Boss SD-1 with “Heavy EJ” mod

dstroud

First off let me say I love the SD-1 stock. But I’ve also found some mods I like as well. Here’s a new track I just wrote/recorded - for the tone that kicks in at 25 seconds I’m using the SD-1 with what I call the “Heavy EJ mod”. Going for a quasi Eric Johnson tone with more gain and a bit more attack. Delay is a pro tools plugin. Amp my Blankenship Masterplex - based off a JCM 800 and is set to about AC/DC crunch. For the clean tone I’m using a Zoom MS-50G. I have a patch with eq that has level down to clean up the amp and eq’d to brighten the tone, a compressor to give sustain and chorus/delay. I have an a/b loop pedal to switch between the sd-1/zoom unit. Hope you dig it!!

Sounds great! So all that smoothing is the SD-1, the base amp tone is bright (or at least normal AC/DC bright)? Getting that kiss at the front end of the attack with all that smoothing has always been difficult but you still have some of that.

Sounds great! So all that smoothing is the SD-1, the base amp tone is bright (or at least normal AC/DC bright)? Getting that kiss at the front end of the attack with all that smoothing has always been difficult but you still have some of that.
yes what you described exactly. I can actually back down the pedal gain and tone and get more like EJ - I have another tune to video and will probably do that.

Back