Brain Setzer thread - he kicks my ass every time I hear him!

He’s in my top 5 right next to Tony, Angus, Gary and the other Brian. With his vocal ability he’s the George Benson of rockabilly. What I love is when somebody is usually the commercial standout in a genre there’s no way they’re actually one of the best, or even the best. There should be some one more underground or mid tier, commercially, who is the monster, but no, it’s Setzer. I’ve heard so much rockabilly and psychobilly since the 80’s and I’ve never heard a player who can touch his command of the guitar or even his singing. Chris Cheney got my attention in 2000 but he still doesn’t have the variety and vocabulary that Setzer has. Yeah…I’m a fan 😂

An absolute Masterclass in Rockabilly guitar…

Last edited:
He’s in my top 5 right next to Tony, Angus, Gary and the other Brian. With his vocal ability he’s the George Benson of rockabilly. What I love is when somebody is usually the commercial standout in a genre there’s no way there actually one of the best, or even the best. There should be some one more underground or mid tier, commercially, who is the monster, but no, it’s Setzer. I’ve heard so much rockabilly and psychobilly since the 80’s and I’ve never heard a player who can touch his command of the guitar or even his singing. Chris Cheney got my attention in 2000 but he still doesn’t have the variety and vocabulary that Setzer has. Yeah…I’m a fan 😂

An absolute Masterclass in Rockabilly guitar…

Yeah, Brian's the KING. I've never heard anyone come close to his talent.

He's a talented guy. And he has great tone. I have always enjoyed this one:

Damn! Thanks brother! Wow, what a groove! His band is hot AF. They're on fire and it seems to me that they're always uppin' their game. Talk about swingin'! Brian has that patented snarl to his tone. This is a smokin' track. Damn, I love that guy's playing. His rig is very simple. Pure tone. I posted about his gear in post #6.

Damn! Thanks brother! Wow, what a groove! His band is hot AF. They're on fire and it seems to me that they're always uppin' their game. Talk about swingin'! Brian has that patented snarl to his tone. This is a smokin' track. Damn, I love that guy's playing. His rig is very simple. Pure tone. I posted about his gear in post #6.
That's a great rig. Those bassmans are a great sounding amp. I'd even settle for a blackface or drip edge version but I let my bf 2x12 piggyback cab go cause I got the Twins. I see they want some serious dough for that roland echo too. A pretty spendy little operation to have two of everything but that's the "lifetime commitment" setup right there, and it sure sounds that way. Pretty much a gold standard for rockabilly tone. He's always immediately recognizable.

Much respect for Setzer. He carved out his niche and worked his ass off to get where he is. TBH, I think Bonamassa saw his method for success and sort of copied it but blues instead of rockabilly.

He’s a badass musician. He’s the first I ever heard make a Bigsby sound like a decent trem.

I'm with you 100%. Brian is amazing and I absolutely love rockabilly music. My profile picture here at Rig-Talk has a rockabilly feel. Setzer is one of my very favorites even though I don't sound anything like him. Hell, even my full sleeve tattoo is a vintage microphone and a Gretsch hollowbody surrounded by roses. I may not play guitar in that style but I am heavily influenced by him.

Ive seen setzer live 3xs, great player and always loved listening to him play his solos, i met him after a nyc show and he was nice and talked to him for a few min and he gave me a guitar pick he had in his pocket from earlier in the night, i owned 4 gretsch setzer guitars and they was great sounding and playing instruments although i did have issues with them going out of tune until i used heavier strings.

Back