Build myself a 1x12"cabinet 100 Watt, 12 Pounds (video)

hjw

Hi,

My first post here, i have been visiting this forum a few times and thanks for the AxeFX gas!

Can't wait to order mine, but will take a few more months I guess, until that time I use a Vox Tonelab LE, not bad but not great either. Eventually I want to go completely in-ear but sometimes we go direct and then I need a linear amp to amplify the modeling sounds. To do this I build this cool little cabinet, is loaded with a one 12”speaker and includes a very linear 100 Watt poweramp, the cool thing is the weight about 12 pounds (the entire cabinet), guitar on the back and I can walk to my gigs.

Here is a video, what do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-BrkZlrNHI

Hugo

Thx Jason,

I'm still quite happy with it, tweaked it yesterday for a few more hours, and even the acoustic tones are not too bad. I will post another video when I ordered the AxeFX.

Cheers

It´s a class D poweramp, very linear, I first tried my hifi amplifier but got mediocre results this works much better.

That sounds good in the video ! That would make a great companion for a modeler.

Any chance of getting a little more detail on how you built it....speakers, amp, ports, wood price ?

GITTarzann":3w1kk2tc said:
That sounds good in the video ! That would make a great companion for a modeler.

Any chance of getting a little more detail on how you built it....speakers, amp, ports, wood price ?

Sure, the plywood is the cheapest stuff you can get, but it is also very light, I think, and there are probably a lot folks that disagree, it doesn't really matters what kind of wood you use, it all depends on the rigidity. The poweramp is a Class D poweramp, with a switching power supply to keep the weight to a minimum, speaker has a neodymium speaker. Cabinet is roughly based on a Bogner cube.

The idea was indeed to make a perfect cabinet for a modeler, I just good sick and tired of hauling too much stuff around. The great advantages for me of modeling is the fact that is not so hard to get a couple of good sounds and of course the low weight and size. From that perspective it isn't logical to get a great modeler (i.e. AxeFX) that simulates poweramp behavior as well, and then buy some heavy powered cabinet or tubeamp to amplify the sound.

Thanks for the tips Hugo.

So did you use car audio stuff for this build?

I did a search for a 100 watt class d power amp and the first that came up were very powerful car amps....then did a search for the speakers and car audio came up as well.

I'm not gonna spil everything, as we are still finetuning it. But most of the info I gave in some of my earlier post.

Back