BOSS SDE-3000EVH, interesting..

I'd set myself on fire to get that pedal.

My wallet starts shaking everytime I see a product like that. Dammit!!

Separate from how cool the pedal is just based on features, for EVH fans is is a great collectible to have and way to remember Eddie and those tones. Man that thing is cool.

I skimmed through the manuals for both units. There is nothing implicitly stated about a kill/dry function for parallel FX loops but there is mention of some of the outputs having direct, mixed or delay only 'modes' of operation. I suppose delay only implies a true wet output like the originals had but again, no real mention of kill/dry capabilities. I'm very interested in this but not having a true FX only output is an absolute deal breaker for me.

The EVH one does have FX only output capability. It’s designed to do full W/D/W right out of the box. The non EVH one has more typical stereo in, stereo out. The Pete vid is good because he goes through multiple configs with pop up diagrams.

I like a lot of the features and that noise gate is nice. I could use it instead of rack delay and easily not have the hiss plus have it at my feet. First time I've wanted another delay since a Nemesis and that's a long time for me.

Having a dd500 I don’t know if I really needs this but the noise gate is nice.
I’ve never tried w/d/w and this seems pretty easy with this delay since it’s using the preamp of the dry amp.

Attachments

• IMG_8728.jpeg
    IMG_8728.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 60
I like a lot of the features and that noise gate is nice. I could use it instead of rack delay and easily not have the hiss plus have it at my feet. First time I've wanted another delay since a Nemesis and that's a long time for me.
Only pause for me is no midi and my Nemesis is midi'ed up on my big board so can't replace that one. Maybe my smaller non midi board which I'm currently bouncing between the Nemesis, Timeline and Collider. I'm a delay fanatic and the SDE is legend so may buy just to own lol.

Last edited:
It's very weird to see Boss come out with a signature pedal.

Given how prominently Eddie used delay throughout his career, the absence of a delay in the EVH lineup was pretty jarring.

I kinda figured they would get MXR to do it, considering the MXR/EVH Chorus is based on the Roland DC-30 Eddie used on Diver Down. So I'm a little surprised they went for the full omega retro recreation of the SDE-3000.

I'm further surprised that there is no compact option, cramming all of this into a four-knob compact seems right up Boss's alley.

Replicating the rack setup and specifically tailoring the pedal for W/D/W is really fucking cool.

I would have liked to see a Cathedral preset included. I know that live Eddie used the Lexicon PCM70 for that, but I'm sure it could be replicated with this, since both DDL1 and DDL2 can be run with different delay times in left and right channels. Set DDL1 to 424ms in both channels, set DDL2 to 398 in left and 798 in right. Then again, it could be built in and nobody has just demoed it. It's weird that the explanation of the EVH presets they don't give any examples of what he used them for.

I probably wouldn't go for the EVH model, with my IR-200 I would just need the unit to give left and right wet sounds with no dry. But the manual does a poor job at explaining whether or not it will output in stereo with dry mute on - I assume it would but I'd need to confirm it.

God this thing gives me GAS.

I probably wouldn't go for the EVH model, with my IR-200 I would just need the unit to give left and right wet sounds with no dry. But the manual does a poor job at explaining whether or not it will output in stereo with dry mute on
Could you just use the L/R wets from the pedal and then not even use the dry output?

I like that offset feature too. Once you dial in your offset between L/R, you can tap tempo all you want and your offset remains. Usually tap tempo overrides any offsets.

Could you just use the L/R wets from the pedal and then not even use the dry output?

I like that offset feature too. Once you dial in your offset between L/R, you can tap tempo all you want and your offset remains. Usually tap tempo overrides any offsets.
The EVH model can definitely do that, but the manual for the standard 3000D is unclear on whether it outputs in stereo when dry kill is on.

The more I look into this pedal the more powerful it seems. I think the closest competition in this class is the Strymon Dig, and the flexibility on this blows that out of the water. I love Boss.

I use the SDE setting on the DD-500 and love it. This one looks cool, but I don't think I would have a use for it with already having the DD-500.
Same here; only reason I bought the DD-500 was so that I could run dual delay settings with the SDE/vintage digital setting. I still don't feel like I've scratched the surface on what the DD-500 can do.

I cracked and bought it. Not the EVH model, just the regular. With the IR-200's effects loop I can mix my dry in without a third output.

It's expensive but it sounds fantastic and it's as versatile as I'd hoped it would be. Two stereo delays, each with independent left and right times, that can be mixed in three different configurations, plus modulation, phase reversal, ping-pong, offset, a very flexible tap tempo, it's a lot of horsepower. The DD-500 is probably a better value with its wider featureset but I don't know if it can do everything this can either. If you want this specific sound, it delivers big.

But for me, my favorite part is the interface. That was honestly the deciding factor between this and a DD-500. I love the big, bold and blue digital readout that I don't have to kneel and squint at to read.

Back