Boss Katana Review

I know most of you guys up here use high end tube amps, but I thought I would leave this for anyone contemplating a Katana. I wished I had stumbled across a similar review before purchasing mine (would have saved me a bunch of time and aggravation).

Review of the Boss Katana 100

I purchased this with the Roland GA-FC foot controller.

What I was initially looking for: I purchased this amp after being out of the gigging business for over a decade. I had no gear, and I wanted a decent sounding amp that didn't cost a lot, and I didn’t want to initially shell out hundreds of extra dollars for pedals. For this, the amp delivered in spades. Overall the Katana is a decent amp, but at the end of the day I returned it, and instead went with the Orange CR-60 (and some pedals).

The Good:
* Decent range of distortion from mild crunch to Metal.
* Over 50 effects available with version 3 of the firmware. Most of them pretty good sounding.
* Plenty of volume - even in a loud cover band I never needed the 100 watt setting.
* Sounds decent at higher volumes (unlike many cheap amps).
* Works with regular foot controller to switch channels, or with Roland GA-FC. With GA-FC two banks of presets (4 each) are accessible.
* Line out with speaker emulation that does not change with master volume on the amp.
* Can export/import your settings to/from a Mac or PC, making setup of a second/spare Katana a breeze.

The Bad:
* Only a handful of effects are accessible from the top panel.
* You MUST have a PC or Mac available to access the other effects and tweak your tone to taste.
* Upgrading the amp (mine arrived with version 2) to version 3 and setting up the Macintosh software was “less than plug and play”. Not super difficult, but took more effort than it should have.
* The distortion sounds are very “hi-fi” sounding, kind of what you hear in over-produced recordings. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it makes it difficult to cut through a mix in a band situation.
* After spending hours tweaking the T-Wah settings, I gave up and purchased a Morley Wah pedal instead. Most of the the other effects are decent to excellent though.
* No USB C connector (USB B only).

The Ugly:
* The Amp doesn’t make a great gigging rig because there is no easy way to tweak it on stage quickly unless you bring a laptop computer. Need a little more volume on preset three? Touch the volume knob and it jumps the volume to whatever the panel is set to at the time. Switch back to preset 2 to compare and you just lost your setting. This forces the guitarist into an endless cycle of “touch, guess, save, compare” before getting it right. This could take 30 - 45 seconds for an operation that should literally take 2 seconds.
* No iPad, Android, or iPhone app. Boss really missed the boat here. Every guitarist pretty much brings at least one iOS or Android device to a gig. No one brings a laptop. This is the amps biggest downfall. Without an Android or iOS app this amp just isn’t very gig friendly……making that 2 second single channel volume tweak mentioned above all but impossible to do quickly.

Bottom Line:
Great amp for the studio or bedroom. But if gigging is your thing, I would look elsewhere.

Good review. I'm a big fan of the Katana. I have the 100 head. Mainly I bought it for the features and value. Took me a bit to dial it in using the software, but once i did, it's been pretty much set and forget. I'm just at an at home hack but this little amp has been pretty gratifying for me.

Avi8r2005":ip0pupeo said:
Good review. I'm a big fan of the Katana. I have the 100 head. Mainly I bought it for the features and value. Took me a bit to dial it in using the software, but once i did, it's been pretty much set and forget. I'm just at an at home hack but this little amp has been pretty gratifying for me.

Agreed.

I initially purchased this knowing that it would soon be my backup amp, and TBH I contemplated keeping it just to have something to plink on in the bedroom, but atm I have more important gear needs (primarily the acquisition of a small tube combo). For the price, there's no arguing the Katana is one of the best values on the market, especially considering how many effects it comes with.

I agree with your review 100%. I was looking for the very same thing you were..a cheap gigging amp that I didn't care about too much. It just was not for me, in a band setting, and it's not the volume or anything else. I think it could just be the ultimate writing/creation amp. But I just could not gig it. I also agree with you about the Orange CR series. What hidden gems!

I recently got the 100 combo. I don't get what all the fuss is about. It sounds ok for a bedroom amp I guess. Guys over at TGP talking about selling their tube amps and gigging a Katana. :no: :LOL: :LOL:

I got mine two years ago and have never messed with the firmware. Whatever it came with is sounds fine to me. It has rescued me twice at gigs. I use it as a backup for band work and as a practice amp in the living room, when plinking in front of the computer and tv. I'm a Marshall head guy, but I can make the Katana do what I need it to do with no laptop or anything other than a few knob tweaks.

There are some really cool tones to be had but you either need to get really good with the software or buy them online from a 3rd party tweaker.

I love the "hidden" Marshall sounds and basically use different versions of them. I think the amp sounds great. Also works wonderful as the 2nd piece in a stereo rig or in a dry/wet setup. Going into the RETURN works great.

I've had one since right around when they came out (100W head). I'm not into tweaking, I just like to turn a few knobs and dial in a good tone and go. I hooked it up once to the software just to download a ring modulator effect. I spent so much time dialing in an Axe-FX years ago, I've grown to hate digital tweaking.

For a nice more processed 80's hard rock sound, very good results at bedroom levels. I have a pedal rig that sounds better, but for a lightweight little box I can carry around the house, its great for the money. Thought the Brown setting was decent, but settled on the Lead as my favorite. Wish I could run chorus and delay at the same time.

Classic rock crunch, kind of lackluster. Passable, but not as nice as the harder sound. Kind of the same feeling trying to go heavier into thrash territory, not quite as convincing to me.

Started using it at rehearsal volumes in a mix. Very usable, not something that would replace a real amp for me overall, but no concerns as a backup/fill-in. Missing some of that thump of the real deal, but not bad at all. Agree with the OP on tweaking on the fly.

I like it for what it is, so little money, good utility. Can definitely understand the mix of opinions though.

Rock Bodom":jjz1g1w2 said:
Wish I could run chorus and delay at the same time.

Pretty sure running chorus and delay is possible. Don't have it in front of me to verify, but from memory I'm pretty sure Chorus is under the Boost/Mod menu and Delay can be accessed under the Delay/FX menu......... or conversely you can use the Delay + Reverb option under Reverb menu.

Edit: Likely you need the editor to do this though.

I must be missing something. Set channels volumes to correspond with each other. Rhythm( crunch), Lead, Clean, then turn up or down the master volume and all channels respond accordingly. If I had to adjust a channel volume outside of that yes.. that's a problem. I set them years ago and have not had a problem. I've giged with it with ease of master up or down for the room. Of course I only play in small clubs. I use midi for channel select not sure if that's any more reliable for levels that are pre set. Pretty simple. I need to update the software and maybe edit again. Hell.its only been 3 years.

Pentatonic":au0bxc2a said:
Don't have it in front of me to verify, but from memory I'm pretty sure Chorus is under the Boost/Mod menu and Delay can be accessed under the Delay/FX menu......... or conversely you can use the Delay + Reverb option under Reverb menu.

Edit: Likely you need the editor to do this though.

Rick Lee":au0bxc2a said:
I run chorus and delay together. It's just a knob tweak.

My memory is horrible, I totally said it wrong. Chorus and delay are on separate knobs, it was boost and chorus I wanted to run at the same time (which are on the same knob). I want to boost the lead channel, then chorus, then delay. If I can reassign knob(s) to do that, it is probably worth going back into the editor, despite my technology hangups!

I got the Katana Artist. I think the speaker sounds better than the other combos, more articulate high end with and more punch in the low end. I mostly use it for practice and home recording so it mostly stays on the .5 watt setting. The gain tones sound a bit processed, but I'm fine with that. Overall it seems like a great fit for me, YMMV.

Rock Bodom":3qcq8vi2 said:
My memory is horrible, I totally said it wrong. Chorus and delay are on separate knobs, it was boost and chorus I wanted to run at the same time (which are on the same knob). I want to boost the lead channel, then chorus, then delay. If I can reassign knob(s) to do that, it is probably worth going back into the editor, despite my technology hangups!

you can reassign the chorus to the mod/dly knob. You can also now have delay and reverb together on the reverb knob (you can't adjust the delay times etc when it is set to rev/dly ... but you can just make the reverb knob a delay if you wan from memory)

There are several varieties of Boss Katana: Artist, MINI, head, MK2. On Artist cool chip built-in Power attenuator 50w 25w 0.5 w. The mk2 model does not have this, but there are a lot of interesting effects that you can sit with for a very long time. Mini is portable and can run on batteries. I really liked the review where Boss Katana amplifiers are compared to different Tube amp. In my opinion, a clear sound and Crunch sounds better on tube amp. https://stereodamage.com/boss-katana-amp-vs-tube-amp/

Back