with an amp with massive headroom. How about, my Larry Dino, with a maxon 808.

Even a little past 1 o clock, with the overdrive at zero, I get a massive gain boost.

PXL_20210502_023529701.jpg

If you can't even reach UNITY? there's something wrong in your chain, dude.

I don't know what it is, exactly, but theres no way you shouldnt be reaching unity gain unless your amps headroom is gone.

Lets see here, lets test a really common boost, with an amp with massive headroom. How about, my Larry Dino, with a maxon 808.

Even a little past 1 o clock, with the overdrive at zero, I get a massive gain boost.

View attachment 77070

If you can't even reach UNITY? there's something wrong in your chain, dude.

I don't know what it is, exactly, but theres no way you shouldnt be reaching unity gain unless your amps headroom is gone.

Damn the first part of that clip (unboosted?) sounded amazing

And glad to see I'm not the only one with a beat OD808. Mine has old Strat knobs for the top two and is missing a knob for the tone.

Depends on the amp and the boost.

I usually use either a PlxFx Bion boost or an EQD Plumes.

The Bion is straight awesome and can do whatever, but the Plumes is way more picky. I actually thought it might have been broken, using in front of my Herbert, but after switching amps and having it sound great in front of my Dual Dark I gave it another shot with the Herb.

Turns out the accepted formula that we all start at was too hot for the Diezel; had to turn the level down a LOT for it to work. Only amp I’ve ever had to do that with.

DINO amps are designed for not having a boost of any kind in front of it. There's really no requirement for a booster.
In the DINO 939 there's a internal boost to switch the British channel from British Crunch/Crush to British HotRod
The Scream channel is permanently boosted
Even with the California channel when switching it from Clean to SRV mode, it's kind of having a 808 in front of the amp

Back