bought half a beef this week.

JackBootedThug

MURDERATOR
1300 bux for 350-360 lbs. of beef. If any of you are interested this is how it went. came out to $3/lbs. hanging weight. basically 1100 something was my cost. Butcher charged .40/lbs. processing and $25 kill fee...plus extra $30 for cube steak. My butchers bill was 205. Roughly 1300 and my fucking fridge is full. Kill fee is 50 but it was split because I split the cow. Have a hog coming in January. Menonites are doing it so it will be all cut and cured. If you have menonites or amish areound-that's who you want to do your butcher work...imo....

Black angus and grass fed. no shots and no hormones. 4 to 6 weeks out they put them in the barn lot and feed them nothing but a steady diet of grain. Then after killing they hang for two weeks before processing. In case any of you were interested in the process. Hogs are cheaper and easier to do because of size. Historically around here whenever the first frost hits-it's time to start working up the hogs. Half a hog your looking at 1 ham, 1 picnic ham, 2 trotters, 2 feet, 1 loin, shoulder roast, and belly. any offal you want eg. chitlins,toungue,liver,heart....and I forgot the jowel. and fat, and fatback....market on pork around here is 1.00/lbs...but adds up with the smoking and processing.

Black angus and grass fed. no shots and no hormones. 4 to 6 weeks out they put them in the barn lot and feed them nothing but a steady diet of grain. Then after killing they hang for two weeks before processing. In case any of you were interested in the process. Hogs are cheaper and easier to do because of size. Historically around here whenever the first frost hits-it's time to start working up the hogs. Half a hog your looking at 1 ham, 1 picnic ham, 2 trotters, 2 feet, 1 loin, shoulder roast, and belly. any offal you want eg. chitlins,toungue,liver,heart....and I forgot the jowel. and fat, and fatback....market on pork around here is 1.00/lbs...but adds up with the smoking and processing.
Same. I got a 1/4 last year that lasted pretty much all year. Still had some steak soup bones and cubed and just bought another 1/4 from the same farmer/friend at the beginning of summer. So much better and cheaper than store stuff. Don't ever want to go back :yes:

Local doctor is raising bison on the side. pricey but I'm gonna get some....I've had the burger before and it's great.
Bison is good, but it's very lean. Still absolutely delicious and healthful. I used to do a 80/20 blend..with 80% bison and 20% 80/20 beef. That's some beef math!

Back