BRITISH PURIST SH TUBE AMP by LARRY

novosibir

Quite modestly, but not without pride I can already announce today that a new star will appear on the amp heaven shortly.

It's the little brother of my well-known and popular BRITISH PURIST TUBE AMP by LARRY
Hence it bears almost the same name:

Here some photos of this extraordinary baby for a first impression:

IMG_8126.jpeg

IMG_8127.jpeg

IMG_8128.jpeg

IMG_8129.jpeg

IMG_8130.jpeg

IMG_8131.jpeg

IMG_8132.jpeg

The preamp section of this amp is almost identical to that of its big brother, the FX loop section (which is NOT placed in the signal path between the preamp and power amp sections) is exactly the same as that of its big brother...

... only the power amp section is taken from my Wrecky 35 and thus corresponds exactly to the power amp of mastermind Ken Fisher's (RIP) legendary Trainwreck Express with the transformers made to Ken's specifications by Pacific in Anaheim/CA.

IMG_8133.jpeg

I only had a custom version made for the power transformer so that it could be operated with a wall voltage of 115/120V and also with 230/240V (Europe).

Incidentally, the dimensions of the chassis correspond exactly to those of my Wrecky 35 and thus also to those of the Trainwreck Express - and I'm really proud of myself that I managed to accommodate the entire technology of the (big) British Purist into this small box.

Yes, the baby looks pretty complete from the outside - but I still have a lot of work to do on the inside before this baby will make its first sound:

IMG_8134.jpeg

Here the same thing again, but with the fiber eyelet boards installed as a test:

IMG_8147.jpeg

Be curious - there will be more information in about 2 weeks and until then you can guess what the abbreviation 'SH' in the name means :cool:

Quite modestly, but not without pride I can already announce today that a new star will appear on the amp heaven shortly.

It's the little brother of my well-known and popular BRITISH PURIST TUBE AMP by LARRY
Hence it bears almost the same name:

Here some photos of this extraordinary baby for a first impression:

View attachment 191053

View attachment 191062

View attachment 191068

View attachment 191077

View attachment 191080

View attachment 191086

View attachment 191089

The preamp section of this amp is almost identical to that of its big brother, the FX loop section (which is NOT placed in the signal path between the preamp and power amp sections) is exactly the same as that of its big brother...

... only the power amp section is taken from my Wrecky 35 and thus corresponds exactly to the power amp of mastermind Ken Fisher's (RIP) legendary Trainwreck Express with the transformers made to Ken's specifications by Pacific in Anaheim/CA.

View attachment 191092

I only had a custom version made for the power transformer so that it could be operated with a wall voltage of 115/120V and also with 230/240V (Europe).

Incidentally, the dimensions of the chassis correspond exactly to those of my Wrecky 35 and thus also to those of the Trainwreck Express - and I'm really proud of myself that I managed to accommodate the entire technology of the (big) British Purist into this small box.

Yes, the baby looks pretty complete from the outside - but I still have a lot of work to do on the inside before this baby will make its first sound:

View attachment 191107

Here the same thing again, but with the fiber eyelet boards installed as a test:

View attachment 191125

Be curious - there will be more information in about 2 weeks and until then you can guess what the abbreviation 'SH' in the name means :cool:

Well done, that’s your best amp.

Fantastic Larry ! You know, British Purist is on my radar now. :) I love that big punch and pure tube tone of this Green beauty.
The new Baby Purist is excellent idea, and beautiful Art we allways.

Beautiful amp Larry!! And I am sure it sounds fantastic.
I am sure too. The British Purist is pure tube tone and dynamic, very special amp. Best gear for the “ Guitar-Cable-Amp” type minimalist players.

Great resonant guitar + British Purist+ Vintage type 4x12 cabinet = Tone heaven

Thank You Master, but the first price is Yours for this new Baby. 👍😃
According the big chunky transformers the Small Head British Purist will sound not so small. Maybe 50 Watt ( or 35) destroying pure tube power? 🤫

Last edited:
Some impressions from my bench from tonight:

IMG_8184.jpeg

Here again with the Sicilian message.
PLX can explain their meaning to you :cool:

Some closer:

IMG_8185.jpeg

A bit darker around:

IMG_8188.jpeg

And still darker, to make the beautiful glow of the tubes more visible:

IMG_8189.jpeg

I had worked through the past night - as so often when I'm already on the home stretch with building an amp.
So I went to bed first thing in the morning at 10:00 am, then got up again at 2:00 pm, switched the amp on again - and shit...

... holy shit, this little baby has an almost divine sound - and it already does, although the SoZo's and the output transformer are still far from burned in 😊 😍 😇

To be continued.

Last edited:
... holy shit, this little baby has an almost divine sound - and it already does, although the SoZo's and the output transformer are still far from burned in 😊 😍 😇

To be continued.

On the Baby photo I find the DC blocker in your power supply chain. For the delicate amps, is a must have. Before DC blocker I am running Volt regulator too. Its incredible, how important is the perfect clean input voltage for the tube amps. Better sound, less pressure on the components, less heat and smooth amp running.

Attachments

• 4903206C-4C69-4AF8-A3E4-BACA2FD3A9A8.jpeg
    4903206C-4C69-4AF8-A3E4-BACA2FD3A9A8.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Yes Andor, because of your hot recommendation I bought two of them and was surprised...

... because I could not have imagined that even my amps could sound better than they already do o_O 😊 :thumbsup:
The DC blocker filters out noise from the mains ?

:unsure:

Energy can never be destroyed, only transformed.

The DC blocker filters out noise from the mains ?

:unsure:

Energy can never be destroyed, only transformed.

All my big 100W amplifiers already have a mains filter integrated, which filters out interference and RF from the supply voltage and thus relieves the rectification and filtering. Here seen left:

IMG_1667.JPG

The small audiolab box is doing quite the same, but additional it filters out DC, what always is riding on the AC supply voltage and which sometimes strongly deforms and decenters the ideal sine of the wall voltage's AC, which is a nuisance and high load for every rectification and filtering and unnecessarily costs power.

It's like having to jog with a 20-30 pound backpack all the time 🤷‍♂️ 😊

All my big 100W amplifiers already have a mains filter integrated, which filters out interference and RF from the supply voltage and thus relieves the rectification and filtering. Here seen left:

View attachment 196531

The small audiolab box is doing quite the same, but additional it filters out DC, what always is riding on the AC supply voltage and which sometimes strongly deforms and decenters the ideal sine of the wall voltage's AC, which is a nuisance and high load for every rectification and filtering and unnecessarily costs power.

It's like having to jog with a 20-30 pound backpack all the time 🤷‍♂️ 😊
Appreciate the information !

So, in an older Marshall amp, something like this would benefit the amp in getting rid of line noise inherent to those amps ?

ro4klzx.jpg

Back